Can-bus bike to sidecar..stop/signal lights?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi Hackers....

Does anyone have a writeup(schematic diagram) or pictorial guidance for the wiring of a Can-Bus system (r1200) to the URAL stop/signal lights? I am about ready to wire my 3/4 finished Tub. Thank you...
  2. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider Too slow to get out of my own way...

Oddometer:
    You cannot simply wire the lights directly on a Can-BUS equiped bike. The extra electrical load will fault out the system.

It IS possible to "cook your own" wiring harness with relays and other fun stuff to do the job, but the real fun comes when you try to design the circuit to sense the difference between running lights and braking on the taillight section, since the bike's taillight uses a single filament bulb and simply varies the voltage to change the brightness.

The simplest solution is to go with the plug-n-play kit offered by "The Electrical Connection".

http://electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

For a BMW Can-BUS bike you will need to order the base relay block (p/n 07660), and then get two sub-harnesses to adapt it to the BMW wiring harness and the Can-BUS system. For my 2005 R1200RT those were (p/n 07665, and 07666). I would suggest giving them a call to confirm for your bike, as you did not give your exact year/model, and there may be slight differences...

On my bike it was litterally a plug-and-play installation. The harness came with pre-installed connectors which simply plugged into the back of the existing light assemblies to pick up the trigger signals, and then you connect your sidecar/trailer lights to the other end.
    (For sidecar use, you simply cap/tape off the left turn signal output wire...)
  3. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU...BMWzenrider..I will seek their advise
  4. Threewheelbonnie

Threewheelbonnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad someone seems to know.

Been trying to avoid a highjack, but as we seem to have an answer here goes. Why have BMW done this? I work with CAN systems and where you have multiple functions its a good thing. Two wires instead of sixty-three makes a vehicle lighter and cheaper. How does this have any advantage when 4 functions need two ECU's to replace a relay and 2 meters of 6-core? :huh

IMHO I think BMW service asked for it. There is a lot of cash to be made "resetting" ECU's that saw odd readings.

Andy
  5. Agent Wayward

Agent Wayward 2 wheels good, 3 wheels better!

Oddometer:
    Any clues on how to sort out a BMW F800ST can bus for sidecar lights?

I have sidelights and brake light working but indicators flash fast and trip a fault on the dash.

I guess I need a magic breakout box of some description?
  6. Agent Wayward

Agent Wayward 2 wheels good, 3 wheels better!

Oddometer:
    Actually, scrub that, I did what Ivan would do. Covered the bulbs with heat proof material.

:D
  7. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yes,,,,,http://electricalconnection.com/wire...ns-trailer.htm
    We use these guys products all the time. Trust me Some CANBUS bikes are different than others and they are great to call with questions as well.
    Canbus has it's good sides however the bad sides when knowledge is lacking can have terrible results. I, frankly , think manufacturers want owners to have to take the products back to a dealer to work on it. But thanks to some
    this is not the case most times.
    We are in the midst of doing a BMW /2 project right now and it really makes one think if we have really moved forward from bygone days IN SOME WAYS..