KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Motion Pro tool also, except it cost half that much and is in a red box, got it from RockyMountainatv.

My experience is that a link swaged with the Motion Pro tool is harder to remove than the KTM version; meaning the link is swaged in place at least as good, or better than, OEM. It's relatively easy to use, just don't go so far that the link binds up.
  2. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That grey gasket maker will do the job, and I have used it myself but this stuff is better.

[​IMG]

You should be able to find it at any auto parts store, the permatex version looks just like it and has a similar part number.

The advantage of the anaerobic sealant is it doesnt plug up your oil passages.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    When you grind off the flared ends of the old cc masterlink, grind into the plate a bit, that will remove most of the interference and allow it to be removed w/o a tool. All you'll need is a small punch to drive the plate off the pins. It's actually pretty easy. When it comes to restaking the new link comon sense prevails, don't crank it down super tight, it's not needed. I've seen guys put cutup strips of .003 feeler guage between the plate and the links it's pressing down on to provide clearance when staking, I've always just crimped them (slowly) removing the tool a couple times to check the progress and to ensure it wasn't binding the chain.
  4. espressodrinker

espressodrinker Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer:
    How do you stop the bits of grinding dust from going into the engine?
  5. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I use a dremel with a cut-off disc. It already minimizes the amount of dust but I stuff a big rag around the cam gear to catch whatever does come off.

Sean :bmwrider
  6. selaznog

selaznog Roadless Warrior

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running the Acerbis 6.6 tank on a 2004 525 exc? I'm selling mine, and a potential buyer is trying to see if it will work on his 2004. The Just Gas Tanks site says it will work on a 2005 SX. I had always thought they fit all the rfs bikes. Anyway, thoughts from a 2004 owner would be appreciated.
  7. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    The tanks are interchangeable on RFS models 2000 to 2007.

8. espressodrinker

espressodrinker Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It fits fine on my '06 525 EXC.
  9. SHOREBILL

SHOREBILL Some Guy

Oddometer:
    I do not know if this applies to an 04, but the xc and sx came with a different seat (more pronouced angle at the nose) which will not mate up with the 6.6 acebris. It will barely mate to 3.5? gal acebris. Any stock xcw exc seat will work.

Live well.
    Bill
  10. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done any head upgrades to their 525? I just did, and replace the top end. Strong, but popping and snorting. Jetting issues, possibly?
  11. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    What upgrades did you do to the head?

12. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    1mm over sized intake valves, relieved and polish chamber to unshroud valves.
  13. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you do the head work yourself, and if so, did you make the mistake of polishing the intake tract? That can cause what you describe.
  14. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woohoo, just took my 520 EXC out for a test ride after being down all winter. It now has a 540 12.5:1 kit and 8/33 cam. It's a noticeable improvement over stock; the power is still smooth with no hit, but it feels like the whole power band jumped up a gear. Before it would pull power wheelies in 4th easily, now it does the same in 5th. :clap
  15. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    No
  16. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Be kind to that motor, that was my favorite combo but I abused it and paid the price.
    That 8/33 cam is all mid and top. On loose dirt/gravel you'll blow right to the limiter if you hold it, even in 6th.
    Carry a can of octane booster. They didn't have super at that little gas station in the middle of nowhere or you just don't trust the gas? Dump it in the tank. If you run that 12.3:1 motor (12.5:1 but you unshrouded the valves) WOT on bad gas, this happens.

[​IMG]

Combustion chamber ran too hot, valve seat came out, piston hit the valve...at 8000RPM...repeatedly.

As for the popping, lean out the fuel mixture. I think I went down one or two on the main. I know it sounds counterintuitive but the bigger piston creates a bigger vaccum signal so the stock jetting is too fat.

Enjoy it.:freaky

17. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    2 rfs and a dr650 do moab for the first time.
    bump this thread up!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2455671351_k8nFdw8?width=640&height=360&albumId=27723866&albumKey=BcFcj4"></iframe>
  18. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Nice video, shame about the hair :D
  19. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    it was my mo-mo-mohawk.

and the term you're searching for is "majestic"
  20. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer: