The Mountains of the East

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Riff, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WVhillbilly New truck looks like this.
    Old truck was a 2wd F250. With good tires it was only sorta scary.
    Main flaw of this truck is the fuel cut off at 87 mph.[/QUOTE]

Some how knowing from your Bikes and reports you would have this much Truck. :lol3 A real Mountaineer's truck not one of those sissy trucks. :clap It is a nice looking ride..... I might know some Mechanic that might be able to -- uhummm -- help adjust the 87 mph barrier :evil ! Merry Christmas WVH.
  2. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    klrmike;Nice RR. I've ridden alot of the same roads thru the years. Now I find myself riding North into Maryland and Pa. :lol3 and further

Great meetings and thanks klrmike. I hear ya, and BTW if you have any pics and stories feel free to put some up. On a side note I have a good friend from Frostburg who was raised in the south migrated north to here. He had and rode r100 beemer for quite a while, sold it and went to a Honda st1100, turned around bought another r100, sold both the beemer and the st1100, and bought a brand new "GoldWing". He only rides north. He'll take off in the morning for a little ride and could wind up calling me from the finger lakes of upstate NY. One of the rides I am looking forward to is the grand canyon of the east coast up northern Pa. Just thought of a funny image of you on your KLR, WVH on His KTM and me on the BMW K12R. That would make a real eclectic cycle image. :lol3 Merry Christmas hope it is a good one!
  3. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a Very Merry Christmas to all on this fantastic site, and a great big expression and thanks to Baldy and all the support staff for their arduous labors of love in making "ADVrider.com" the best site on the internet.
    Can I get a witness?

:clap
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roads were not bad in your area Riff, pretty slippery in mine tho.
    Would love to go on a ride with a few of you guys.
    Right now the KTMs are sitting in the cold garage

Is it spring yet? :cry
  5. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what qualification is now for the Marines. Back then (62-65) we had to do 200 , 300 and 500 yards. All peep site. I started with the M1 then next it was the M14 my last 2 years. I plumb forgot what it was with the pistol. Just been too long ago.
  6. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not sure what branch of the service Andy, but by the cut of his jib he was definitely active duty military. At a hundred yards If he was Army he was probably shooting, if he was Marine :devildog he was just sighting in his rifle. :lol3 Right Mr Chesley, or should I say Colonel? Agreed these days of late it becomes increasingly harder to remember the details of that part of my life. :lol3
  7. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It has never ceased to amaze me that less than thirty minutes, or twenty miles north or west of Cumberland and you have a winter wonderland, and Cumberland usually gets rain. Can March get here any sooner? I don't know, but all I need is a sunny and a balmy mid to upper thirties and I'm on the roads! :rayof :lol3
  8. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap Great thread, glad I found it....! I love the MD panhandled and surrounds and have picked up a few good destination points... Thanks for the picks and posts RIFF (and WVhillbilly's hijacks too:wink:).

Note to Kitesurfer: we met at the Eastern RDV last year, so if you get up in this neck of the woods, be sure to ping me.

Hope to see you other yayhoos out on the road - happy holidays!
  9. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Great thread, glad I found it....! I love the MD panhandled and surrounds and have picked up a few good destination points... Thanks for the picks and posts RIFF (and WVhillbilly's hijacks too:wink:).
    Note to Kitesurfer: we met at the Eastern RDV last year, so if you get up in this neck of the woods, be sure to ping me.
    Hope to see you other yayhoos out on the road - happy holidays!

Thanks EAP! Haven't even scratched the surface yet. Not sure of your travels, but would highly recommend you travel ole Rt 40 to Cumberland. Yeah I apperciate WVH's and other mountaineers inputs. Adds to the thread. Any truth to the rumor you are putting together a early morning ride to the Westminster Church in Baltimore on Jan 19th? :wink: May your New Year and the next year be a great one filled with many great rides.
  10. eap

Oddometer:
    Yep... know it well...I like the Hancock to Little Orleans detour (for a hamburger at Bill's place), as well as Flintstone to Old Town on Town Creek Rd....

:hmmmmm:dunno:confused

Back at ya!
  11. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by Riff [​IMG]
    Any truth to the rumor you are putting together a early morning ride to the Westminster Church in Baltimore on Jan 19th? :wink:
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    :hmmmmm:dunno:confused

I just assumed ( U know how that get's us into trouble every time :lol3) the church where the grave site and the subsequent mysterious Toast every Jan 19th since 1949 of Edgar Allen Poe was of interest to you. My Bad!! :lol3

Have you tried the Roadkill Cafe, Crooked Run Road, Artemas, PA? It is just north of the Green Ridge Forest, and Billmeyer Game Refuge off Rt 40 on the Green Ridge Rd NE. Google map gives the exact rt. A great place, great food, great prices, and just plain down home charm.
  12. eap

Oddometer:
    Will be a destination soon... Thanks! Thanks for the Poe reminder too, I should've known:shog
  13. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey EAP, yes i remember you! it looks like my big 'rally' this year will be new york area--fair haven state park. that will be july 4th week. i'll get a spring trip april 16'th time frame to the ga mountains...nc,sc, tenn...all depends. then sept another trip labor day week va,nc--based out of willville. THAT'S MY PLANS :) ALWAYS ROOM FOR MORE!
  14. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Auld Lang Syne"! Going back over 2010 my trips and pics I found some moments that did not make the "Editor's Cuts". However in reflection they can be and should have added to the "Extended Version Director's Edition". I already went back over this thread and updated some of the older photos, but here comes some other moments from 2010! Enjoy my trips down memory lane. :freaky :lol3 !

