Advice on roads, lodging in Arkansas/Missouri

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by rynomite, Feb 12, 2014.

1. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doing a ride in late March from Southern Indiana to Little Rock. Going to head North and West in Arkansas heading towards Southern Missouri then back East to Indiana. I've been poking around and there is tons of great information. I'm looking for a suggestion of routes from Little Rock that will be a combination of on/off road heading Northwest from Little Rock. We could also like to camp somewhere in that area as well. We will have a full day to mess around in NW Arkansas and a full day to mess around in Southern/Eastern Missouri. We are basically hoping to put a route together that is a combination of roads that will allow us to meander in the right direction and towards a spot to camp. We will both be on 800GS. Thanks in advance. I am severely impressed with the amount of info in the regional forum. I am having a hard time digesting it all.

Cheers!
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a hotel and the area is AWESOME street riding, but check out The Hub in Dogpatch on HWY 7 south of Jasper. If you come across the ferry on the lake on the Arkansas/Missouri border its just a hour or two ride from there. The owner is a biker, too. The Hub has been the location of the Triumph Mountain RAT Raid for a couple years.
  3. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One 800's you can hit some good spots. But with only one day, I would think you would have to slab it about a hour and a half from LR to the Ozark National Forest.

If I was going to show someone around, I would hit the gravel just north of Dover or Hector, which are about 75 miles NW of LR. Then I would work my way north thru Treat, Ft Douglas, Limestone, Walnut Fork, then cross 16 north to Murry and out at Boxley Valley and camp on the Buffalo River. And then the next morning head to Mo.

I also have some tracks from Forsythe Mo headed east over Glad Top Trail then thru the Mark Twain NF and to Eminince MO. It covers some really good riding.

You won't want to go back to In.

Anyways, sounds like you could easily make 2 good days of really good riding. You can PM me as it gets closer if you want more specific info.

Good luck and have fun.
  4. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds fantastic. I really appreciate it. I'm ready to buy land out there! I'm moving.

I've been searching the regional forum and found some great info. It just started to get overwhelming. The AR SLAP Trax thread looks like a grand source.

I do have a Butler Map which shows that there are apparently no bad roads. We are heading that way March 28-31. I'm curious if spring rains will be an issue with mud, etc. that time of year.

If you find yourself in Southern Indiana feel free to hit me up for some advice. There be some fine stuff right around my house. Free coffee included.
  5. FJ Fun

FJ Fun Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer:
    Clinton, Ar......The edge of Twisty Heaven
    You are correct, there are no bad roads in Northern Arkansas. Just don't let the secret out.:deal

Joe
  6. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could actually hit some pretty good roads not too far out of LR, but then you would have a hard time making it to NW AR to camp.

And yes, rainy or wet weather could be an issue. Besides the possibility of chance of rain being higher in the spring, a lot of the creeks are up and too high to cross. A good ride is still doable if so, you just got to know where you're going.

Are you planning on camping from your bike?? If so, you'll be riding loaded pretty heavy, right?? Makes a difference, but you can still get a good ride in
  8. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the great info. We will be laden down with camping gear and such. I'm thinking it will be a game time decision as to how much off-tarmac we can do. We do pack light. No change of scibbies or socks for me.

We are chomping at the bit. With all the snow we have got and subzero temps, it has put a crunch on riding. I believe I've gone over two weeks since the last ride. That may be the longest stretch I've gone. Even in the Peace Corps I got to ride a Torque Induction 250 Suzuki at least once a week.
  9. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plus one on the Hub. Its easy to miss the sign, as its not right on the highway, but on top of the hill. You can do a different ride everyday from the Hub for several days. One road not to miss is Arkansas Rt 123.
  10. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for everyone's advice and help. I think I've got a good base of possibilities for the trip. If you see some goofy looking dudes on a couple 800GS flag us down. We will surely have winter long beards with the days breakfast possibly still attached.

Should anyone need advice or such on Southern Indiana riding, specifically Bloomington, Nashville area or even down into Tell City give me a shout. If you are in the area and need help or a beer don't hesitate to get in touch. :freaky
  11. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    maybe a "homes of the stars" tour of Chick Mcgee and Kristy Lee would be nice! :D (Tom's a dick...:rofl )
  12. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on. I remember my father listening to the show when he would take me to morning baseball practice in high school. It was a good father/son "lets listen to some dirty jokes and not let mom know."

I'm down in the land of Mellencamp. I've seen him out on a custom rat bobber a few times. It is definitely a unique ride.
  13. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its all good riding near Jasper Ar. with plenty of on and off road riding. FYI The Hub motorcycle resort is about seven miles north of Jasper on Hw 7. There are several places to stay in Jasper too. I live 30 north of Jasper. Let me know when you will be here and I will take you on some good rides. Always glad to help my fellow man have a good ride.
    Check out the thread called "highway 7 in Arkansas" in this forum for lots of good suggestions.

Sent from The Edge
  14. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride offer. It is really appreciated. Same applies if you find yourself in my hood. Gravel and twisties out my back door.

The end of March can't come soon enough. Especially given the 4+ inches of snow we got yesterday.
  15. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do u have a reason to go as far south as Little Rock? If you dont I wouldn't go any further south than russelville or Clarksville because the best riding is north of there. If you stay west of 65 north of Clinton you can ride for days on the best there is.

Sent from The Edge
  16. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually alot of good stuff east of Clinton also :clap
  17. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    True dat.

Sent from The Edge
  18. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No real reason to go to Little Rock. We just picked it as a destination point to shoot for and an easy place to find a post ride bourbon. Sounds like good advice for sure. I'll certainly do some looking into that option.

Cheers
  19. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hw 160 across southern Missouri from Doniphan to Branson is a Suh-weet twisty road to ride. Take it to Hw 125 south and the ferry ride across the lake to Hw 7 south to Harrison. You will be glad you did.

Sent from The Edge on a WR250r
  20. rynomite

rynomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds fantastic. I believe I may have been on a tiny section of 160 last year. I remember not being disappointed.

Cheers