Who sold their big, powerful street bike and bought a KLR650?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, May 3, 2010.

1. piccini9

piccini9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my '79 CB750 and got a KLR.
    Lately I've been thinking about getting a big fast road bike, but every time I get on the KLR I just fall in love all over again.

Plus, the more beat up it gets, the better it looks.
  2. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Didn't sell my road bike (sorry, selling the GS ain't gonna happen :lol3 )

But to answer the highway question:

I have ridden my KLR for several 800-900 mile days back to back, prior to getting it kitted out with a throttle lock and sheepskin buttpad. My arse hurt, but the bike did fine. Indicated 75mph (GPS read 71mph) with a 15 tooth CS. I like laying down on the tank bag to support my weight and tucking down as far as I can. I am not terrible big (5"10, 170 lbs.), but was carrying WAY too much crap on the trip--not again--, but the KLR did just fine. Overloaded and still got 50-51mpg. Not a powerhouse, but it will get the job done and it's reliable. (and it didn't use any oil :thumb ) It has gone from Charleston, SC to southern Indiana & back on several occasions, too, all interstate. Never a trouble.

By comparison, my 28 year old Suzi (GS1100EZ) is a freaking starship in the smoothness and speed department, and gets comaparable mpg when ridden sanely but I still love the KLR for what it is.
  3. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    I went from a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure to a 2008 KLR650. The KTM was just too big for the type of riding I do. Most of my time was spent worrying when it was going to break next. Add to that the expensive constant maintenance and it was no contest. The KLR won out! The deal breaker was a trip to Deal's Gap. A bunch of us rode down for a week. I was on the KTM and a buddy had just purchased a new '08 KLR. I'm barely getting 30 mpg and he's getting 60 mpg. He paid less than 5k and I had over 13k in mine. My preparations cost me over $650 at the dealership and he spooned on a new $70 rear tire onto the KLR. When I looked in my rearview mirror that KLR was right there with the rest of us, on our V-twin motorcycles.

All of this got me thinking, do I really need the 950 and all the hassles that come with it? The KTM just didn't add up for me anymore. The answer was to simplify my life and get the KLR. I tried to trade the 950 in on a new '08 KLR. Honestly, the dealers all laughed at me and asked, "what would we do with that?" Great motorcycle alright! It's still sitting in my shop! :huh

My time now is dedicated to making the KLR better with a new suspension.

SamM
  4. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    Not exactly, but I did offload a Tiger in favor of a DRZ-400.

It worked out great - no regrets at all. Light weight and simplicity beats power any day.

I'd rather have a KLR than any big multi-cylinder bike, for street or offroad usage. YMMV.
  5. Jon B.

Jon B. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an '04 KLR last week but am hanging on to the Road King.

The KLR is just for fun riding; for long road trips, I'll use the Harley - like next month's ride around Lake Superior (1600+ miles).

The KLR is a whole 'nuther riding experience; I'm having to learn how to ride all over again. The nice thing about a 6-year-old bike (and inexpensive!) is that I don't shed any tears when I dump it on its side. Heck, it's all plastic, and the color goes all the way through the pieces!

Mine's equipped with Dunlop 606 tires front & rear, so they're noisy on the highway. I'd prefer something more appropriate for long highway trips, I think.

I do intend to 'farkle' it up a bit - tank & engine guards and a skid plate. It could use better hand guards, too.

Jon B.
  6. Illinois

Illinois Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Purchased an 09 KLR intending to sell off a Vee strom. Enjoy the KLR but will be keeping both.
  7. old-n-slow

old-n-slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swapped an '05 Bandit for an '09 KLR, still have an ST1300 in the garage.

Loved the Bandit but don't miss it. I doubt I'll tour on the KLR, really, why bother with the ST on hand for that? I'm enjoying the KLR very much for day trips into the Western North Carolina mountains, and when I get into the back country, I know what they mean when they say a KLR on these roads will destroy a sport touring rig. It's true. It's very, very true.
  8. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Four years ago I went from a '97 TL1000S to a '00 KLR650. No regrets. I really liked that TL and it gave me no problems over the course of 6 years and 20K+ miles; but it wasn't very comfortable, and it sure wasn't much of a dirtbike. The KLR does everything that I need it to do--more power and taller gearing to match would be nice, of course, but it ain't really necessary. I'm planning on keeping the KLR until it's worn out, and that's probably gonna take a while.
  9. sliverstorm

sliverstorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I personally don't like doing 80mph or whatever on my KLR. Even with a larger front sprocket, 75mph is around 5k rpm, and I don't like that.

