2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I agree with that statement, you seem to imply that that the 1190 will be a less capable off pavement bike than the 9x0 without any evidence to support such an implication. In fact, the only published first hand riding experience so far says it's better off pavement than the 9x0- indeed (and I admit this is hard to accept) better than the SE. In any case, I think I'll reserve judgment until they get into customer hands so we can get some better informed opinions.

I can't help but feel (at least a little) that if KTM had kept the 9x0 bodywork a lot of the weeping and gnashing of teeth would not exist. Which leads one to a conclusion that maybe the biggest complainers are upset with losing the pose value of the 9x0 "look". And I admit that I regret that as well.
  2. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't, had they kept the body work they would have had the familiar bitch fest about how long it takes to change the oil. You'll never please everyone.
  3. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Put a quickoildrainvalve.com in your 9x0 oil tank and you can change the oil without pulling the fuel tank.
    With the exception of the first service, the screen in the oil tank need only be cleaned when the valves are adjusted.
  4. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    Errrrr because 70% of KTMs business is off-road bikes????
  5. DavidD

DavidD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I have just seen and sat on the 1190R and the standard bikes at the UK show, I was hoping to get to Milan but unfortunately work got in the way :cry

Anyway as a fully committed 990 owner, (I had the S before I got my R) I am very impressed, so much so that I am buying one.

The standard bike looks nice enough and well thought out and will I think be a great road touring machine; one that will easily cope with gravel fire roads and the gentle off road stuff. I also think it will help bring in new riders to KTM, perhaps those that don't want to follow the GS herd anymore. But for me it is just not 'KTM' enough - I can't define that, but it looks a little bland and similar to other adventure bike offerings - that said I still think it will beat other bikes in the comparison tests that will start appearing in the bike magazines next year. It looks very accomplished but has somehow lost the 'edgy Red Bullness' that KTMs are famed for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1e9oulMd8

The 'R' version though is something else and very much what KTM is about - it feels and looks like my enduro bike with the thicker handlebars and the fantastic orange frame.

In terms of ergonomics, when you stand on the pegs, it feels natural and that you could easily steer with your knees which are closer together than on my 990. I can also get the balls of my feet on the floor (5' 10" and 31 inch inseam) as opposed to my tip toes on the 990, which feels better. Also the seat feels more supportive, but only a 2 hour ride would confirm that.

I think it is a natural development of what we have been used to and something that has not lost its Dakar heritage or kudos. The KTM staff on the stand had ridden the pre-production models and praised the power delivery and massively improved braking compared to the 990 - something we all know could have been better.

It will need the Powerparts alloy bash plate and the Akra exhaust, I would also change the sprockets to something better, and the front mudguard would look better in white, but these are minor niggles.

It is a bike that is there to be used and abused; if you are ruled by your head then get the standard bike - you won't be disappointed and your wife, partner or special friend will say that looks like a nice sensible bike.

But if you are ruled by your heart then the 'R' version is for you and a whole new world of adventure awaits.....................:D
  6. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    I hope they make enough of these things... I simply can't wait. I hope it's priced reasonably as well. It'd be a shame to see such a great machine priced out of the reach of those of us who will actually use it.
  7. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that news DavidD!
    I, like others, am hoping that our brothers across the pond will keep those ride reports coming, maybe even a few photos as the first of the year gets rollin'! :evil
    I'm totally excited about this bike, and I would be a new fan of KTM if the price is right and the ride is what I think it might be...this would keep my 955 Tiger company in the stable.

Bring on the knobbies, oh, and the ride reports! :D
  8. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, Scutty, that is precisely my point…

The 950/990 and, soon, the 1190 all address the “Adventouring market” (KTM’s terminology, not mine).

At the other end, KTM has done a remarkably good job of offering for sale purpose-built production models tailored for each and every micro-slice of the competitive dirt bike and dualsport market segments. (To me, this is the 70% segment to which you refer)

But they offer no single-cylinder, long distance (>200 miles between gas), off-road adventure/rally model that exploits their success at the Dakar.

So, in this sense, their investment in the Dakar is simply wasted or, at very least, under utilized. Applying the Dakar moniker to the big twins is little more than marketing hyperbole and I posit that the true dirt bike market segments simply don’t care much about the Dakar.

Re-reading my comment, I can see why you might have gotten that impression, but I really didn’t mean to imply anything about their relative off-pavement capabilities…

If anything, I would have implied that the 1190 will almost certainly be better on-pavement than the 9x0 bikes.

Off-pavement, I suspect the 1190 and 9x0 will be pretty much in the same ballpark in all but the more technical off-road sections.

