Airhead LED pr0n

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by ignatz72, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Sorry I meant to look last night but forgot. I'll look tonight.

I just hope I stuck my little note with the info somewhere that I knew I'd find it again...

*****EDIT: apparently I hid it from myself, sorry I can't find it :(
  2. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    Kisan replied with .... most likely shorted unit .. but try holding l and r flashers then turning on ignition .. just ordered a new unit ... feeling naked running without canceling signals lol hopefully i dont have a short . i have continuity on the green brn to the blue black at the relay connector ...The sm6 is a complex unit vs the stock relay ... fingers crossed that i dont have a shorted wire under the headlight .... iggy u know what i mean .......its a bitch putting all that back together stu
  3. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    That's odd, I had VERY similar symptoms and I was given a more complex procedure than that. The factory reset involved holding some buttons down and turning the ignition on three times in a row, holding on the third. When I used the procedure on mine, it magically became a good unit again.

I really wish I could find my little cheat sheet.

The problem with these signal flashers is that they contain microprocessors to control all the different functions and if some connections get wet or a short happens in the system, the Kisan can improperly remember a garbled value for one or several of the settings. Then you get the turn signals on when the bike is off, or bad flashing behavior, etc. So it's good they have a reset procedure built into the unit.

I just wonder why they gave you a different version of the procedure? Did you talk to Andy, using the phone menu option #4?

I tried calling a bit ago but they close at 4PM MTN time.
  4. darklight79

Oddometer:
    I received a quick email from somebody ... No phone contact ... so have to wait till after the holiday . Info I received was hit left and right then turn on ignition that all Seems odd when the right signal are already on when keys off ...." from kisan don't know if the #3 fuse on your bike is for combination of loads or just the turn signals. If a voltage spike went in the signalMinder from the power side, it most likely did take out the microcontroller.

Anyway, try this reset - just in case.

1) Hold both tight and left turn signal buttons down first, then
    2) Turn the ignition key on

If the signalMinder DOES NOT flash but simply turns on the lo-intensity mode for the all four turn signals, it was reset.

If not, there's internal hardware damage."
  5. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    No, that info you got is not right. Whoever sent that is wrong.

Wait until you can get in touch with Andy on the phone. He'll set you straight.
  6. combatmmuter

combatmmuter n00b

Oddometer:
  7. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Nope, sorry, that procedure is just for turning the brake flash option on and off.

There is a distinctly separate, non-documented factory reset procedure which clears errors that are a result of a short causing a bad value to get stored in the Kisan's memory.

Hopefully Andy will be answering tomorrow...
  8. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Finally got a hold of Andy at Kisan, and he explained the reset procedure again.

There are actually two methods:

1. Unplug the SM-6 for 30 seconds or more. Because the unit normally receives always-on power from pin 2 to keep the memory chips refreshed, removing power should allow the memory to clear and reset to default values.

2. In case you are lazy and don't want to pull the bike apart to unplug it, you can instead hold the Right Turn Signal button down and then switch the ignition key on and off THREE times quickly, leaving it on after the third "on" maneuver. Quickly means the third on must happen within about 3.5 seconds from the first on. ( so it's "on, off, on, off, on"). It may work from park instead of off, I don't recall perfectly though.

I'm pretty sure I tried #1 when mine shorted and started acting crazy. I even left it unplugged overnight without luck. I was ready to send it to them when Andy told me the #2 trick, and it worked for me.
  9. darklight79

Oddometer:
    Iggy thanks I will try your procedure via andy ...Thank you for going the extra mile ... Andy did send me a new one at a nicely discounted price ...So i will try the procedure then failing that i will have another on hand tomorrow ... stu
  10. darklight79

Oddometer:
    It works now .... Replaced the relay all good ...So YES there maybe a reset procedure .But it didnt work for my unit .So I have an extra sm6 that may or may not be toast .... Thinking about doing an autopsy to see what happened .Now working on a ADV waterproof voltmeter later today :clap
  11. darklight79

Oddometer:
    So .. I would like to change out the parking light in the headlight to LED ....Whats the right one Iggy?
  12. TwoTrackMind

TwoTrackMind Full Tilt Boogie

Oddometer:
    I went with the BA9s-xHP9 from Superbrightleds. I chose the amber to be a little different. It looks like it throws about the same amount of light as the incandescent bulb.
  13. R100LT

R100LT Chasing 11

Oddometer:
    I used two strips of LED's lights mounted on a strip of ABS plastic and fitted that into the park light area. Nice little mod , gives out more light and also clears out a bit space in the fairing to make it easier to get at things in a RT
  14. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    BA9s should fit, but LEDs are not recommended in headlight buckets due to the heat generated by the headlight bulb... So technically there's no "right one" for HL bucket applications.
  15. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With some help from the posts in this thread, I just replaced all the bulbs (except the gen light) in my /5 with LEDs from superbrightleds.com. Thanks for compiling this info.

[​IMG]
  16. TwoTrackMind

TwoTrackMind Full Tilt Boogie

Oddometer:
    That looks good good. It has an almost modern glow.
  17. ignatz72

ignatz72 call me iggy

Oddometer:
    Nice job brocktoon, glad the info here helped!

What bulbs did you end up using? Did you replace the gauge illumination bulb?

2 miles? If that's not a new or rebuilt gauge, I'm envious.
  18. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would totally love more detail there brocktoon. I'd like to replace my /5 gauge lights with LEDs while I'm in there.
  19. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SBLEDs only has one style of BA7 bulb, so I got the following:

Gauge illumination: 2 white bulbs
    Neutral indicator: 1 green
    High beam indicator: 1 blue
    Oil pressure light: 1 amber

For the turn signal indicator (BA9 blub) there are more choices. I went with the green wide-angle BA9 bulb. Since the bulb's only for notifying the operator (i.e. not for visibility) it was cheaper and has proven plenty bright for its intended purpose.

I haven't field-tested the gauge illumination bulbs yet, so I'm not sure how well they'll light it up at night. Comparing them head-to-head with the standard bulbs they appear brighter, but it's a cooler light.

Down the road I'll likely replace the turn signal bulbs and the flasher relay with one that can support LEDs.