Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You can still switch to the Nuvi Dashboard in the Motorcycle profile to test if you get the speed limit indicator.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
  2. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I successfully installed CNNANT 2013 from the DVD onto my old XP desktop with the Montana connected via USB. Then I did the Lifetime Maps update.

Now on a 2nd brand new Win8 notebook I'm trying to do the same but the DVD won't install. The same Montana is connected in Mass Storage as I can see both the main internal memory and the 8GB uSD as 2 driver letters. DVD runs Garmin Map Setup and after I type in the product key from the DVD case it says "The Product Key is Not Valid for this Map Update."

I am supposed to be able to install it on multiple PC's as long as the same GPSr is connected during install, right?

Ok so I thought maybe it wants the nuMaps Lifetime product key. No, if I use that product key it says "The Product Key you entered is not a valid Product Key."

Googled around but don't see the answer.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    If you use BaseCamp, you don't need to install the maps on the computer. If the gps is plugged in, it should see the maps on the gps.
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I think this is key - it doesn't appear "user friendly" until you're used to it - then it becomes "user friendly" once it's no longer intimidating.
  5. snooker

Oddometer:
    ok that's good to know. But in this case this is a new computer that I do want all the maps on. Also I haven't even installed maps onto the Montana yet, only on my old PC. So is there some trick to install maps onto 2 PC's? no issues with Win8 right? And why does the window say it is doing an update instead of an install?
  6. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Yossarian,

Please direct me to this wiki so I can research how to use my new Montana. I have no idea what to do, but need to learn how to load & share maps from my PC & friends tracks etc.

Regards, Smithy
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/

First thing I read. :nod

Well, after wading through a bunch of this thread until I found the wiki. :lol3
  8. Drif10

Oddometer:
    I think my map load issues are not Montana specific. Think it's a citynav 2013.30/mac issue.

Just messing around pushing buttons, I really like the ability to arrange my menus MY way.

Do not like their idea of a dashboard/map screen. Too much map display area is hogged by their idea of what the screen should be used for. In automotive mode, why the fuck do I lose the top 6th to a banner that insists on telling me the next street name? Haven't found how to nuke that yet. The 'small' data fields take damn near a quarter of the screen. Although the data fields are east to clear away, well then you lose the use of them.

As for my install issues, gonna yank my sd card and see if the install works going straight to the memory.
  9. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    And I take it they are not transparent ?
  10. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost me here.

You appear to be complaining about the data fields taking up part of the map screen, then admit they are very simple to hide, giving more screen space to the map.

And then you complain you loose the use of the data fields when you do so?

A completely illogical argument where the only true motivation appears to be a need to complain about nothing.
  11. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    I think your misunderstanding him Atlas,
    I think he means, he likes the data fields because they are valuable but why are they so large ? Eliminating them just...........well, eliminates them and renders them useless.

I'm sure he is just thinking out out and is, in his mind, comparing them to the data fields on the *76/78 series. Which are small and transparent.
  12. Drif10

Oddometer:
    It's in the execution that it fails. In other units, they had these items on screen, but didn't detract from the usable map displayed. But in this unit, the sheer size of the field blocks (which are opaque) plus the banner on top (also opaque) means that you lose half of the map displayed. That's big, especially when it's something that they've shown they can do.

It's quite understandable that you can only have a screen so big. Making efficient use of that screen is only sensible, don't you think? Since Garmin has this ability in their arsenal, it's a shame that this unit doesn't have it.

As for your final comment...

Have a nice day.
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Regarding data fields being too damn big and opaque, write to Garmin CS asking for a fix. I did. It may not help, but the more times they see that request, the better chance of them doing it.
  14. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Okay, learned something here.

I only had mapinstall put in CN NT 2013.30, without the memory card in it. This forced the install to the onboard memory.

And there it is, CN working nice as you please. :clap

Now, how do I get my other maps installed on the mem card without messing with CN? If I just run mapinstall again with the card in, does anyone know if it will try to 'move' CN onto the mem card again, or just put the other map sets there?

:ear
  15. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Will do for sure.
  16. JT

JT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tip for the day.

After Dan posted about the little stick-on rubber nipples on his gloves, I thought why not a dot of silicone?

The first time I tried it, it lasted 6 months. So, I did it again. Just let it dry then clip off the point leaving enough to give a good bump. Works great on the touch screen.

Thanks, Dan

[​IMG]
  17. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Another difference from the 478:

You lose one level of detailed zoom. Now, the 478 was unique that way, all other garmins topped out at the same level, only the 478 went one more step. So... not a big, but a diff.
  18. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    This thread makes it sound harder than it is. I advised a GPS newbie to buy a Montana but warned him that there is a learning curve. A few days after he picked one up he asked me what the difficult part was because he found it very easy to use :huh Basic OOTB navigation is very straight forward. If you get into customization then you may have a few areas that you may need to "play" with until you get what you want.
  19. snooker

Oddometer:
    Is there an installation thread I can ask this question on? Thanks. I *is* supposed to allow installing CNNANT onto multiple PC's using the same Montana GPSr connected, right?
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Do you even need to have the gps plugged in as you install to the new PC? I think the issue is that your gps has newer maps than the dvd so if the gps with newer maps is plugged into the target computer, it will try to match the serial number on the dvd to the updated maps and fail because of it.

Have you tried installing without the gps plugged in?

And there is a forum you could ask the question on. forums.garmin.com.