KTM 640 Enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by habanero, Mar 25, 2006.

1. habanero

habanero Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer:
    I'd like some input on the 640 Enduro, I'm thinking about getting one as an alternative to the 640 Adventure. I love the Adventure, but they are tough to find used, and the ones I have found used were very well used and a bit beat up.

Anyone out there that has the Enduro and has an opinion on it as a dual purpose travel bike....is there a lot of good aftermarket equipment available for the Enduro? Realiablity, necessary modifications..etc.

Thanks..

Scott
  2. Tholund

Tholund Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scott,

The LC4 parts are interchangable...so you can build or strip your bike to meet your needs. So as long as you start with a good condition bike, you can pretty much bolt on the changes you want.

Unless you really are crossing "no mans land" an 18L tank has plenty of range and you don't have to run a fuel pump like with the 28L. I have an SXC with the "640" 18L tank, a Duke rear sprocket, an RXC chain guide, and a KTM comfort seat...so just mix and match your LC4 parts!

Dan
  3. Castleman

Castleman Guest

I have a 99 LC4e (enduro) that I bought new in 99. I currently have just over the 32,000 mile mark with no real issues. Other than normal services, It has used one clutch cable, one pulser coil (ignition) and one water pump seal.

A VERY reliable platform and capable dirt bike. I used mine for a daily commute to work bike and then desert bike on the weekends.

The Husky is the only other current bike that is in the same catagory of quality capable dirt bike out of the box. All other bikes (DR, XL and KLR) all will take $2,000+ in upgrades to bring them kinda close to the KTM's quality.
  4. Airhead

Airhead More human than human

Oddometer:
    I went from an '88 R100GS to a 2000 LC4E, and expected to be a bit disappointed with the KTM's road manners. As it turns out, I love the KTM, and have no problem doing 300 mile+ days on it. There are a ton of aftermarket parts available, the bike is quite capable as a light dual sport tourer...as has been said, with the exception of the TE610, there is really no other dual sport as dirt worthy and as capable on the street.

I personally prefer the E to the Adventure, simply for the reduced weight and for the fact that the enduro has much less plastic to damage. I find that, even with the stock headlight mask, the E is perfectly comfortable on the road, as long as you keep the speed below 70mph.

Off road, you can drop the enduro all day long (I know from experience) without doing much damage to it.

The bike is fun, capable, fast, outstanding off road, and a blast on back roads and in the twisties...I say go for it!
  5. mikeprod92211

mikeprod92211 Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I've a 200 LC4 E witha tad over 17k miles on it.
    Great bike! Lighter than the Adventure, I have a 4.7 L tank, good for 150 + mile range, Komfort seat to make the south end feel better, stock exhaust wit a few holes drilled to provide easier breathing for the motor, not much else.
    I saw a couple of LC4's recently on Ebay, low miles both of them, reasonable price.
    I bought mine used 3 years ago, put 11l miles since then, did 2 valve adjustments, one chain and sprocket set (got Sidewinder stuff, great wear, tough stuff, reasonable price), and a starter gear sprague clutch replaced 3 k miles ago.
    Planning a trip to the KTM randezvous in Nevada this summer, riding there and back.
    Get one, you will not be sorry!
  6. habanero

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of that input, guys....I appreciate it. Sounds like you love your machines, just what I wanted to hear.

scott
  7. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scott,

I picked up a 2002 LC4E last December. I find it surprisingly comfortable (with the comfort seat that is) and its a blast to ride. Just finished my first full tank of gas with the 18L tank - 205 miles without hitting reserve. Airhead was right - under 70 no need for a windshield. The air is clean enough for me to easily hear my MP3. Thought it would take a backseat to the KLR for most riding - but hasn't yet. Looks like a great choice for my kind of riding.

Dean
  8. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    What they said.

I like the versatility of mine. With the 18L tank & my lil homemade windscreen its a capable tourer & functionally not much different to an Adv. (I'm gunna get a comfort seat too, they're cheap)
    For the dirt it's off with the windscreen & mirrors, on with the 12L tank & knobblies (& 14T front sprocket if the going is tight) & it's a capable, if slightly heavy, dirtbike.
    A lighter end can & a rejet to suit is nice to have & gives a bit more pep, but for the average rider there aren't any essential mods that have to be done.

Here's some of our recent travels:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124655

Cheers
    Clint
  9. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2002 640LC4-E - it's been used for a couple of trips, the longest of which was across the Sahara and through west Africa. For this it had a 640 Adventure tank fitted and other mods.

As regards mods/accessories the bike's current setup is:

KTM rally footpegs
    SW Motech sidestand
    KTM rimlocks
    KTM/Akrapovic slip-on silencer
    KTM dual curve ignition box
    Stronger clutch springs
    KTM luggage rack (the small one that comes as standard on the Adventure)
    KTM comfort seat
    KTM 18 litre tank
    Touratech GPS mount
    Touratech handlebar cross-brace (to mount the GPS mount)
    Touratech IMO rally computer
    Touratech roadbook holder
    Touratech rally bracket (to mount the IMO and roadbook holder)
    KTM neoprene fork gators

The bike came as stock with an engine guard, mainstand and handguards.