Notice the distinctions: On-pavement, Off-pavement (i.e., gravel roads, jeep trails), Off-road (trails, gravels washes, sand dunes, etc.). "On-Road", to me, implies both paved and gravel roads.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  9. SwedishViking

SwedishViking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your report. I went with my heart; I am supposed to take delivery in February (and the GS goes).
  10. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    You answered my own train of thought:rofl. They already have the bike 690R and some of the parts(Rally development). If there only thrust is to make money then they should also be attacking BMW's middleweight market also; with a 690 ADV. R. There is a market out there and not just us posers here on the forum, and it seems to be recognized by other companies coming into or into the middleweight market(Triumph,Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda,Aprilia,Yamaha).:clap YES or NO?
  11. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:

all you need is a late model 690 and throw on rally kit and tanks and better suspension too perhaps
  12. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is a start, they already have the development (LC4 640,690), larger tankage, wider gear ratios, A strengthened subframe for load carrying, increased maintenance/durability schedule. They are almost there; just package it and market it:deal.
  13. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bingo! Package it as a Hard Parts Kit for the 690R and it would be good to go with no homologation expenses. Duh!

MookieBlayLoc, if you're referring to the Rally Raid kits, I think they carry the fuel too high. If you're talking about official KTM Rallye Replica parts, they are unobtainium from what I can tell at any price; however, KTM has the tooling for those bits somewhere...all they have to do is make some more piece parts. Dottori might be a suitable alternative, but that doesn't address the wide ratio transmission issue.

I'm dying to reshuffle my KTM deck to include an 1190, 690 Adventure and 500 EXC.

Here's to hoping the 1190 is an unmitigated sales success. Then, perhaps, KTM will have throw us some crumbs.

UPDATE 22-Dec-2012: RallyRaid UK has announced their so-called "EVO 2" kit which appears to address my above stated concern about carrying the fuel too high. For more details, refer to: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832366
  14. TCN

TCN n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking at the places where the official price for the 1190 Adventure has been released (UK, Eu, US) all of them seem to have had a 25-30% hike over the previous 990 model.

Following that (possibly faulty) logic and bearing in mind that the current retail for a 990 in Aus, on Bikesales.com.au is around the A$22,000 are we looking at A$28,000+ for an 1190 Adventure, before even adding any options?

I have a deposit down for an 1190 Adventure but if the price is up there are at that kind of level, i.e. way over A$30,000 when you have added panniers and an Akrapovic pipe then I will probably have to pull out.

I love the bike and I really, really want one but KTM will need to be vary careful with their pricing if they are to sell many of these in Oz. Having said that, it maybe that they will be like a Ferrari in that they will only ever import 1 less than they can sell at an inflated price and there will be enough people prepared to pay north of 30K to justify the pricing.

Here's hoping that they price them to compete and not as a niche player for those with big money. The other problem with such a big hike if it happens is that they risk alienating the 990 fans who will be looking to upgrade/buy a new bike.

Thoughts from the floor?

P.S. I am aware that is not a straight read across in pricing policy from the RoW to Aus and that factors such as import duties and transportation costs vary everywhere but you would have thought that with the strength of the A$ right now they could afford to keep the price down and still make a good profit. Here's hoping....
  15. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.

Why don't you just wait for an actual announcement instead of more speculation? There is not even a US pricing yet, and I don't think I have seen a 25-30% in ANY country? :huh
  16. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pricing is becoming this season's "oil" discussion :lol3
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Much worse, it's rather like trying to predict the price of a specific oil product in foreign markets by correlating it with countries that have completely different tax regulations, F/X rate developments, demand/supply, competition etc. :baldy

Just wait for a simple announcement before getting your panties in a bunch, it's not like your opinion and guesses are going to influence the outcome one little bit.
  18. TCN

TCN n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your considered and polite reply LukasM. If you don't have anything interesting to say then why don't you keep your rude trap shut? I am new to this forum and website but I would have thought that old hands like yourself could make the effort to be welcoming rather than disdainful to people like me. Where I come from bikers stick together.

I think I asked a polite question and for some thoughts from the forum you seem to be saying that I have no right to ask a question unless it conforms to what you believe is appropriate on the forum. Perhaps we should send our questions to the Ministry of LukasM (MiLk) for approval before putting them on the forum?

If you believe that what I said is inaccurate then why is the price for the current 990 in the UK around 10,000 pounds and the price for the 1190 around 12,500 pounds (from KTMs website no less). Guess what, that is 25%! Thanks for putting ANY in CAPITALS by the way, much clearer to UNDERSTAND. If you bother to read my post you will note that I have a deposit down for an 1190 but I am concerned about the price, is this such a terrible issue for me to bring up? Are we only allowed to discuss with 100% of the facts at hand?

These forums are for discussion and opinion not a place to come to be scolded by 'LukasM' from Vienna. Isn't part of the point of a forum 'Speculation'?

Anybody got a worthwhile thoughts to add about my original question?
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, get some thicker skin, this is just the internet. Don't take me or anybody else you meet too seriously.

The UK price comparison is irrelevant because they are blowing them out to clear out the inventory. Price difference in Austria is low single digit.

In the end it's all useless speculation based on many unpredictable variables and you have absolutely no influence on the outcome, so why not just wait for the announcement?
  20. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    My new favorite advrider quote. :lol3