Map s/w on both Mac and PC?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by gspdbill, Nov 23, 2012.

1. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    Haven't found this question asked anywhere yet so...

I have a new Montana 600 on the way in addition to the Topo 24 and the City Navigator maps in DVD. I know the s/w works on either Mac or PC but am curious if I can install everything on both a Mac and PC at the same time. My Mac is my primary system but it's a desktop (MacPro) but I have a PC laptop for activities away from the desk. I would like to be able to connect to the Montana (and use the maps) from both systems.

I think the mapping s/w is linked/keyed to the GPS and not to the Mac/PC so it won't care which system I'm on and I can install the maps on both the Mac and PC but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?

I really don't want to have to choose between one or the other.
  2. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, I have mine on a Mac, a PC and a Windows virtual machine on my Mac.
  3. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    Great. Thanks Rusty.
  4. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    Well apparently not. I installed the City Navigator map first on my (PC) laptop but when I try to install (actually install works fine) and try to unlock the map on the Mac it says the "Product Kay has already been consumed".

I would really rather have it on the Mac if I can only have it on one.

I guess I'll have to call Garmin.
  5. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you using Garmin Basecamp?

Once the maps are installed on the GPS, BC will see them upon start-up. BC can read maps that are installed either on the GPS and/or the computer.

daryl
  6. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks. Yes I am using Basecamp but I haven't actually installed either of the 2 map products (City Nav. & Topo 24) on the Montana yet. The 16GB class 10 microSD cards are supposed to be here today and I was waiting for them to load the maps.
  7. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your off to a good start.

I use the microSD card in my 62s to store my gps projects and maps. This allows me to have BC installed on two desktops and a netbook. I move freely between them as needed, the Backup/Restore function in BC makes it all happen. I have no idea how well it will work between two different computer systems.

Keep in mind, the Montana will only read up to 4GB of map data in a single file. Maps installed on the computer can be transferred to the gps using 'MapInstall'. The result is a single image file that's placed inside the 'Garmin' directory on either the gps or the microSD card. The newer generation units like the 62s and the Montana allow you to rename the resulting 'gmapsupp.img' file to something more descriptive like 'SouthCentralUS.img'. This way you can have multiple *.img files loaded.

When you get the microSD card, you'll need to create two directories, one named 'Garmin' and another inside that named 'GPX'. The 'Garmin' directory is where you can put your maps, (SouthCentralUS.img file) and the 'GPX' directory is where you can drag and drop your *.gpx files. You can use the rest of the card to store manuals, photos, pdf files, anything you want too. Feel free to abuse the Montana as a usb drive.

This Montana Site might help.

daryl
  8. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    Thanks Daryl, yes I have been using Atlas Cached's Wiki site quite a bit (even donated to his cause for all the info he provided) but until I actually play with the Montana it's a little tough for me to grasp. I'm working on it though. It's a little different than the (previous) GPSMap76 and (3) Nuvi's I currently have though.

Worked with Garmin this AM to get access to the CN map on the Mac, about the only thing we did was allow the system to update Basecamp (a popup stated a update was available, I did not get that last night for some reason or I would have updated it then) and then it was able to "see" 5 copies of CN that it did not find before. Garmin suggested leaving the older copies of CN on the system as they are most likely used for the Nuvi's.

However, one question on transferring maps, using MapInstall now to install the latest CN on the Montana. As suggested before I'm installing CN on the Montana itself and will install Topo24 on the microSD card. It's easy to get it to load CN on the Montana internal memory by just removing the microSD card but when I first tried it (w/ SD card still installed) I didn't see a way to designate the map install to go to the Montana internal memory or the microSD card? When I install Topo24 is it going to finish using up the space on the internal memory or will it decide to load it onto the memory card by itself?

The reason I would like to designate the map designation is I would like to create a backup microSD card to keep w/ the Montana in case the primary maps get corrupted. (this was suggested in a previous thread)
  9. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the microSD installed in the Montana, and when MapInstall opens, it searchs for the device. The device window has a drop down arrow next to it, it should show the gps (Montana (Unit ID ####) + SD card). That's where your map will end up. At least that's' where it ends up on my 62s. Without the microSD card installed, the map gets sent to the 62s's internal memory. The map file takes the name of the map set your using.

I hope that all made sense. Now if my 62s will just DIE, so I can get me a Montana.

daryl
  10. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    Yes, it made sense but I would like to clarify.
    I did see (Montana (Unit ID ####) + SD card) with the SD card installed, your saying in this situation the map transfer will automatically default to the SD card? If so, that's great, anytime I want to put anything on the Montana itself I just remove the SD card.

Sorry for the noob questions, I know there are several resources on this but I just cant seem to find the answers I'm looking for.
  11. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no need to remove the SD card.

Think of the Montana like a removable usb drive and the installed SD card as another. Transfer anything you want to either by dragging and dropping files. Any maps you want the Montana to see are stored in the 'Garmin' directory with a *.img file extension. Any files containing waypoints, tracks and routes you want the Montana to see are placed in the 'Garmin/GPX' directory with a *.gpx file extension.

Using Basecamp you can create a new 'List' that contains all the waypoints, tracks and routes for a single trip you might be planning. You might name the list 'RideUtah'. After your done planning in BC, right click on that list and a window will open. Select 'Export', you can export (save) the list contents to a location of your choosing. Place it in the 'Garmin SD (?:) Garmin/GPX' directory on the microSD card in the gps. The file will take the name of the list with a *.gpx file extension (i.e.RideUtah.gpx). The file is a neat grouping of a set of related items. Upon bootup the Montana will load the file.

To help cut clutter, you might create a new folder on the SD card called 'My GPS Rides/Utah' and drag and drop the 'RideUtah.gpx' file there when you no longer wish to see or use it. I created and use a directory called 'My OSM Maps' to store various country maps, *.img files, that I'm not using. I don't need the gps or BC to load a map of Peru if I'm riding in Missouri.

I hope that made sense.

daryl
  12. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    Made sense Daryl, thanks.
    So if I want to put a map in a specific location I just treat the Montana/SD card as a std. USB device(s) and copy/paste the maps/files where I want them.

Thanks again!

One last question from your comment
    If you decided you wanted to access the Peru map is there a way to tell the Montana to access it in your "My OSM Maps" folder directly from the Montana device or would you need access to a PC like device to move that map back into the Montana maps folder? Just curious.
  13. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes!

Using any PC I just drag and drop it into the 'Garmin' directory.

daryl
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    One can certainly do GPX file drag&drop into the Montana's/µSDCard storage. BUT, if you do that you will negate the optimization that BaseCamp will do with your data when it transfers it to the Montana. If you just do drag&drop of GPX files you will also create duplicates in the Waypoint Manager of any Waypoints that you have used in Routes.

I recommend using BaseCamp to do data transfer to the Montana and allow the system to works as designed. Map's on the other hand, once in IMG format, can be copied to the Montana or µSD card without issue as long as you have any necessary unlock codes also copied.

All of these questions and more have been discussed in the Montana thread.

Cheers,
  15. gspdbill

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    At 404 pgs it's like looking for a needle in a haystack though....
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Just a pointer to where we all "hangout"...

You might also read over the Montana Wiki

Cheers,