F800GS Holan Crashbars report

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Griz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone that has the Holan Crashbars installed on their F800GS give me a bit of info?

1) Did they install easy?

2) Do they actually protect the side panels?

3) What are your general thoughts on them?

Thanks!:D
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not think they are shipping yet. I like the design concept with the "sacrificial bolts" to the engine. They look very similar to the Hepko-Becker in terms of coverage and general layout. I installed the HB's in about an hour, and I am very slow. I would expect the Holan's to bolt right up no problem at all. I know of several people with Holan's on order (not all F8 BTW). I do not know of anyone who has received any actual product.
  3. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I've had mine for a couple of months now. I went down once in the ice. Can't find a scratch.
    I would recommend them for fit and finish, and being very out of the way.
    When I take a real digger, I'll report back.

[​IMG]
  4. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    What is that ginormous bolt in your brake pedal for?

Nice lookin' bars, btw.
  5. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    The bolt is gone since I put the lowboy footpegs on.
  6. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the "lowboy footpegs"?
    I would like to lower the footpegs to open my knee angle.
    Thx
  7. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
  8. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine are sitting in my garage awaiting the arrival of my F800GS so I can install them. So I can confirm they are shipping. But due to the lack of the bike I can't comment on the installation. They do look well made, and I don't expect any trouble fitting them up by their appearance.
  10. NoFace

NoFace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had the Holan bars in my garage for a month. I will mount them tomorrow as my bike now, after 3 months, is back from repairs.

They seem to fit easy also with BMW big bashplate. I will mention tomorrow if there is any problems.

I think they represent the best balance between beeing robust but not too dominant and not in the way for my knees
  11. BykMyk

BykMyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just recently put a set on the F8. They look like OEM, great lines. For me they were not the easiest to install, it took a couple hours to work out the sequence to get everything to fit properly. The workmanship and material are very good. They contour the plastic very well and feel solid as a rock. I haven't ops checked them (and don't plan to) but feel confident that they will do the job. I'll shoot some pics and post later.
    M
  12. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These look very nice, but are "out of stock" at the US distributer (according to their website). They are also $250 + shipping here in the US. In their home country they list for the euro equivalent of $200. I won't deny they appear better engineered than most.

Guess I'll wait for them to re-stock before I agonize over price.
  13. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got mine from F800Depot just a few weeks ago. Might want to see if they still have some of them there.
  14. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Yup - they are out of stock at the moment, and we're having difficulty keeping them in stock. The shipment due in tomorrow is sold out, and there are only a grand total of 3 remaining from the shipment due to leave the EU next Wednesday / Thursday, arriving in the US close to the end of the month.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about the product or lead time, as I pretty much run the show when in comes to Holan in the US.

:deal

(sorry for the spam!)
  15. alonzo

alonzo Misadventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got them on my F650GS. I had issues with the right side mounting plate (mounts to engine then bars bolt to plate) not fitting due to interference with the clutch cover. I had to grind considerable metal off the plate before it fit. Only other issue was the alignment of the parts that cross in front of the engine ( took a little force to get them aligned so they could be bolted together). I am, however, very happy with the holans. Very nicely made, pretty light weight, look good and (hopefully) give good protection. -- alonzo
  16. NoFace

NoFace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mounted my Holans today. No problems at all. Took about an hour or maybe one and a half. Just let all bolts be loose with slack until every bolt is connected and then tighten. That way no force needed with connecting the halfs in front of cylinder. Did not have to grind anything -the right side plate was curved to avoid interference.
  17. alonzo

alonzo Misadventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm,,, right side plate with my bars was curved too but just wouldn't clear the clutch cover. Took a fair amount of grinding to get it bolted up. But, as I said. I'm happy with the Holan's -- alonzo
  18. mdski

mdski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Holan bars are back in stock and shipping. I had mine on backorder since 2/10 and got them yesterday. I put them on today and they look great! Go on in about half an hour. Directions are not very detailed, but assembly is straightforward. Use Loctite and don't over torque the bolts.

Protection and coverage looks good. They are off center a tad, but otherwise fit and finish is excellent. Another nice thing I noticed was the lower parts of the bars stick out and seem to offer protection to the shifter and brake pedal. They look like they will work with most skid plates. I've got the SW-Motech skid.
  19. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    Mine just came in today, I might just be motivated enough when I get home at 10p tonight to go into the garage and install them... seems like general consensus is the instructions suck but the hardware is pretty easy to figure out. If in the next few weeks or whatever you want to check them out feel free to swing by, I'm over in South Mpls. (also came today is the black wire headlight protectors)
  20. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to them on mine (sat in the garage till 1145 last night putting them on)
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9235226&postcount=548

The instructions are more like a rough guide. At first I thought I was missing some screws/nuts/spacers from what the instructions said SHOULD have been there and what WAS there. Put it all together and everything was there (with two extra screws).

It took a little tugging and muscling to get everything in place and ready to screw down tight, but took about an hour (with 15 just to prep). There were a few times I thought "there's no way..." but it all works out fine. A word to the wise though, there are 4 M6x30 and 4 M6x20 screws and the instructions call for 6 M6x30 and no x20; the instructions say the bottom two on each side uses M6x30, in fact it uses M6x20 and you only need 2 M6x30 for connecting the left and right bars (I didn't realize all this until after the fact, so my right side bottom is using 2 of the x30 and my left side using 2 x20 with the connectors using 2 x30, so I have 2 x20 leftover that would've been better served in the bottom right said with two extra x30s leftover. Not a big deal. You just HAVE to have two x30 for connecting the two bars because the x20 are too short.

But, now that they're on I'm quite impressed and pleased. Good looking and well constructed. How they'll hold up in a crash? I'll let someone else test...