I go all the way back to the first of the year when the snow was sill flying, and this particular picture was with one of my strange friends! I say strange because this picture was taken from a hearse transporting a body west bound on 68. Yeah this is good story to! Snow is a part of Life in the Mountains of the East!
    [​IMG]

Mountain, Snow, Barn .......
    [​IMG]

Close up of Da Barn, still snowing! Can you tell I am not as fond of the snow as I once was as a Kid? You see now that I am a Older Child I would rather be riding my Sun Shine Sled on the Slab with the temps at least above 50ish. I have to say it's beauty still has an appeal though.
    [​IMG]

"Cheat Lake" Morgantown, WV
    [​IMG]

Even though I don't like riding the multilaneslabs I'm looking at this and thinking "Kira" might just love this portion of multi lane twisties at slightly higher speeds!...... Naaaaw probably get myself in trouble!
    [​IMG]
    closer to the destination we drop in elevation and increase in temperature, and subsequently snow becomes rain.

Outskirts of town. I let you figure out where I am at!
    [​IMG]

Cloud cover is breaking and gives enough sunlight to get some interesting images.
    [​IMG]

Nope! we are no where near the Mississippi! But ...... ?!
    [​IMG]

Beauty!
    [​IMG]

We are here!
    [​IMG]

Have Ye any clue yet? Maybe this less than stellar picture will help.
    [​IMG]

I could not stop my mind from the thought of how good of a trip this would be with "Kira" and not a hearse. {at least it was a "Cadilac"}
    [​IMG]

Well this picture was taken east bound heading back to ...... Wait for it.... You Guessed it

Cumberland!
    [​IMG]
  15. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "The Memory Lane Tour"! The "TwentyTen" retrospective continues on. I've been kind of busy over the last month and a half, and between work and the weather Me and the Girls {The Fox and Kira} are getting a severe case of "Boy I need it BAD" syndrome! I think I need to help many of you understand why I am so devoted to the "Appalachian Fox" { I think you can easily understand my affection for "Kira"}. Aside from the fact the Fox is obviously beautiful, highly intelligent, and multifaceted. Most stuff she tries she is naturally good at. Example: I love tennis { I ain't no good at it I just said I love to play}. I started teaching it to her and she immediately began hitting a two handed cross court top spin passing shot that I did not like. Thank God she decided she did not like tennis, and no I am down playing golf. Her father taught her how to bowl, and has no problem beating me. She grew up knowing and loving the taste of wild game, because her father [even at the bright old age of 78 is still an avid sportsman] is a good hunter. He taught her how to ......

V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V

[​IMG]

and do it well!
    [​IMG]

The thought of infidelity has never crossed my mind!
    I Love The Fox! I married way over my head.
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    More great pictures. :clap

Is it spring yet?
  17. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey WV great hearing from you. I was thinking about you the other day; Tuesday I believe. I was running west bound on old 40 thinking "I wonder if my ol buddy WVH is back in the woods"? I started out from Cumberland about 2:30 in the afternoon at 39 degrees, and by the time I got to Frostburg it was 33. ... I took rt 36 the back way back to Cumberland, through Mount Savage. I know big sissy. Got back to Cumberland and with the sun going down the temp had quickly plummeted to 33 in Cumberland as well. Yeah Spring can not get here quick enough. I still have some more pics from the various trips last year I am putting together, and I up dated some of the older photos earlier on. BTW did you guess where those pics where from? Some of the road was just north of you, and the others I believe where due west of your crib :lol3. Well heading home, keep watching I got some more coming.
  18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recognize many of the places in your photos, especially the sections of I 68 that I have seen far too many times.
    I have been home since Dec 23, had some vacation to use and the project I'm going to next is not quite ready to start yet.
    I don't mind so much, it's in the low 20s here right now and about 80 in my living room thanks to the wood stove. :evil
    Here are a couple shots from my back yard, the ice was breaking up on the Cheat Saturday. Temp was clear up to 38 then.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread. I've been in WV several times. Rode through last summer on US 50. And, I really want to get back. It shouldn't be too hard living in the Cincinnati area.

Your RR made me get out the maps and pour over all the routes possible to West Virginia. Thanks.

Brent

PS, that's a fine looking Ruger 10/22 one of the most popular 22 caliber rifles made. Looks just like mine (minus the scope).
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few pictures from this morning. Rt 72 north of Rowlesburg.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]