After the crash- Getting back on

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by dm635, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    The wife says no more after what she went through during recovery. But I know my '78 R80/7 must roll again with me on it. How many guys don't climb back on? The injuries I had were serious & I was air lifted. And I figure a lot may consider theirselves lucky to be back on their feet & let riding go. But I feel riding is the right thing to do in my case.. Don't want to put wife & family through all this again, but it's just the chance we take everytime we take off. Just walking down the stairs every morning & driving my cage can be dangerous.

After much searching I think I've found all the parts I need to put this bike back together. Will know soon. Don't think the frame was effected, rolls like it did before, does start & ride. I have been on a few rides since the accident. The gentleman I bought my bike from still has 2 Beemers & we've been on some rides. He has a '75 R90/6 & an '85 K100. If you're scared to ride you'd better not climb back on. That didn't happen & hitting the wind felt great. Just asking, am I right for getting back on & repairing my bike for spring, or wrong after a serious accident for even considering it?

Also, would like to meet any Beemer riders in the Louisville area. Are there any meets even with winter upon us? Let me know please. Interested in meeting folks with the same interests. Been driving older Bimmer cars since the mid 90's. Have met quite a few of these drivers, but none own a Beemer.

.Thanks Dave
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone else can answer that question for you. If it's what you want, if it's something you're not willing to let go of, then hopefully your wife and family can understand that. They probably won't support that idea immediately after what they've been through, but hopefully with time they'll realize that if it's something that makes you happy and something you really want to do despite the risks which you now FULLY understand better than most, then they should just let you do what you need to do to be happy.
  3. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know you or how you ride but have to ask was the crash your fault or a lightening strike type of thing? If it was a lack of skill then I would think twice or maybe get some lessons but if it was just a freak thing then you have to get back on and get some miles under you or you will be left guessing forever .:freaky
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you're saying that anyone who has someone that loves them should not be allowed to ride a motorcycle?
  5. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. I only say I don't want to put the family is because we never know when it's our time. I've riden since I was 15 when I got my 1st bike. Started out on a '73 Yamaha 250 enduro street & trail. Had a few bikes in between. Rode in Houston traffic on a '74 Yamaha TX750A for about 9 yrs. Every time I got on the road there I was a target. Had one incident that was too close where a jacked up pick up nearly ran me over. Was so close went home, parked it, sold it. Had 2 small children & wanted to be there for them. Took a break.

Kids are grown now. Bought the R80 this season & have put a couple thousand miles on it. No problems. Until the accident. I went off the edge of the road, corrected & was launched off the bike coming back on the road. This coming from the witness statement. She was coming at me at the exact time I left the road. She said she saw all that in her mirror. I don't know why, but the last few seconds before this happened are erased from my mind. Remained out for 2 days before I opened my eyes. This was on a short ride & I was only 2 miles from home.

Not knowing what happened raises the question if this women was in my lane & ran me off. This is a 2 lane country road with little traffic. I don't have black outs, drink, or take dope. This is driving me crazy wanting to know. I consider myself a very safe rider always watching around me. I know it is me that has to make the decision to ride again..My decision to ride again brings up everything my wife had to endure during all this. She was there with me when I came to. I want to ride again with her blessings, but that wont happen. My decision to ride affects more than myself. I am not scared to ride, there is no way you can ride wondering what if. Yes, you must be alert of all around you and ride safe. I don't ride carelessly and take chances Haven't even red lined this old air head yet. My plan was to ride this low mile bike for many years. The accident has just screwed it all up.

I'm rambling now so I'll sign off for now. But the R80/7 will ride again. Dave
  6. patanga

patanga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, the hard part would be wanting to know if the other driver was in your lane and ultimately at fault. Perhaps the only way to answer that question in retrospect would have been to have had an on board camera. If you've got absolutely no recall then maybe let the question go as there is no point in beating yourself up for something that you can't answer any way. As for the question of to ride or not: Whatever you choose will be the right outcome. Good luck.

"BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
    :wink:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/
  7. BLU HWY

BLU HWY Maverick Lemming

Oddometer:
    Might want to post this in the Face Plant sub forum or check some of the posts there OR this link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819513

Might consider: A riding clinic or skills development discipline geared toward re-entry to riding, MSF or...?

I recently read that a significant fatality profile is the mature returning rider who had skills and "took a break" who is
    then involved in a single bike accident.
  8. Madman1

Madman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I experienced something similar. After asking some doctors, one came up with what was correct in my case.
    I got knocked out. When that happens, the last 5-7 seconds has not made it to the harddisc yet.
    My crash was spring 2005. Could not work for a year. I repaired my 95 R100RT, started riding again in 2010.
    I wrecked it again in 2011, but that was a freak thing, didn´t hurt nor scare me. Spent last winter repairing it. In both cases mostly stripping of the fairing and tail, buying used parts from ebay.de. I´ve decided that was the last time I repaired it.
    But I must admit driving the bike is differant now, it drains me more mentally.
    Drive safe.
    Hans
  9. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't bore you with the details, but I hit a jersey barrier in 1987 when the front brakes seized on my cbl350 at 70+mph. It wasn't good. I woke up 48 hours later with multiple broken bones, punctured lung and the list goes on. It took me eleven years to get back on a bike. Today I work as a part time EMT, and my best advice is take your time, and when the time is right you'll know it. IMHO this is an ongoing discussion between you and your wife. If it were me I'd repair the bike myself, taking my time, and gently dicuss what comes next with my wife. As important as riding is to you, you are more so to her. I'm sure she doesn't want you to give up something you love, but I am equally sure she wants you there to love.

