SIXO - Speedo, Tacho, ...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Doc.Snyder, Apr 28, 2009.

1. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    I don't know if there's a great way to do this on the LC8 due to the coil setup, but on my old Suzuki I ended up having to directly connect the tach wire to the signal wire from the points, and I also had to install a 1 megaohm resistor in the line to filter noise and get an accurate reading. With that done, it works beautifully.

2. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Looks like that thread is only visible to members fwiw.
  3. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    There's an open pin on the ECU specifically to drive the tacho. From memory it gives a 5V square-edged pulse, once per engine revolution. That should easily be accepted by the Vapour. Not sure why you couldn't just tap into the primary drive for the coil though. Depends on the front-end of the TrailTech... of which I know nothing.

Cheers... Paul
  4. tinwelp

Oddometer:
    Sorry, wasn't aware of that. You could join... or if that poses a problem I could try a copy 'n' paste. Not sure if I'll get into trouble for that though, so please spend a few minutes trying to sign-up first.
    Cheers... Paul
  5. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Tinwelp,

Thanks! i am going to check ebay to see if I can find one. I have tried to find just the tach from an ADV but have not been able to yet. I want an analog tach. I don't NEED it but think it would be helpful for tuning the carbs properly now that I have rejetted and have no idea what my idle is even set at. I have to do everything by ear and it probably isn't spot on.
  6. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

I use this lead for my Trail Tech Voyager. Couldn't get any of the other options to work consistently, and the TT techs had no other advise so I went it on my own... works spot-on.

7. tinwelp

Oddometer:
    East, broaden your search to Europe and you'll probably find what you want. For example, here's an ADV tacho, but it isn't exactly cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...00420?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item2a2e4379a4

If you want the 990 cluster, try this, which seems much more reasonable with 15k km: http://www.ebay.de/itm/KTM-990SM-20...77980?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item20dad57dfc

Cheers... Paul
  8. EastSideSM

Oddometer:
    Wow,

thanks so much for the links. That was the first time I have seen just the tach off an ADV, I think you are right, for the money the cluster makes more sense. i will keep my eyes out for one now and will broaden my search. Much appreciated!!
  9. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a sideways suggestion, Aliexpress sells a lot of instrument clusters.. Some generic for the pocket bikes and such.. One of those might do it..

I've bought a couple hard to find items of Ali express, its all from china but sometimes desperate measures are required.

Dave
  10. EastSideSM

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will check that as well. The 990 Cluster is a bit pricey. The price they want just for the analog tach off the ADV is a little offensive also. So I may be tachless for even longer.