Tubed tire changing tips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yooperbikemike, Jun 6, 2013.

1. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    I've mounted my own tubeless tires for years and have all the tools and techniques down. However, I've never changed a tubed tire and am looking for tips. Tires and new tubes will be mounted on a DR650, if that makes any difference.
  2. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    youtube
  3. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep lotsa spare tubes around ... I suk. Fuk pinched another ... DOH!
  4. QSrider

QSrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The valve stem and don't pinch the tube.
    As previously mentioned, youtube is loaded with good video.
    Good luck.
  5. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
  6. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    putting a little air in the tube when inserting it helps to prevent pinch flats...

a narrow strap or long zip tie through the axle hole will keep your bearing caps and sprocket/cush on the wheel so you don't fill everything with sand/mud on the side of the trail

ride the tire with very low pressure for a bit to warm it up and it will be much easier to break the bead on the side of the trail.

i turn my bead buddy on its side to hold the tire bead up off the rim when im fighting to insert the valve stem in the rim...it makes room for your hands. i use a valve threader but you still need to get your paws in there.

lots of talc.....Murphy's oil soap for lube....it wont leave behind a sticky mess for next time....or windex..i use that too.

there is no Spanish word for windex.
  7. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread proved to be super helpful for me on my foray with changing tubes: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

I think the best advice from that is keeping the tube somewhat inflated while trying to mount the tire on the rim. I managed to pinch 2 tubes on my first try, which meant two humbling trips to the local shop to pick up replacements. They likely would have been avoided if I'd kept more air in the tubes.
  8. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use some heavy duty zip ties and it is nearly impossible to pinch a tube, the tube is inflated just enough to round it out and placed in the tire first, then both beads are mounted at the same time. No need to cut the zip ties once the tire is on, the locking tab can be released w/ a small screwdriver, a knife, etc. so it can be reused. Learned this method on another thread here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597 and have mounted several tires easily and am completely sold on it. Some DR650 (supermoto) tire mounting photos....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Practice, practice now.
    Talc the tube. Lube the bead. Be sure no debris is in the tire. After the first bead is on, slip the stem in the hole, air the tube up just to get any wrinkles out, then let most of the air back out. Be sure the first bead installed is down in the center of the wheel when working the last bead on.
    On dirt bike tubes, some guys leave the valve stem nut off so they can see if the tube is starting to spin when running low pressure.
  10. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like the tie wrap method BTW . I ve changed thousands of motorcycle tires since 74 mainly because I made a living at it but one can always learn a new trick .. Recently did a ride with 9 fellow Adv Riders at Ricks Randevous and one rider picked up a nail in her rear tire. In minutes the bike was balanced on a pile of dirt and rear wheel removed . Broke the bead ,marked the hole pulled the nail . Inside of tire checked for foriegn mtter, new tube provided by nother rider, installed with a stem puller from another rider Tire levered back on re-inflated , There were four battery powerd compressors present . Wheel remounted and off we went. Maybe 20 minutes . My point I guess is ,it is always good to know how to more ion the trail than in your shop. Practice that . Change your glue yearly in your patch kit.
  11. Treedguy

Treedguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zip tie trick looks awesome! Thanks.:clap
  12. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    ^ This.

Practice changing a tube/fixing a tire with the tools you carry. Punctures don't always happen in the most convenient of places.
  13. jeep44

jeep44 junk collector

Oddometer:
    I've never used the zip ties, but a sort of variation where I use C-clamps. The idea is to keep the beads together, and in the "well" in the center of the rim. The tube has to be inflated enough to round it out,too.
    If you don't keep the beads in the center well of the rim, the amount of effort needed to lever the tire on increases dramatically, as do the chances of pinching the tube.
  14. DaymienRules

DaymienRules Traffic target

Oddometer:
    Most people seem to have a lot of trouble fishing the tube in. Avoid that completely by spooning one side of the the tire on, then spoon it right back off the other side of the wheel. So the rim is between both tire beads. Then easily put in the tube, rim lock, tighten the valve stem. Then finish mounting the tire. I spend way less time doing this than fighting the tube, especially a heavy duty one.
  15. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Taking the stock tires off your DR will probably be the toughest change you have to do on that bike. After that it isn't hard, particularly if you have one of those really long irons. I just changed from street to dirt tires today on my DR.

I think running UHD tubes for offroad toughness also offers the additional benefit of reducing newb-flats during install. :rofl

Find Neduro's tire changing thread for lots of good info.
  16. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will this work with rim locks?
  17. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talcum powder and slightly inflate the tube then mount the tire beads. inflating the tube a little gets it out of the way and greatly reduces the chance of pinching it.
  18. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know, don't currently have a bike w/ rimlocks, but probably...you would need a bit less air in the tube so the rimlock could be placed in the tire far enough so only the tip was between the compressed beads like the valve stem in the photo above
  19. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Well, so far, so good. Got the rear tire mounted, don't think I pinched the tube. Gonna let it set overnight to see if it holds air. Thanks for all the info!
  20. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Good for you so far!

If you pinch a tube, you definitely don't have to wait overnight to find out!