1. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Challenge:

4 National Parks and 4 States in One Day.

Dates:

May 25-27, Memorial Day Full Moon Ride!

Fuel range:

230 miles (workarounds possible though not encouraged)

National Parks Entrance Fees apply. I recommend having an annual pass. That said, we will probably only pass through 2 gates (Zion and Bryce) where they actually check passes and collect fees.

The test run was successful. :clap

Probably the most scenic adventure bike ride ever. 650 miles to the first overnight stop. Joshua Tree NP to Capitol Reef NP. Some dirt sections but mostly fast pavement the first day.

Day 1: Starting point Coachella Valley. Up Berdoo Canyon Road through Joshua Tree NP in the dark pre-dawn hours. This will weed out those who really shouldn't undertake this ride. Across the Mohave Preserve where a fantastic sunrise over the Mohave Desert will greet us. Zoom past Vegas in the early a.m. and slab it through the beautiful Virgin River Canyon in AZ and on up to Zion NP. After transversing national park number 2 the ride moves on up to the unimaginably fantastic in every way Highway 12. Through Red Canyon and on to the Hoodoos of Bryce Canyon NP. Leaving the frozen rock warriors the ride returns for the meat of Hwy 12 past Escalante and over the backbone of the ridge culminating with a 9,600 ft pass before dropping down into Capitol Reef NP to end the day. There are both camping and hotels available but reservations are pretty much required unless you just pitch a tent trailside.

Day 2: You could turn around and ride back or take other options making it a 2-day loop. Or... Lots more dirt and lots more incredible scenery. Some potentially challenging sections. If you made it up Berdoo with no issues you should be ok. If not there are pavement bypasses for the dirt sections. After starting and exploring in Capitol Reef the ride goes up some 4WD trails, back over the 9,600 ft pass to Boulder where we drop back down into Capitol Reef NP via the amazing Burr Trail. A dirt "short-cut" carries us over to pavement and eventually to Hwy 95 through Red Rock slot canyon country and down to the Colorado River at Hite. A brief loop through Natural Bridges National Monument, over to the top of Moki Dugway, zip down more dirt to overlook Goosenecks State Park, down the Dugway for an incredible dirt loop through Valley of the Gods. Pass through Mexican Hat, and then Monument Valley where another dirt loop can be taken. Page is an easy overnight option again with both camping and motels. Due to a landslide closure of Hwy 89 if one goes to Page for the overnight it is unfortunate but one is forced to ride back on Hwy 89 instead of the wonderful motorcycling alternative, Hwy 89A. From Hwy 89A it is possible to camp right on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon making it possible to visit 5 national parks on this run.

Day 3: North Rim Grand Canyon dirt roads (or Page no more dirt) out to I-15 and the slog back to civilization mostly retracing the paved roads of Day 1.

This is not a little bike ride. This is a big bike ride for big boys (and girls) who can put in long miles and who can actually ride ther big bikes in the dirt. Long fuel range required.

The Lunar Calendar indicates a Full Moon on Memorial Day weekend....
  2. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  4. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  5. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Longest segment of the trip is to Capitol Reef National Park (Reefer Madness). :deal

Should I quote your sig line?
  6. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  7. hbmichael

hbmichael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont make him prove it!
  8. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:

It is a great ride. There will definitely be reefers:

Noun
    Reefer (plural Reefers)
    (nautical) One who reefs; a name often given to midshipmen.

Verbs for Reef
    avoid—; cast upon—; drift to—; drive upon—; doom to—; founder on—; lash—; pound—; shatter on—s; thunder on—; — descends ; —extends ; —menaces; —ranges; —stretches; —threatens.
  9. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  10. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend's phone photos from the scouting trip. A meager sample of things you might see on this trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people have expressed interest in doing this ride on Memorial Day weekend. Plan on the developed campground in Capitol Reef being full. It is first-come, first-served, no reservations only.

There is primitive, pit toilet camping available on some of the backroads. Other than that there are a few national forest campgrounds in the area along with Bullfrog marina on Lake Powell. Best to check at the Capitol Reef NP Visitor Center to see what's up. I plan on camping in Cathedral Valley (primitive, free camping) in the National Park.

There are also motels outside the park and at Bullfrog.

I would suggest Bullfrog as a last resort for both camping and motel for various reasons, proximity to the day's route the primary reason.

If you are interested in doing this ride leaving Early Saturday morning and returning Memorial Day Monday let me know.
  12. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Dates , what is your est, point to point range (fuel stops) do you drink adult beverages
  13. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dates May 25-27

Fuel Range 230 (spirited riding) work-arounds possible.

Adult beverages? :clap :freaky
  14. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    You FFs who are on the fence better post up before this opportunity disappears.

So far the response rate and "In's" is not impressive.

If you want to do one of the most awesome Adventure rides ever you should PM me or reply with an "IN" ASAP or the woman gets my deserved attention instead of you FFs.
  15. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    Would this be Crazy Jeff? And is he back to torturing bikes? Is he IN on this?

I ask cause I'd prefer not to end up upside down in the bushes again. :amazon :lol3

So what's the mileage looking like for the whole wazoo?
  16. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike!

Yes, that is Crazy Jeff. He tortured his bike on the pre-run a couple of weeks ago. He hasn't committed but he should be.

If returning to the starting point it's about 1,700 miles. First day is the longest. Second day is most diverse riding. Last day is mostly super easy fast highway miles.

There's room for a fair number of people to stay overnight at my place and probably Jeff's place too so you can be really close to the departure point.
  17. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Bump just because of the awesome title. Did anyone go on this butt burner. Weather should be perfect and a little cooler in the dez.
  18. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Think he had it set for this weekend, nice loop would like to see ride report
  19. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Any ride reports?
  20. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride was a great success. Lots of fun. We had some flexibility in our schedules so we left earlier and included Moab and 2 more National Parks.

I have photos. Mom's in hospital. Between that and business I haven't had time to upload or write a proper ride report.