For luggage I use an ortlieb rucksack strapped to the rear rack and a KTM tank bag.

Apart from the clutch springs, the only mod I've done to the motor is to upgrade the mainshaft bearing with the part from the 03 on models. There's loads on this topic on this forum - check the thread index.

IMHO with handguards, an engine guard, some means of mounting luggage, the 18 litre tank and the comfort seat, the LC4-E makes a decent adventure machine. Next for mine is a set of supermoto wheels - just about 2 bikes in one.
  10. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been covered pretty well, but I love my 01! I prefer it over the Adventure model as it's 20lbs lighter, all over the front tire, is narrower, more nimble, and doesn't damage easily.
  11. habanero

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the information, I appreciate it.

Looks like it's going to a 640 Adventure, I found a very clean 2003 for a good price...off to pick it up on Saturday. It will be a nice 300 mile ride to get it home..

scott
  12. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Word :deal I love my 01' I don't think I'd want an Adv. to many fragile bits.
    my E' hits the ground all the time and never done any damage...other than my pride.:lol3
    now the Adventure, I'd worry about breakin stuff.
  13. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    What's to break?

Handguards: standard.
    Bash plate: standard.
    Large tank that protects the radiators: standard.

???
  14. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    All standard on the Adventure (ok it's only a rear rack standard but hard luggage is a factory option). These are probably all the desirable bits.

The low front fender, too wide & soft front rim, second front disc and second front caliper, are probably all the undesirable bits of the 640 Adv. Unfortunately they all contribute to the price! Here in NZ the Adv is (was) $17K but the LC4E only $11K. I can't see the difference.

A pre-'03 with the main bearing fixed is probably the best of breed for the Adventure.

If it sounds like I can't make up my mind, you're probably right! :lol3 I bought the Adventure because at the time I wanted a complete motorcycle, not a home-built special. A year later, I'd be just as happy with an LC4E with clintnz/Ian640's mods. I said as much to Clint on the ride the other weekend.
  15. 6Speed4

6Speed4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does the 625 smc compare with the 640s? In terms of interchangability of parts and KTM vibrations? I drool every time i see those orange demons, but at 5'8" 30inch inseam they are more than a little intimidating since I am new to off road. How much can you practicaly lower it, since I still have a ~2 inch link from Kouba (for a Duke I didn't catch). Any help would be great, otherwise its a DR or used F.
  16. Mandarax

Mandarax internet insultant

Oddometer:
    Don't let the height scare you. My '99 LC4 has been lowered about 3cm after I bought it second hand and it had the lower seat. But due to the uncomfortable seat I switched to the higher one and it's got the same height as before. The lowest point of the seat is 93cm high when the bike is standing on the wheels and without load.

A little detour: the lower seat did not really help me. It is lower, but it is wider. So if you want to touch the ground with (one foot only, for me it is), you have to get your leg around the wider base. To do this properly, my legs had to be 5cm more apart on the upper end. With the higher and more comfortale seat it is much easier for me to stop and put a foot on the ground.

Take the height as a challenge, but as one to get you a positive outcome: Because you can't touch the ground, you are forced to ride better. Oh: I'm 166cm, that's about 5'6"-ish.

The picture shows me waiting to be photographed with one foot flat on the ground (a very rare occasion) and the other one not even be able to touch the foot peg.

And for the alternatives: just for reasons of weight and the different way of applying power I switched to a DR-Z 400 S last year. The LC4 has a great engine and an absolutely reliable chassis, but is a bit harder to control then the DR-Z. The DR-Z has exactly the same height as the LC4.
    I would not consider the F 650 (if that is what you mean by F) an real alternative for the LC4 if you want to go offroad.
  17. manoir

manoir n00b

Oddometer:
    I traded my LC4 E about 6 months ago for a new 950 Adventure as i could not take the single cylinder bashing anymore because i used it to travel between UK and France a lot.
    Apart from that i really miss it for off road trails as i loved the grunt on the dirt tracks around my home.I would not hesitate to say yes buy one its a fantastic bike. I posted a thread here re 625 sxc which has the same engine but a little lighter and yep less plastic which i may buy but after reading thease posts i feel a little twinge towards a LC4 E again!!.
    Just cannot decide between the two.
    Does the Suzuki 400 have the build quality of the KTM its a lot cheeper.
  18. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Love my 00 as well. Picked it up used in 02 for 3k. Only got 14,000 on the clock and yet crap out on any rides. Very solid bike and always get me home. Not a big fan of all the plastic on the Adv my self just because I use the LC4 more for a dirt bike than a street bike. I know you can do much with the Adv but I worry about busting up stuff too much. You can jump it, bog it, drag race it, hill climb it, I beat the piss out of it and the thing pulls like a tractor. This ones a keeper! Don't think you can go wrong. It was advertised in the cycle trader as "Looking for a KLR check this out, bigges and baddest DS around". Not that got my attention. Good luck.
  19. habanero

Oddometer:
    Picked up the 640 Adv this weekend..looks sweet in the bike barn next to the Multistrada. A nice one two punch combination...

[​IMG]
  20. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    SWEET!!!