Standard 1190 can be made into a "R" off road version

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by harryzgnilek, Aug 4, 2013.

1. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all

What is everyone's take on the standard 1190 Adventure with optional 21 front 18 back wheels.. would that be in par with the 1190 R version?
    yes, i know there is 30mm clearance/ suspension travel but the standard 1190 can be a very capable off road machine?

thanks
  2. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    First thing comes to my mind is the front tire rubbing (or worse) when suspension is fully compressed. Bad things could happen
    If you're planning on an standard 1190 plus 21/18 wheels, why don't you directly go for the R? It seems she even has a far better suspension than the standard model.
  3. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    because most of my riding will be pavement 80/20 split.. SO i would imagine the Standard would be better for me
  4. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    I also like the electronic suspension on the standard
    camodog likes this.
  5. bajamcguide

bajamcguide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The R model also has a leading axle on the forks to accommodate the 21 inch front wheel. The 21 inch my " fit " on the front of the standard 1190. but you will loose chassis balance by fitting the 21 with out a forward leading axle. That being said I hope the R version comes to the U.S. If not, I will go with the Standard version and fit more dirt oriented tires.
  6. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    Follow up question. If I just get other offroad tires. . Size 19 front and 17 read.. would the standard 1190 be a very capable off road bike ?
  7. bajamcguide

bajamcguide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not as good as the "R" because the 21 inch front and more ground clearance, but still very capable for most of us
    "normal" riders.
  8. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    It would seem to me that from a purely suspension point or perhaps chasis geometry point of view the alternative approach, namely taking an "R" model and adding a set of 19/17s from a regular model would be the safer bet. By that I mean that the likelihood of anything banging, dragging or rubbing as mentioned in earlier posts would be reduced/eliminated due to the fact the peripheral parts are sized for larger wheels so bolting smaller ones on is far less likely to create problems than bolting larger wheels on a bike designed for smaller ones. I recognize a lot of people like the regular version because of the lower and more comfortable seat, bigger stock screen, and electronically adjustable suspension.

I think a better choice is doing what 99% of all GS owners do, and that is lever a set of TKC80, Mitas E10 or whatever your favorite set of knobblies is on the bike, and accept that even if 19/17 isn't ideal for offroad, for 90%+ of the riders out there, this combo won't be limiting factor on how far the bike will take them.
    Adv_rider_Quebec likes this.
  9. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    That makes so much sense, thank you.
    So addibg tkc80 will be able to manage light /medium off road tasks ?
    Thanks
  10. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    Right now there aren't many trail tires for the standard.
    I gave it a thought a few months ago and yes you can put TKCs and Karoo3 but remember the rim width in the standard model is 3.50 front and 5.00 rear, you'll need the widest tires available. And that means $150-170 for a front tire and $215 for a rear karoo3 or $250-270 a rear TKC
    These rear tires will last close to nothing in such a powerful bike, I couldn't afford installing a new tire every 3-4,000 km (TKC lasted 3,800 km in my 990)
    Adv R rims are pretty wide too, 2.50 and 4,50, trail tires won't last either but at least you can get a 90/90 and 150/70 at half the price

Not trying to pee on your parade but giving you more facts so you can choose wisely.
  11. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    Thanks but most driving will be road 20% trails
  12. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    Then you won't need TKCs nor 21/18 wheels.
    19/17 and OEM tires should be right for you
    RememberTheFallen likes this.
  13. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:

Thank you

Im sure im buying the right bike now :)
  14. Jaimoto

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you are. Trail attacks are not off road tires but still can manage easy trails; my buddy Martynho is running them right now on his 990R and as long as there is no sand or very tricky terrain he keeps up with the other 990s with scorpions and metzeler saharas.

Take a look at this video, the R is ridden by Chaleco Lopez (yep, the guy that was on the podium last Dakar) and the standard by a "normal guy" with an enduro history on his back
    Jump to 3:30

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OwKSGRFpq-E" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  15. harryzgnilek

Oddometer:
    amazing

appreciate it..
    now time to plan a 3 month trip
  16. Adv_rider_Quebec

Adv_rider_Quebec n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2015 1190 adventure/standard. I have the same riding habits has you. Without going towards an "R" , I am getting mine more off-road ready for those dirt roads and even short single tracks. I am adding the following to my ride while keeping 19/17 wheels.

- a brand new set of Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR's;
    - A good bash plate;
    - Crash bars, lower and upper (orange of course...) ;
    - I have tusk pannier rack that I have fitted with a set of 35L Soft panniers;
    - A short PUIG 6847H Racing windscreen;

on order....:

- foldable mirrors for tight places...

with these add-ons, most of riders could go a long way and still be quite capable to venture off-road. Hope this tread will help.

Cheers! IMG_3676.jpg IMG_3678.jpg IMG_3679.jpg

Adv_Rider_Quebec
    OilRat likes this.
  17. danner21

danner21 Nozzlejockey

Oddometer:
    5E295AC0-80F2-4F7F-B8A0-9CFFE4103433.jpeg Sorry, have add my 2 cents, but I have built and rode today a 1290S/R. 21/18 on the S is amazing for BDR type riding and then when you get to the pavement just put the ABS and MCT back on. There are some adjustment that have to be made but none were deal breakers, also this a 1290S not the 1190. The log is part of my BDR Prep workout....
    3rdgeargrndrr likes this.
  18. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum, you will find out quickly, that the bike is more capable than you are at handling most situations. Post pics