Good luck, glad you are ok
  10. Byron1

Byron1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a tough call as has been said before and only one that you can answer.

I had several crashes racing a few years back. Nothing too serious thankfully but my mum pleaded me to stop riding. I didnt listen and carried on riding. It took a while to get over the guilt but when I explained to her that bikes are part of what makes me "me" and without them I would be a little bit less "me" she finally resigned to the fact that I wouldn't stop and now embraces what I do.

Don't have kids yet though, so cannot speak with any experience on how that would effect them. If you really want to keep riding but dont want to worry your family or dont want to feel guilty for riding, why not compromise, stop road riding and take up something like trials? You can have a lot of fun on a small bike like a TY 175 or 250, you don't need to go fast and it is probably the safest and most affordable bike sport around...

Good luck in whatever you decide!
  11. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    Can you think of anything else you could have done to avoid the crash? If you can't, expect sooner or later to go down again. If you can, then add to your new awarness and prevent the next one. IE if you can't ride SAFER than before, time to think a bit more about enhanced awarness of the dangers and enhanced attitude adjustment.
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    What we do is dangerous. It is who we are but we are also the people connected to us and it seems you may have to make a choice. You think you can get your way and continue riding but this may be too much for your wife and she may have to leave. Women don't think like we do.

You get to make the first choice. You chose to ride or not to ride. She will make the next choice. She will chose to stay or not to stay. You will have to live with that.

Choose wisely.
  13. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. I did think of posting this in face plant, but put it here for my love of the air head & those that may respond. As a stall tactict I told the wife the bike wouldn't bring much in wrecked condition. Must be in complete ridable condition. I knew in the hospital that I had to get back on. I don't drive my cars off road, and this stretch of road I've been down hundreds/ thousands of times. I'm out in the country & the 1st traffic light is 8 miles away. I can go any direction to try & get lost. Can't think of anything I'd do different, this happened where I live, drive & ride. Other than not being in that exact spot. I'll put up more later.
  14. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    My dad said something pretty significant when I was 18 after I'd wrecked my car. I told him the reasons why the wreck happened, and he said "Ultimately, you are the cause of the wrecked car. If you hadn't started it up and driven it out of the driveway, it would still be sitting there in good shape."

In this case, had the driver been in your lane - shame on you being unable to handle the situation - either stopping in time or maneuvering out of the way!

I'm not trying to make you wrong - it's the exact way I deal with myself - I am the source of what happens to me, that's what it comes down to!

After hitting an elk in 2005, then going over a 20ft embankment, breaking six ribs on the left side - as soon as I was able I was back riding. The next summer I rode across the country to the National Rally in Burlington VT. If you don't think that was spooky riding through obvious deer country, think again!

Riding is a major part of my makeup, and it's the risk I take every time I get into the saddle. I'd much rather have a shorter, more intense life than a long one being numb and bored, though safe. That's the problem with being really alive - there are dangers involved. We have two factors here - being alive as a being, and being alive as a body. To me, being alive as a spirit comes first, otherwise life isn't worth living.

Another factor to consider besides possible lack of necessary skills - accidents can be caused by stress of one form or another. Perhaps you can locate the stress in your life at that time and resolve the issue. Hidden influences working against you can be tricky to locate.

Good luck with your problem convincing Mrs. dm635 that she wouldn't want you any other way than how you are. I think you'll figure out a way to bring her around.
  15. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Riding a motorcycle is an elevated risk activity.

When I came back to riding after a big, life threatening crash. I did something differently. I did, and still do ride much differently then before that crash and fundamentally the sport changed for me, as it changed again as I lost four friends to bike wrecks since then, all of them experienced and very good riders.

I met my wife after my accident, so I can't say if I'd stop riding, but we talk about it, well we used to, now we have a kid
    and neither of us get to ride nearly as much as we would like to.

