'99 KTM 640Adventure-R rebuild time

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Low594, Mar 22, 2010.

1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    ah the old headlight disable connector! well, you can't go around disconnecting the headlight disable connector... really, um, because, um... what the headlight disable connector? :dunno :D
  2. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my motor from Greyhound! Thanks Sanjoh! Here's to another late night in the garage before going to work!:freaky
  3. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Well, not too late after all, but the motor is in place and torqued down. Resuming after work tomorrow! Thanks go to Panda! and my Dad for the encouragement to get just a bit further! Thanks you two!
  4. Laromonster

Laromonster Lean, mean pacifist machine

Oddometer:
    you work fast :clap
  5. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting months to get closer to a running bike!:evil
  6. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    She lives! :clap Still need carb adjustment and bleed the brakes, but she starts up and runs!

A few other things to do before riding, like finishing the funky fuel line routing, aux power plug and turnsignals.
  7. motorjon68

motorjon68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'm waiting.
  8. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Well, third day out on her today and starting to get the hang of a single, carb tuning is a little more difficult/finicky than a twin or 4! Really getting her dialed in, riding today to the Bay Area meetup @ Sams BBQ was pure joy, not just the ride, but meeting other locals! Im looking forward to dirt time!

I tryed to bleed the brakes, front went fine a little dirty and some water, but all clean! The rear didn't go so well, due to the pin hole in the line!

Just got to figure out what is up with the IMO! MPH is almost double! and the options in the wheel menu dont scroll like in the manual! Good thing I have the GPSr!

The dash lights are another annoyance! The high beam indicator work fine, the neutral & turn indicators I have only seen work while on the center stand, but I have yet to confirm they are consistant. Not huge concerns, I can see the turn signals and most of the bikes I've owned never had turnsignals or neutral lights!

[​IMG]
  9. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Well, last night I opened her back up! And started work, removing the stock coil and finding a suitable location for the upgraded coil that the Ignitech TCIP4 needs! This ignition is programmable and has alot of features I could use at a later date, like shift light and control relays. Once I get the coil in and the wiring redone, then its off to MotoLab to see Derek for DynoTuning! I'm really looking forward to what the bike will be like with the better ignition mapping, dialed in carb and Dyno time!!:clap
  10. Gerst

Gerst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun! Wish I had a dyno tunner close by. Will she be ready for WF?
  11. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    The bike will be ready, its paying rent that is in question!
  12. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    wf?
  13. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    You're welcome to come out to the West Side for a visit and borrow mine!
    He's known here as motolab

Also known as WestFest2010 roughly 900 miles 1 way ride.
  14. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
  15. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's the platform I had welded to the roadbook mount and then attached the RAM mount for a camera/video/etc & mounts for the GPSrs, yes there are 2, 1 for road nav and 1 for trail nav

[​IMG]
    And the tab that was welded on for power using Boschs version of a surface mount BMW style plug.
  16. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Well, the new Ignatech computer is mounted and wired along with the new coil. I rode her down to MotoLab so that Derek could perform his magic. The goals right now is to get the carb dialed in so that the motor does well on the trip, so its not wasting alot of fuel and hopefully adjust the timing so that I can stop having to carry octane booster!
    Thanks for all the help Derek!

Also I got a set of DirtBags frames to keep the saddlebags tied down to and off of the exaust! Thank you GetYourOwn!

And yesterday I got a Wolfman Explorer Lite from blksilverado, which he says is used and gave me a good price on, but it looks brand new! Its just missing the clear map pocket, which I don't normally make use of anyway!
  17. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I just posted this in a new thread, hopefully it can help others!

18. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. nastT

nastT n00b

Oddometer:
    How is that TCIP4 working out for you? I thought it worked with stock coils. I have one on order for my TDM850 because a spare cdi cannot be found for it on this earth and a new one is $750+.
    Thankfully, I was able to crack my stock cdi open and repair it. I would have been a bit pissed if that programmable unit didn't work with my coil when it showed up.
  20. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    It has worked good, but for athis upcoming trip, I'm back to stock. Not enough time and money to do proper dyno work to get the timing curve setup. Haven't been able to figure out tach setup, tho. KTMs tach wont run off the TCIP tach lead or off the coil ground, but havent had the time to really look into it. As for the coil, I needed one cause my stock coil was a different ohm reading and would have burned up the new comp. :eek1