X-Challenge - Accessories/Farkles

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Redbull Addict, Nov 19, 2007.

1. MTDewX8

MTDewX8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Don't shoot me!!!

Don't shoot me!!! Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer:
    Isn't the F650GS and F800GS twin engines?
    And the X-Challenge and the NEW (but old) G650 singles?
  3. RockemRdr

RockemRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's my understanding. FWIW, I like the looks of the new F650GS and the F800GS but I think that I have finally found Nirvana. I have a Honda CRF150 for pure dirt bike duties, an X for a near even mix of off-road riding and commuting (60/40) and a R12GS for long range comfort and travel -- with some off-road riding (80/20). That said, if I could only have one bike it would probably be the X....I should stop straying so far from home any way. :rofl

Happy New Years all!

4. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is the frugal mans adventure tank. The Rotopax 2 gallon gas tank will give me roughly 250 mile range on my X-Challenge. We fabricated a couple mounting strips and bolted the bracket onto the small tourotech tail rack.

[​IMG]

The tank is 3" X 13" X 17" and will serve well 'I think' as a platform for my soft bags. I don't plan on strapping the luggage onto the tank. I think I'll still use the tail rack as the tie down points and just use the tank as the stabilizer.

[​IMG]

When needed, all I have to do is give that knob a 1/4 turn and the gas can is released. Lickity split.

[​IMG]

Even with the gas can wide side out, it's not much wider than the ass end of the bike. I may turn it later with it mounted @ 13" wide. It really depends on my seating position as I ride.

[​IMG]

This is the mount. It's made of sturdy plastic. We'll see how it holds up but for roughly $80.00 for the mount and the tank. I feel it's worth a try. Rotopax has a variety of containers from simple storage, first aid, water, oil etc. Their main clientele are the ATV crowd. I think it's a pretty cool product though so we ended up carrying the whole line at the shop. I will most likely be slapping one on my 1150GS before the riding season starts back up. :deal

Update: I've since done 2 things. I've turned the tank length ways. I feel it works better that way. Plus, I've added a layer of rubber over the mount base in order to keep the screws from rubbing holes into the tank.

Here's their link> http://www.rotopax.com/gasoline-single-rotopax-fuel-pack-atv-fuel-gas-container-gas-can-fuel-c-1-p-1-pr-68.html
    joho5978 and Armyguy like this.
  5. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to be giving enough $$ to TT anyways, so I figured I'd skip buying theirs and try to beef up the stock plastic rad guard with some mesh I had lying around.

[​IMG]

I thought about going over the front, but it seemed hard to make it look good and hard to secure. Taking the plastic guard off, there is a nice flat rectangular area on the back to work with.

[​IMG]

Finished product:

[​IMG]

I was originally thinking that the mesh would be right on top of the rad, thus not protecting it very well. I cut the mesh long, so it goes over the tank caps at either end, and then zip tied it to the plastic guard. The mesh now rides a solid 1/4" off the surface of the rad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, the above 2 mods will be added to the Index thread :thumb
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    the new F650GS is an 800cc TWIN engine, it's just a name, not a displacement thing.

the "new" G650GS is the same old proven F650GS (single) engine, with a few minor tweaks.
    Stromius likes this.
  8. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I haven't added fuel yet. I'll let you know how it does, when I do...
  10. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Knowing how hot the pipe is, do you think you have enough clearance to keep it safe or do you have something in mind?
  11. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    I think it's far enough away from the exhaust that the heat from the pipe won't be an issue. I will keep an eye on it, but I'm not too concerned.

Ok, I filled the tank and it holds gas just fine. These tanks are pretty sturdy. They show trucks running over them at the website. I don't think they would market these things as travel cans if they leaked. I did however point the spout to the right side of the bike... No point in taking the risk of having the spout over the exhaust pipe.
  12. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    I just want to know why the bike is still SHOWROOM CLEAN.

You know those things are supposed to be ridden off-road, don't cha?

:lol3 :lol3
  13. Buzzez

Buzzez Wind Powered

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom, :wave :uhoh I even windex'd the screen yesterday. :ymca Ohhh, it'll get dirty... eventually. :wink:
  14. Martigo

Martigo Kreisverkehrfahrer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

normally I do not inform by postings about buying myself a nice new X-CHALLENGE-MOTO.:D

But in this case I have to do, because my decision was partly also taken
    by reading this very nice and informative thread.

I´d like to say, thank you to all X-CHALLENGE-RIDERS which have given ideas, comments, informations, pictures and ride-reports.

By the way, thanks to Baldy too, hopefully the ADV-SITE will stay longer, I donated some "BUCKS".

A pic will follow soon as I get it out of the showroom.
  15. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new bike! Welcome to the XC world!!! Best doit all bike ever!!!:D
  16. gpmucci

gpmucci gpmucci

Oddometer:
    Ciao.
    I'm building up a fairing and a support for road book for xc.

Here some photo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. gpmucci

gpmucci gpmucci

Oddometer:
    Ciao.
    I'm building up a fairing and a support for road book for xc.

Here some photo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks great - nice color...what type of paint did you use?
  19. Don't shoot me!!!

Don't shoot me!!! Snowflakes are cold...

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if there's some sort of "Power Comander" for the X....?

I'm allso searching for a Gear Indicator, if anyone know's anything i'd be a very happy puppy :nod
  20. HP2

HP2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Don't shoot me,

You can use one from F650-2004.
    The only diff. is the cabels from the Lambda Sensor.
    F 650 - 3 Cabels
    Xch-4 Cabels

[​IMG]