But we work on things as a team. Sure it's easy to say you'll get back on the bike, damn her she's just being controlling
    but what's more important to you?

my suggestion, take some time, get back into it slowly take a class or two, even take them with her. Gear up and work at being a much safer rider. You will never eliminate risk from what you do, but there are things you can do to mitigate and control the exposure.
  16. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 years ago I was in a bad accident: a young squid crossed a double yellow and smashed into my Norton and me; compound femur and broken humerus. 36 hours of different surgeries, a pulmonary embolism, some huge pieces of metal and a cross tendon, i still limp and cannot extend my right arm (dead radial nerve). My wife forced me to rebuilt the Norton, I sold a lot of my bikes (heavy ones and ones with bad front brake), bought a Spyder and a Ural sidecar... I can ride my XT250, XS650 all day long as for the 3 wheelers bug I am still afraid of the Norton! I am no one to give you advice but I think you should buy a small used 250 and get back on riding slowly . I sincerly hope your wife will understand and be on your side, I will not have been able to do without her!
  17. redwing51

redwing51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I, too, crashed and lost memory of the 5-10 seconds before the crash. I have a ghostly vision of someone coming into my lane, but am not sure. I can't imagine what would have made me leave the road. I received a severe dislocation and multiple fractures in my right ankle. Plates and screws and a couple of surgeries. Bike was totalled.During my early recovery, I just couldn't imagine ever getting on a bike again. The thought of riding again was just so uncomfortable. But as the weeks of recovery continued I slowly acclimated to the idea. I had so much time on my hands as I recovered that I would spend time in front of the computer, and out of habit would look at motorcycle stories and sites like ADV. Then I started looking at ebay and craigslist bike ads. Ten weeks after the accident I found a R1150GS that no one seemed to be bidding on. It was also a "no reserve" auction that was ending in 30 minutes. In a brash move I placed a low ball bid to tempt fate. I was sure someone would snipe bid it at the last minute. But no one did. I had just committed to buying a bike that I knew nothing about and had not asked any questions about. I was a little stunned. It was spontaneous move that must have come from deep inside. What could I do but grab my crutches and hobble out to my wife's studio in an adjacent building and confess to my actions. I hadn't said anything to her about getting a new bike at all. After I told her, she took a good look at me and said,"I'm glad, because I know that you love riding..." I fell in love all over again.
    Since then, that bike has been to northern Quebec and the Gaspe, to western Ontario, down the Blue Ridge Parkway numerous times, from the east coast to Big Bend. and to New Mexico,Utah, Colorado and back again.
    Getting back on was tentative at first, and I have slowed down considerably (usually) and ride more conservatively, but there is some inherent drive to ride. It is a pleasure that I haven't found anywhere else.
    All in all, to ride again after an accident is a personal decision, but to me, it feels like I made the right one.
  18. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    All great replies. Even though I took a break when the kids were still young, had a couple more bikes in between. Last one was a CB360 I putted around on after moving out to the country. Rode it for a couple years & just tired of it. In comes the beemmer. I've known the previous owner about 7 yrs. Always on one of his 3 beemers & I would always check them out. Wishing I had one. Since I've been driving old bimmers it was only natural in my mind. Over last winter he said he'd probably downsize. Around June I asked again. Took a few conversations & the R80 was mine. Never had riden a boxer before & spent a couple weeks in parking lots putting it through it through its tests. Braking, handling & low speed manuver. Didn't have any issues on the road & felt very comfortable on my new ride. Was practically on it every day weather permitting.

Hate to keep bringing up the wife, but that will/may be my hurdle. When I told her I was getting the bike her 1st response was don't expect me to get on it. In Houston we rode a lot, but that's a different life. As already posted maybe a refresher course is in order. Do I feel I need it, no. But a little learning never hurt anyone. I've got at least 17 yrs in the saddle & fortunately the only time I went down on the pavement was on my 1st bike. Going uphill to the left on kobbies in heavy rain when it happened. Fairly low speed, but had a black left knee for months. As I age (54 now) I feel more careful & alert of my surroundings than ever before on 2 wheels. I've slowed down a lot, don't take chances, & like to leave myself with plenty of room all around planning a way out if needed.

Whether I get back on or not I still have to put the bike back together. It tumbled a couple times & did some damage. Handle bars, forks, mufflers & a whole list of smaller parts to put it to its former glory. Jug bars really helped here & will need straightened. Forks were straightened on my press just to take the front wheel out of its bind.Not for riding, even though it's been up & down my road to check frame balance & that it goes through the gears. Feels like it did before. At this point I'm definitely getting back on. It may end up sitting in the garage a year or 2 until the wife comes around, but no plans to sell.
  19. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan is coming together. I like that.

It's a funny thing about the memory loss - I too don't recall my wreck. As a matter of fact, when the cop asked me what happened and I told him I hit a deer, I wasn't very positive about that. It was like I remember three pictures before waking up on the rocks below - seeing the elk suddenly directly in front of me like a David Copperfield trick, seeing the brown fur when my helmet hit his rump, and trying to stop the tank slapper that was taking me towards the shoulder. But I didn't remember any of that when talking to the cop afterwards. It wasn't till I saw the bike several days later and the patch of brown hair on the left side fairing that I knew it was for real! :rofl

But I sure don't remember leaving the pavement and riding the bike over a 20ft embankment, and evidently flying from the bike and landing on a boulder where the top and front of the helmet got scraped up. It's kind of weird having no memory of something so significant.
  20. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    i hit a deer as well. i remember the entire thing. i'd much prefer to have those few moments not in my memory.

i got back on as soon as i was out of the medical boot for a leg break. i continued to commute to work daily but rides out of town came very slowly and i rode slowly as well. take your time and work into things slowly.