To Center Stand or Not

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by CheckerdD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just pulled the trigger on a white F800GS. I have a 05 1200 GS that is going to become my road bike. There were two 800's at Sierra BMW. One had a centerstand, the other not. I picked the one without the Center stand. I want light as possible. I have a lift at home. Did I screw up? Dave
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Well IMHO a centre stand is absolutely necessary if you are going to do anything more than commute or play on Sunday afternoons with the bike.

No of course you didn't stuff up, and many have ridden millions of kays without one. But you will find that doing things like chain mantenance and fixing a flat much harder than need be.

I would get one and stick it on.
  4. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    I rode my DR and DL 650s with no centrestands, and always thought they were cumbersome, heavy, stupid things only your dad would want.

My 800 came with one standard, and I now cannot imagine life without it (in the ADV context). Trailside tyre repairs, luggage loading, chain lube... it's all so easy.

The BMW 'ram's horn' type doesn't allow the bike to (easily) rock backward and lift the front off the ground, but it's stable and came free. Not sure if the aftermarket 'antelope antler' types would allow you to rock the front up or not, but whatever you choose, check for compatibility with your preferred bash plate.
  5. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sw motech center stand is easier to put up than the BMW ram horns and works with the BMW aluminum skid plate. They also let you rock the bike to lift front wheel into the air with some extra weight on the rear seat.
  6. ziepan

ziepan Thread Killer

Oddometer:
    If you have a lift at home I wouldn't worry about it.

It could come in handy if...____ ? But personally I wouldn't spend the $ and the effort to haul it around for just an if.

I have one and love mine but I don't have a lift.
  7. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Get one. Makes life easy. It will take the occasional hit off road but that is the price you pay. The feet on the SW Motech one are small. It is ridiculously easy to put your bike up on the BMW stand once you get the technique. Do it in my bare feet and I'm just an average sized lad.
  8. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
    IMHO the exposure of the cat/pipe makes the center stand a "must have" for rocky terrain.
    p
  9. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I agree w/ Indy.

I have the stock one out in the shed. Couldn't stand it.
  10. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    Yes, the centre stand is really useful on this bike, especially for tasks such as loading luggage on a (now) stable bike, lubing the chain is real easy, punctures, etc.

And I have someone sit atop the pillion part of saddle on standard BMW centre stand as a test to rock back back the bike and lift the front wheel off of the ground, and that works, too.

Buy it, my 5c
  11. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guy's. I guess this is another lesson I am learning the hard way. I am going to get the SW Moteck. Could have had the BMW for free.... Dave