Motorcyclepedia, a new motorcycle museum opening in Newburgh NY

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by nachtflug, Apr 2, 2010.

1. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    one of the cool thigns about this bike and I'm sure it was "stock" on this model.

you see the boomerang shaped lever just back from the H in Harley and there is a rod that goes straight down. When you lift it up it opens a flapper which creates a straight pipe and gives more power, when closed the exhaust must pass through the muffler behind the pedal crank.

proving that even then loud pipes did save lives by preventing heart attacks on hills. :mulie

[​IMG]
  3. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott any chance you could make another date a later in the year and a little later in the day so a few of us that would be traveling out fron Boston could make it?
  4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    sure you's can buy me lunch instead of breakfast. :D
  5. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    With pleasure! I'll bring you a Red Sox hat too! :lol3

6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    That place was freakin amazing even before it was a museum. I kinda liked it when they were fabricating bike stuff in and around the old bikes, too. Lent an air of authenticity and a smell of gear oil to it.
  7. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I will probably be swinging by Teds tomorrow late morning.

There is a Hudson Valley Chapter meeting of the AMCA there.

If anyone is interested in tagging along these plans are %80 and will be firm by early evening.

NF

[​IMG]
  8. Trailing Jack

Trailing Jack Dr. Acula

Oddometer:
  9. v4rider

v4rider Re-tread

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested! I'm just across the river in Fishkill.
  10. DirtRoadDave

DirtRoadDave I am Iron man

Oddometer:
    thinking to head over but need directions....
  11. v4rider

v4rider Re-tread

Oddometer:
    I just got back. The museum and the bikes are freaking awesome. An unbelievable collection. Got to talk to Ted and spend some time chatting with his Dad, Jerry thanks to Scott. The pictures I took with my little point and shoot don't do the bikes justice. I'm going to go back and spend the whole damn day drooling on those bikes. Thanks again Scott!

[​IMG]
  12. v4rider

v4rider Re-tread

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    good meeting you Mike.

The look on your face when we came out of the stairwell downstairs and you saw what you saw was...expected. :D
  14. v4rider

v4rider Re-tread

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

I'm sure it was. You told me exactly what I was going to see but the reality of all of those bikes in one place is just overwhelming. It was great to meet you too. Thanks again!
  15. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I'd love to take a look next time you.
  16. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I'll be swinging by tomorrow. 9am. Anyone wants to tag along give me a shout.
  17. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    So, Flug, when this place open to the public?
  18. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    when all the red tape is cut through...

getting a legit sanctioned museum with NYS is an extremely lengthly process. they are close but there is still some local zoning issues to be finalized also. the facility is huge and was the area's premier home center prior to the Lowes/Home Depot invasion in the mid 90's but someones bad fortune was Ted's good. You couldn't build the building now for what he paid for it. It is HUGE and at the same time PERFECT for what he is doing with it. He's looking long term and this facility will be the northeasts and in some ways countries #1 site for 2 wheeled :huh . As I've said before the collection is staggering. I was there yesterday and we discussed his observation that volunteers would be key to keeping it "running" and he's considering opening the facility to different groups in some sort of exchange for mutual beneficial services. Meaning you can "use" the facility in exchange for helping out. Don't quote me on that and this is strictly casual observations he's made. But the possibilities are really intriguing. I observed that one of the bikes (or all) of the bikes he purchased at the auction at Rhinebeck (5?) were pristine restorations, like this Ariel hack which right now probably runs and in a few years probably won't if these things aren't started on occasion and I think he'd be open to some type of tinkering with the bikes. He's got a Black Shadow that I'll guarantee hasn't been fired up since he bought it. 10? 15? 20 years? Anyone want to push a Black Shadow down a long hill and see what happens? :D

So keep an eye on this thread if possible.

When it is officially "open" I'll get a serious kick out of seeing the jaws drop.

Nothing is etched in stone yet and the Hudson Valley Chapter on the AMCA would also be a good organization to keep an eye on. They do have their meetings there and would welcome participation in the club.

Again this is a LONG term project and the plan is these bikes and facility will be there for a VERY long time as in when everyone reading this is long gone.

The good news is that Advriders have a foot in the door before the general public. :D

I'll also ask as before that people don't just "drop by" and ask for a viewing, he's a busy man to say the least. Emails/pm's sent to me would also be more warmly received if the content was something more than

"nachtflug. when will this open. what is the address. what is the phone #. when can I go.

like... gee nice to hear from you too you must be one of THOSE guys.

and this isn't directed to posts in this thread.

and no there won't be any of Neil Pearts bikes there. :snore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I gotta say that pretty cool and close too!!!
  20. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation as well as for all the great pics ongoing. It's very exciting to know something like this will be so close by.