~140mph get off.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by inpayne, Jan 5, 2011.

1. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Background, honda F3, A Group trackday, Novice Racer

Riding along at putnam race track. Very cold, probably somewhere around 40ish.

First session was fine, sliding around, but not too bad.

Second session, haul ass out of pit lane, and to try and get some heat in the tires get on the binders a little sooner, brake a little harder.

It was pretty bizarre because at that point I was on the ground, no wiggle, no feel, nothing, bam on the ground.

But I was sliding along the ground next to it (for a long effin time) I was sort of inspecting it visually while sliding, I decided I could have it ready by lunch pretty easy.... until it went into the grass, and tumbled and exploded into a million parts. :( Day was done at that point.

[​IMG]

Went from that

to

[​IMG]

:/

Just kinda sitting in the garage now lol. Not really sure what to do with it. Might just strip it and rig it, and just beat the hell out of it on the street till it blows up. idk

But I thought I'd make this thread to show how good gear really is. I didn't have a SCRATCH on me. My hand was a little burned, but almost none at all. I'd say that's pretty good for how fast I was going :)

Joe rocket leathers, and gloves (LOVE THE 7.0 gloves) Arai (never did hit my head thank god, shits expensive :D ) tehnic speedstar boots, alpinestar track protection vest.

RIP fishy pants :(

[​IMG]

A departing picture I like to whore around :)
  2. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    How did you get off at 140 on Novice day?
  3. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean?

It was a trackday, but tap'd the brakes going into t1, and bam.
  4. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Runs with Scissors

Oddometer:
    Important part you are laughing about it.

Equipment can be replaced - the personal stuff not so much!
  5. dwestly

dwestly Refuses to Grow Up! Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just did a track day on Monday at Jennings, and it was 35 degrees the first session out. The tires were actually (and very noticeably) colder when we came in from the first and second sessions than they were when we took the tire warmers off before each outing (You were using tire warmers, right?). Everyone was tip-toeing around the track until it warmed up at mid-morning and the tires finally started getting some grip.

Point is, at 40ish, your tires just aren't going to heat up to their normal temp. Add in cold pavement, cold rider, etc and bad things tend to occur. At least your gear did its job. Sorry to hear about the bike, but glad you're OK.
  6. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Na, no warmers. People that were using warmers were not even getting warm anyway.

But after talking to some VERY experienced people, cold tires was not so much the issue as cold suspension was. My tires were decently warm at the end of the first session, and I was just tip toeing, just gassing and braking hard. As hard as I could anyway.

Live and learn.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, glad you did so much better then the bike did.
    That bike looks bad!
  8. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It started up right away! smoked out my garage, but that cleared up :D

Rest of it no so good. Frame and subframe is still strait as an arrow, no idea how. But pretty much every thing that sticks out of the bike is ruined. (everything front of the frame, rearsets, both rims have a slight bend now, tank is pretty mangled) other than that is tip top :p

I sort of have to hot wire it to start since the started switch was killed.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    2004 daytona. first practice for my son. temps in the 40's. tires on warmers for hours in advance. outlap ok slowly building speed. next lap son leading a drafting pack into the kink. right flick on the cold side put him on the ground in a flash. runover by p2. followed to ambulance to emergecy room and relieved he is alive. 3 months off for a concussion.

and that's the way it goes in the cold.

ot your fault.
  10. dwestly

dwestly Refuses to Grow Up! Supporter

Oddometer:

Deleted...its just not worth it...
  11. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your son.

And never said it wasn't my fault?

And yeah, I don't own any warmers yet. Would they have helped in this instance? MAYBE, maybe not.
  12. sparklr

sparklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wrong Forum?:*sip*
  13. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting into the whole adventure thing. I thought I'd share an experience.
  14. Owyhee

Owyhee Alpha mail

Oddometer:
    Good form. Glad you're okay and welcome to ADV.

-Owyhee
  15. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked that part.:roflA dedicated racer!

Glad you ain't dinged worse. Poor bike!
  16. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Your profile doesn't say where you live but, check out http://www.williescycle.com/

They have all kinds of parts for old sports bikes. I found the place by accident out exploring one day.
  17. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of expected...

That's why none of my street bikes put a tire on the track, only the trackbike does and I think of it as "disposable". Obviously I don't want to wreck it, but when it has happened, my life goes on and my street riding is not affected... I just stop doing trackdays until I've replaced my gear and the bike is fixed.

I'd keep it and turn it into a dedicated trackbike. Either way, the first thing you do with a bike to turn it into a trackbike is to remove the street stuff and replace the fairings, and well, the track already did that for you :wink: So you're halfway to having a dedicated trackbike. Get some cheap forks, wheels and fairing stay from ebay (if yours can't be salvaged). As it is now, there is not much money to be made from parting it, and selling it "as is" will get you so little money that it isn't really worth selling it.
  18. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean by kinda expected but...

It pretty much was my dedicated trackbike. I never used it on the street but to go to school. It was pretty far from street legal.

It used to look like this till I killed it.

[​IMG]

But regardless I already have a dedicated SV now for racing, I could care less about riding on the street, but it's nice for school, and around town.

I never thought this bike as not disposable, I would have never raced it otherwise, and why I can laugh about it. Its not worth anything, so fuck it.
  19. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant that a wreck is expected when you ride a bike hard, specially on the track.

How are you liking the SV compared to the F3?
  20. inpayne

inpayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It def wasn't the first time i've crashed the f3, haha

But I've only ridden it around the block so far.....

Idk, its about as fast as the F3, my f3 is about to blow at anymoment, it's power just kept dropping, F3 is faster when it's better tho, not by a whole lot tho. but the sv, has no drama, It just chugs along, boring really.

Honestly SV's are pieces of shit bikes, they are cheap, the quality isn't there (better than a nina 250 however), its def not put together as well as my honda (was), the only reason I have one is i'm poor and I have people to races against with it. I wouldn't buy one otherwise, not a chance.