Need extra space for spares/tools on the 950?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Autostream, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not wanting to fill up my luggage with tools and spares, I have been looking to fit all spares and tools on the bike. Things like spare tubes in the front fairing, air compressor without housing etc...

When a new cpmputer was delivered to the office with some very nice closed cell foam, I finally had what I needed to use that spare 20mm space under the seat.

In my case I have managed to fit 8/10/12/14mm spanners, original pliers, folding 'T' handle ratchet screwdriver, pocket knife & a pair of 32/22mm combination tire lever/spanners...

[​IMG]
    When the seat is fitted, it sits flat and secure across the top and holds everything in place, even on my frequent plants in the dirt nothing has moved.

TIP: Used close cell foam as it will absorb less water when it rains or when washing the bike. The MK1 was open cell foam and a pain in the ass to dry out each time.

In the original tool box I can now fit the balance of the original toolkit, binding wire, several 0.5ml capsules of loctite, mini WD40 can & refillable can of chain lube**, 12v compressor sans housing and guage, tire repair kit, epoxy putty, selection of nuts, screws, washers, fuses etc, tire guage, electrical wire, duct & insulating tapes, needle nose locking pliers, spare s/plug, cable ties and other stuff that I can't remember...

I have also got three, 3 way 'Y' handled sockets with 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,17,19 tied to the frame behind the airbox where the excess plumbing used to live, I figure I should not need these often so they are tied with wire to keep them secure (I figure cable ties would probably melt from exhaust heat.

Anyone found any other useful p[laces on the 950 to hide stuff?

**I made up two robust caps from Delrin (hard plastic) off cuts as I had already had one can empty itself into the toolbox after the original cap collapsed, these can be seen as the 2 white round things at forefront of picture.
  2. Ignore Amos

Ignore Amos bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer:
    I think I've got some closed cell foam out in the garage- I'll to give it a shot- grat idea, thanks!
  3. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!
  4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Nice job mate :thumb
  5. KonradKTM

KonradKTM Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer:
    Great! I did not know it was so much space there - must be almost an inch or? how did you carve out wholes for the tools – only a knife or?
  6. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the first couple of prototypes I used a very sharp hobby knife. This foam is sort of layered and you could just cut through about 5mm and peel a layer out.

For the version you see I used a butane powered soldering iron with a nylon rope cutting tip (a wedge shape) and simply melted the shape in with lots of patience.

For those that are not metricated 1" = 25.4mm, so there is about 4/5 of an inch space to play with...it does taper slightly with the front being a tad thicker than the rear area, but the foam is 20mm and fits (quite snug at the rear, seat takes a bit of a push to latch down)
  7. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    You... are a gotdamn genius. This is one of the best tips I've seen here. :thumb
  8. oldishnovice

oldishnovice Getting older..not wiser

Oddometer:
    What they all said, I've not been that impressed with ingenuity in craftmanship for eons.
  9. Dirttime

Dirttime A.B.A.S.

Oddometer:
    Brilliant. I say give yourself a raise. :thumbup
  10. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I might take the rest of the day off too!

So has anyone else found any spaces they haven't figured out how to use? Lookin for my next project...

Ever wondered how funny it is that we put expensive lighter mufflers and other things on our bikes to save weight, then add 50lb's of spares....
  11. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    I had no idea there was any space there ... awesome! I already did the front/rear tube thing in the farings ... this should round out the tool situation nicely!

:thumb

great post!!
  12. KonradKTM

KonradKTM Yes! Let's go!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Autostream!
    this will keep me bussy during some of the long dark and cold winter days up in the north.
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    :superProfessor Lamb(a)da is a genius! I seen it in the flesh! :D

and now for the telescoping handlebar extensions to aid picking the beast up.

I haven't just gone an' fucked up the patent app have I?

:bueller
  14. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounded like a good idea at the time...but...Would need straight bars and complicated bar ends unless you wanted to run around unprotected (but in today's world we all need to use protection).

Still working on an idea though as I think this has merit...these beasts are too damm hard to pick up, especially after the 3rd drop in less than a mile in the sand ... (so I am told) ...maybe I can make space for a midget weightlifter (politically incorrect??) that can help pick it up, but then I would need to pack a ladder too as he would be too short for the 950...life is just so damm complicated...

Maybe a small version of one of those airbag jacks they use for 4wd's running off the exhaust, would at least get it part way up as I think the first 30 degrees or so is the hardest to lift....now there's an idea.....tick tick tick tick....

or an eye bolt on the end of the bars, an aluminum stake to drive into the ground and a small cable winch...just hoist it back up....or just get some ATV tires and put training wheels on the damm thing...
  15. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Brilliant ingenuity there, great job!
  16. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want me to find a place for it so you can mount one on your 950 Speedzter? ...we know how bad your back is ;-)

I was thinking a little adapter kit to utlise a dry sack may work....
  18. Speedzter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry , I am thinking seriously of this :eek1
    don't know how well the bike would run on its side though, might need a token
    air compressor (BMW ) around to help out :D
  19. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about your GS's but my KatieM does not run for long on her side...I would really only need this when I don't have the 'support crew' riding or driving with me and without an exhaust I am buggered if I am going to try and blow one up...been smokin far too long for that...

But here's and idea for the 'panel'...

How about a small strut of some sort, say 18" long with a foot on it (could be collapsible aluminium so small and light.

A pulley at the top and strong cord with a wide strapping loop at each end.

Hook one loop under the lower bar and put your foot onto the other loop, put all your weight onto your foot in the loop and wait for the bike to lift up to you (well that's the plan ayway) IMHO it is the first part of the lift that is hardest, particularly if it is sitting in a sand rut and diffcult to get a purchase on (I helped Braap lift his out of this predicament on more than one occassion last weekend...at least that is how I recall it)
  20. Speedzter

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention the telescoping rod idea.
    I had the same idea, except fitting it vertically , attatching it to my Ventura rack, or maybe beside the headsteam. A bit like a telescoping antenna, just to gain some leverage.