Weird Rattling noise

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by 1190Livo, Mar 24, 2014.

1. 1190Livo

1190Livo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.

Just about finished running in my 1190 Adventure 2013, when I detected a low down rattle when the engine was ticking over, I couldn't hear it whilst riding, but when you stopped it was obvious something was wrong.
    Anyway this weekend the bike was due it's 600 mile first service and I asked the technician to take a look at it.
    The result was that when the engine was built somebody at KTM forgot to install one of the locating washers at one end of the balancer shaft and that was causing the gear on the end of the shaft to vibrate.
    The Dealer was suprised too say the least and rectified the problem by stripping down the shaft and fitting a new washer, luckly no damage was done and they'd caught it in time.
    They are now emailing KTM to check on the build serial number to find out if any more engines could be affected.So keep your ears open for any weird rattles.
    Cheers
    Livo.
  2. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    did you ever hear back from KTm or the dealer? Just picked up my '14 1190r here in the USA and it was ticking what I thought was loudly when I drove it off the dealers lot.

I asked the dealer but he didn't seem to know. I've got about 130 miles on it and its still ticking pretty good at idle. Sounds just like the valves to me. I have an LC8 950SE and it does not make any abnormal engine noise. I might have to change out the exhaust just so I can't hear the motor ticking (at least that will be the excuse I use for momma when I pick up an Akra). Very disappointed if the loud ticking is normal.

Anybody else with a 1190 and a noisy engine?

Cheers!
  3. Tony DiBiase

Tony DiBiase n00b

Oddometer:
    Very annoying rattle on my new 2014 1190R...seems to go away when clutch pulled in. Occurs at 3-5k RPM...any higher and I think it's just masked by engine noise.

Noted when i took bike in for 1000 mile chi...service mgr claimed it was noisy ABS modulator--don't think so!

Not the drive chain, else it would still be there when I pull clutch in.

Any thoughts??
  4. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to another dealer I'd say...if you pull the clutch and it goes away like say a dry clutch Duke then, it's the clutch basket....but can't be on the 1190.:huh
  5. HokyLuk

HokyLuk Late for dinner

Oddometer:
    Got the same problem :eek1
  6. Daveman

Daveman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has someone got updates regarding this problem? Mine seem to be developing it also...
  7. Suddenstop

Suddenstop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drive chain noise can go away with clutch pulled in - thats what mine did. Lube the chain, lube the chain guide, lube it some more after that. It really might be that easy.
  8. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Chain slapping the buffer on top of the swingarm will make noise.

Clutch basket has to be a little loose for it to operate, makes noise at idle with the clutch out.

I just got some custom ear plugs. They work great. Try it.
  9. KTMGOAT

KTMGOAT 1190S

Oddometer:
    I just noticed a rattle before it warms up, just on the right side of the engine. Im going to mention it to the dealer when i do the 1000km service
  10. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, earplugs/plug-in style headphones with some AC/DC or so playing on them really seems to cure the problem. At least it works on my bike quite well.
  11. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Not for 17k and under warranty. :wink: