The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in running the bigger piston in the iron liner. The thickness seems a bit marginal to me but would rather hear some real world input from someone who's done it.

Not a lot of all-out motors being built on this platform, but it never hurts to ask, no?
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi well today I say a xt225 for sale and deceided I need it to see it (at least) and ask a couple of questions. I live in Baja and this bike is not sell in Mexico, and as any one will tell, I want what I can't have!

So I got a price quote for $2,400 USD but it has Californian plates, so that means another 600-1000 so very expensive to have legally in the country (of course nobody care if I just slap my plate from my any other bike).

Here is my question specially for people from the USA from a state that has no real winter (San Diego, LA from California, Arizona?, Florida) How much would a XT225 sell for? I know it all depends on many conditions, but from a very fast left side view the bike said TOO EXPENSIVE! but an good maintained bike with average miles, how much?

And the second question, (for all) how long will the engine last? (assuming good care) This one had almost 50,000 miles! and I know this is not much for a GS1200 but this is a small engine, that was used in the US so maybe some hwy/interstate miles (at high speeds), So I think this was not care for very nicely, it had a bent level, bent front fender, that is all I saw WITHOUT TAKING MY HELMET OFF AND NO GLASSES, so I am sure if I look I will see more thing. THe sales man was a SALES person so he gave me all the crap, "perfect conditions" "care for by my son in law"

This model is in my list of bikes I will like to have, so I was a little big sad.

Thanks for your time

Damasovi
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Walk away from that salesman! You should be able to find a clean XT225 with less than 3000 miles for less than $2000. Easily. To compare, I bought mine (a 2003 model, with 1700 miles) for $1700 in Southern California two years ago. They last pretty well, but at 50,000 miles it's VERY used. Typically, a top end will be needed at the 18,000 to 20,000 mile range.
  4. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    I understanding wanting what you cannot have, but there a some nice bikes they sell there that never made it here. I think the NX4 or XR250 are good choices. Did Honda sell the Bros in a 250? Yamaha's XTZ250 looks like a fine choice also.
  5. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
    I live in Tucson, AZ. Bought a 2003 XT one year ago - good shape - no problems, about 3000 miles on it, for $1450.
  6. Dirt2Street

Dirt2Street Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, I've had my XT for about 6 months now and I absolutely LOVE it!
    I'm looking to get a little more power out of it? So if I only removed the part of the snorkel on the inside of the airbox would I still have to re-jet it? Everything on the bike is completely stock right now. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
  7. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    The XT225 was common in Mexico before the Chinese bike invasion. It was even a common law enforcement bike.
    I would not buy one with 50k miles. Under 10k miles is common. Good ones can be found for $2000.
  8. The Cameraman

The Cameraman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is less than 3 years old, just passed 59,000 miles and had no engine work what so ever.

My previous bike was a 2005 XT250 Serow and that passed 75,000 miles in 3.5 years, had no engine work done, before being written off in a crash.

So with proper use and regular oil changes, these bikes will do the miles.

Regards

Reggie
  9. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's impressive. Thanks for changing my expectations!
  10. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Bought,
    2007 with 800 miles LIKE NEW in Socal $2,000 in 2009
    2006 with 4100 miles in Socal used properly $1300 in 2011

Heirhead
  11. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
    I live in San Diego and would sell you mine with less then 4000 miles on it for that price... Heck I will find five more to sell you at that price! No I am not seriously lookign to sell but that is a crazy price.
  12. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
  13. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    dont do it. it'll just be louder and leaner , and your too lean already from the factory.

jetting should be your first priority, but if you bent on doing something quick and easy then the z1 mod might be okay without rejet...not sure. Like i said, jetting needs fixed first.
  14. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:

i've never seen a big bore 225 so would you mind keeping us updated or starting a thread when you do it? none on xt225.com i could find either.
  15. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    I believe Muniac and others have thoroughy thrashed some big bores, though I'm not sure of their build specifics.. Actually was hoping he'd chime in or check his messages as I can't seem to join the site.

I'm a TW guy. Same motor, same heads, same basic hardware but a bit more involved (case mouths, output shafts, etc.) in building ours, The TW motors still have all STEEL innards (oil pump gears, etc.) in some places where their cousins now have plastic which may be of interest to XT/TTR builders and vice-versa.

