Another centerstand dead!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dieselboy, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    My "new" stand is done.

It is a great job with the reinforcing brace welded in place.

[​IMG]

Sadly, it is Art Ferguson's last project. He died Thursday, losing his battle with cancer. He was my father's friend almost 50 years- since they were 15- and will be missed.

Art thanks. :beer I'll think of you everytime I ride.
  2. NWBeerkat

NWBeerkat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a totally different problem. Bought a new 2011 f650 twin with the lowered suspension. Had them unlower it by swapping with another bike. Don't think they swapped the sidestands as it is easy to miss. Had them install a centerstand at the dealer (OEM?). At arOund 1000 miles I noticed the stands were interacting. Rounded a corner and got some drag because the sidestand did not go all the way up, caught on the centerstand.

Anyone have any ideas or similar problems? The lower side stand should be too short, so it would prevent this right?

For your problems; has anyone considered Case Hardening to reduce the grindage?
  3. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed another reason to prefer the SW Motech center stand. Its about $60 less than H & B Mine is fine a year out. Dave
  4. Westy99

Westy99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey CheckerdD - notice any ground clearance issues with your SW Motech centerstand? Not that I throw my F8 in the corners that crazy but I do like humming around a corner. I'm bolting one up tonight to my bike. I'm guessing it's a non-issue.
  5. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Odd. I rarely use the center stand. Can't imagine wearing it out like that. Do you mount it when it is down? If so why. Personally I'll probably just put something on there like suggested for skateboards.

Typically I use the side stand. Throw a leg over and seems to work just fine. :rofl
  6. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    No. Although I ride with guys who ride off of their center stands, I am not one to do that.
  7. skamikazee

skamikazee Noviço

Oddometer:
    Just my 0.02$ on the assembly

I bought an SW motech centerstand and it's actualy preety easy to mount the springs just with a long screwdriver, just put the bike on the centerstand, hook the springs on the bike, reaching from the back of the bike pass the screwdriver through the lower spring hoops and the fixation point on the centerstand, lever it down until they hook, pull the screwdriver off and your done.
  8. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Granted I had only ~8k on mine when I sold my bike, but WTF is happening to those stands?
  9. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a section of a tire tube and sealed it on there with contact cement and that has been preventing the metal getting rubbed thin.