South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    Juanito, mira lo que te espera!!!

That road is amazing. :clap:clap
  3. calimusjohn

calimusjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JohnD. In 2010, my wife died of lung cancer and I fell and broke my back in 3 places. Life was grim. But I was reading these missives from S.A. featuring the one and only Crashmaster. He inspired me to load down a Honda Trike pulling a trailer and to hit the road. I packed everything - including a sink.

After 20 some thousand miles of looking like a smaller version of the Mayflower Moving Company, I switched to a Weestrom with ONLY 200 pounds of Essential equipment strapped, tied and bungeed atop a great machine. I survived hauling all that junk from Oregon to Coldfoot, Alaska to Cabo, etc. for another 20 thou. Then you came along.

My TW 200 is patiently waiting in Arizona to see if I have been inspired enough to actually take just what I need on a run to the Yucatan. I may even enjoy the freedom of not spending an hour a day loading/unloading. That extra hour is important - especially when you are in your mid-seventies.

(Sorry about all the color changes - hit wrong keys)
    Keep up the teachin'. Even an occasional Old Fart like me can learn somethin new from you young :puke1 riders.
  4. ratbikemike

ratbikemike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John,
    Thanks much my friend. I had wanted to make the old bike nice enough so a guy could get stupid about it. It does have a 77 r100rs with delortos and all that rare stuff like 336 cam, 40mm exhaust etc. I had some idea of it looking like a /5 or /6 but with an all bmw motor with all the good stuff. Thanks again. I'm sure we can make it marketable. There is a picture of it early in my HU report. Meanwhile I will be plotting my next escape. ratbikemike
  5. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi Kary,

I've been following along on your ride over at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885887&page=10

Believe me, I am taking notes. That is an epic ride report you've got going there. Keep up the good work amigo! Hope to see you down the Sherpa trail later this year.

Saludos,
    Juan Sherpa
  6. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Talking about you the other day John I was working in Baltimore with two Colombians from Medellin that they called hotdog and chili . Really great guys and I could see why Columbia would be so nice if most people down there are like them , they were laughing and joking the whole time including while loosing money playing poker that night in the motel room . :rofl
  7. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    JD : I think you have done a great job on shedding some light on what it costs to do the big ride down south, and how to do it cheaper.
    Lighter & less is the way to go. Next time I will do it way more minimal.
    One thing that may be more subtle & less apperant is : what the price is of wanting to go but never doing it....
  8. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    JDowns,

You probably don't remember me from Roll the Bones 3 up in Texas but I was the guy camping on the 950 super enduro-tard. I stopped and talked to you and cleatus (with the guzzi hack) while you guys were waiting on your party to get fuel down the road.

Anyway, I've been quietly following your ride report since before you even got down here and, frankly, I'm impressed with your report, and you as a person, and I count it an honor to have met you.

To put it simply (and to make it sound less like a man crush), you're doing it and you're doing it your way so post what you want. I guarantee most of us will find it more fascinating than 2 actors riding thousands of miles on free bikes with a support truck.

Sent from my HTC using Tourances.
  9. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    For sure.. through this thread John has changed my view on life and I started applying these principles towards changing mine towards the "minimalist" living not just motorcycling, but to be able to enjoy more riding and travel time. It is better to realize where is one's life energy best spent before is too late. It is one thing we can't buy with money.
  10. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi veriest1,

I remember you well from RTB. Good to have met you. You tard you. Glad you are still following along. I think the majority rules. I'll post whatever the hell I want on this ride report from now on.

Saludos,
    Juan Tardo
  11. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Kary,

You doing it more minimal? I might need some of those tools you carry when I get back down there. Somebody's got to be the responsible mule carrying the weight for folks like me.

Travel is priceless. I have to say.

Best,
    Juan Sherpa
  12. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Hawk62cj5,

Colombians know how to have fun, that's for sure. I like to goof around and have fun as well. I think I might be part Colombian. Not sure if mom had a Colombian boyfriend or not.

Best,
    Juan Paisa
  13. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Wise words, Señor Dracula,

Enjoying more riding and travel time is a noble goal. I was fortunate to work for wealthy folks whose vast possessions kept them so busy they never had time to go anywhere. I feel fortunate to have sold everything I owned at an early age and traveled around the world with a daypack for a year. You learn just how little you really need to get by.

Ah yes, but there is a balance. Everyone finds it.

Best,
    Your pal John
  14. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi bob,

Looking forward to your ride report to the maritimes. Should be fun.

Best,
    John
  15. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be a minimalist too if I didn't have so much stuff. :D
  16. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Hey now! I don't always ride like a tard. :D

But there was a gaggle of small bikes getting fuel ahead of me and a stretch of twisty pavement nearby so I *had* to get around them. ;)

Anyway, now that I've defended my questionable one time compulsion, carry on with the report. I've been having serious Mexico envy and I'm not sure when I'll have time to scratch it so living vicariously through you and others is my only real choice.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  17. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:

You might be, they were bribed into the poker game with 5 boxes of pizza :rofl
  18. nvklr

nvklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Still here following along John, don't change a thing. :beer
  19. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    As a minimalist myself, with an '02 Sherpa, who also chooses not to drink and one who recognizes the preciousness of life and that each moment is the adventure I want to say you have enriched my life and inspired me.

I find meaning and value in your encouragement of others and your example of letting go of fixed plans when 'things fall apart'....as they are prone to do, since uncertainty is the only certainty.

You seem like someone I'd love to have as a friend. I am in the beautiful wild mountains of Southern Appalachia, in Asheville and you are welcome any time !

Thanks for being you John.
  20. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

I am so glad you still keep this book "open" ..

.. balance... is something I seemingly was never good at so I may be the exception. When I really liked something couldn't get enough. Now older I am just slowly forced to accept the need for it due to my limitations. 20 some years ago didn't matter it was pouring rain and I was only wearing a pair of jeans and t-shirt riding all day soaked. Now my knees remind me of it every morning. The truth is I will probably never change or find balance because I don't know how to seek it, or am not ready yet to find it. Maybe it will come to me and I'll let you know as if it were not for your writings I'd be allot further from it.

Best,
    Vic
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.