I'm building a "big, but mild" 6-speed motor for mine. We have some 250cc+ big bore strokers among us and at least one 74mm bore that is thus far only been dyno'd., None of them have yet seen the kind of miles I have planned.. Figgered some of you might have gone 72 or larger.
  16. Dirt2Street

Dirt2Street Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm okay with the noise change.. :p
    So there really isn't anything I can do without rejetting it..? I don't have the experince to do it. I mean, I can work on them and all but rejetting has been the only thing I've never had to do.
  17. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hey CC,

Thought about looking at that one myself but bought a 95 dr350 with goodies, tank, ricors, new tires, sprockets, chain,
    rack. Something between my tw,xt and dr. To big, to small syndrome.

Heirhead
  18. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    There is just not a lot of hidden power there to find. Yes you can do everything to make it run smoother, better and snappier for what it is, but there arent even 10% more ponies in there.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but the engineers that design these bikes do a pretty good job. They have to deal with govt regs crap, like emissions and safety switches to protect us from ourselves AND make a bike that is dependable and ride worthy. Compromises. They do a pretty awesome job. Whatever the bike platform, we can effect it a small percentage, but if we do too much trying to make a bike something it is not, we screw something else about it up.

Everything is a balance. I think most would agree that most carb bikes probably come from the factory in a lean condition, maybe to help meet emissions requirements. To me, that means we have to get a little more gas into the existing flow to correct that. If you just "open up the airbox", that just makes it more lean. Wrong direction.

What little bit of extra power hidden in there is usually released by giving the flow more gas. More gas generally equals more power. You wont get more power by giving it less fuel. Well, remember the balance. Gas is mixed with air in proper sized proportions and bites, then the exhaust is pushed out. To release the small amount of power that may be in there, you have to give it more gas AND more air to retain the proportions. Well, more gas and air yields more exhaust. The stock exhaust is designed to remain quiet and suppress sparks while letting out the exhaust created by the stock amount of gas and air. If you give it more gas and air, you have to allow a corresponding increase of exhaust to be pushed out with a more open after market exhaust.or drill out the stock exhaust to allow more exhaust gasses to escape. Balance and proportion.

So, when folks go for broke for all the available power that a particular bike can possibly create, they "open 'er up". Both ends and in the middle. Thus, bigger jets to let more gas in, less restrictive airbox to let in more air to mix with the more gas, and an aftermarket or drilled out stock exhaust that will allow the increased exhaust gasses to escape.

All in proportion.

I like stock and quiet exhausts and airboxes. Yes, an opened airbox is irritatingly loud too. Yet I dont want my bike to be lean nor rich (although that changes with atmospheric pressure, altitude, humidity, etc), and I want it to have a responsive throttle and all the power it was designed to have before the govt screwed around with it.

So, HERE is my solution over on the specialty site. I slightly increased my jet sizes to allow a little more gas. Theoretically, to overcome the govt mandated factory lean condition at my elevation. Stock airbox and exhaust.

And, dont forget a nice clean carb is better. And dont forget to mess with the pilot screw to fine tune low rpm response.

I am VERY happy with the results.

So, please, no. Dont just open up your airbox..
  19. heirhead

Oddometer:
    Hello,

+1 on all you said.
    On my first xt did all of the mods.
    Likes: No more popping sounds, a little smoother, a little more power.
    Dislikes; Louder, 60 mpg instead of 75. No likee.

Next xt just a little bigger jet and 2.5 turns out.
    Like: very quiet, no more popping, smoother, 75 mpg. can't tell power difference.
    Dislikes; None
  20. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    My experience duplicates yours. I have done the same with both my xt's with identical results.

Mine popped like a popcorn machine. Almost always an indication of lean. My 03 was terribly neglected before I rescued it, so just a good cleaning of the carb and jet orifices helped a lot. Then the larger main and pilot really solved all the issues as you describe.

I am running a 127.5 main, a 42.5 pilot with 2.75 turns out on the pilot adjust screw. They run awesomely!. They start easily, fast warm up and snappy over all. Throttle response is great at all rpm's and when I close the throttle, the rpms fall right to idle as they should. No more of that hanging high rpm crap.

I hesitate to say that it increased the power. I think they just run like they are supposed to now. So, I guess back to regular power from crippled power sure feels like an increase.

I cannot overstate the difference from when I got them and how pleased I am with the way they run now.