But, really, it handles the freeway cruising I do (65-75 indicated) just fine. My take on it is it's no 85mph Midwest mile-eater, but it handles the freeway just fine and better than the DR and XR.
  10. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    I have multiple bikes now but back when I could only have one, I'd always keep my KLR (back to 87'). Of all my bikes currently, the KLR gets out the most.
    I commute, run errands, bar hop and adventure tour on my KLR loaded with camping gear. Yes, it struggles some above 70, gets blown around by the wind and sounds like a VW bus. But for me, it's the perfect bike for a little of everything.
    Some won't agree, but then I like Oysters, some people don't... go figure!
  11. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had an Ultra Classic, but didn't sell it to get a KLR. I got the KLR
    to commute to work, don't think I could force myself to do a long
    road trip on it, got spoiled with cruise control and the stereo .
  12. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLRs can do it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all the same bike...:D
  13. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Given the responses, I'd say overall, making the switch was/is positive. Appreciate all the input. :thumb
  14. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still thinking on this...:hmmmmm:D
  15. Northwest Cajun

Northwest Cajun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a Harley for sale, since the KLR came along, I don't ride it much:wink:

Attached Files:

16. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My boss has an '06 with less than 5000 miles, faded plastic been sitting, I may possibly pick up.
    When I first rode it I was very unimpressed. Not much power, viby and the shock felt like a hardtail.:lol3
    After lubing the chain, adjusting the shock, removing the carb for cleaning, drilling out the fuel mixture plug and going up to a 152 main from a 148, it feels like a completely different bike!
    It actually rides pretty nice and has more power. I was able to wheelie it in 2nd gear and ride it out a bit.:lol3
    The vibes don't seem as bad now either.
    What I REALLY like about this thing is the riding position. It fits me really well, especially my long legs.
    This would be my STREET BIKE. I have no intentions of off-roading it other than the occasional gravel or dirt road/trail.

If my V-Strom sells, I might just have to pick this thing up.
  17. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not sell the DL1000, but I sometimes forget to put the KLR away to ride it. The DL is my car, the KLR is my toy, between the two I do better than 20K miles per year.

After three years on the DL riding everything from slab to light single track I decided it was time to get a realistic after I dropped the V-strom on my foot going up engineer pass and spent 2 months in a walking boot.
  18. NDTransplant

NDTransplant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold a well-accessorized 2008 Kawasaki Nomad and bought a new 2009 KLR650. It wasn't that I didn't like the Nomad, but my riding style was undergoing a 'change'. Wanted to 'explore' more- gravel, dirt, etc.

[​IMG]

I had a lot of frusterations with the KLR ........

[​IMG]

(mainly self-induced by trying to use it for stuff it was never really intended for) but have many fond memories of it, just the same.

Off on the next great adventure....

[​IMG]

Looking back, if I wanted something for all street/highway, no way it would be the KLR. But if budget was the primary concern, no question they can be had for cheap. And they're simple, which holds a certain appeal.

Kawasaki Versys sure seems to be well-liked by those who have them, and used ones would be reasonable- not as cheap as a KLR, though. BUT, you'd have way more HP, fuel injection, blah blah blah.
  19. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't sell my Lowrider when I bought my KLR last spring, but I didn't ride it nearly as much as the KLR last summer either. After spending a few months with it, I took the KLR out to the Sturgis rally rather than the HD. I can't bring myself around to selling the Harley, though. Planning to enjoy both of them again in 2011, although the bigger KTM and BMW adventure bikes sure look nice.
  20. facetjoint

facetjoint TONKA

Oddometer:
    I unloaded a Kawasaki Voyager 3 years ago for my then new 2007 KLR The KLR does all I need it to do.