Motoventuring From Alaska to South America - A Collaborative Video Blog!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Becktastic, Jul 18, 2013.

1. LATJ

LATJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is great! Love the vids... :thumb
  2. Padaca14

Padaca14 Someday Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lived all my life inSilverton till career moves put me in Corvallis. Final career move now inNorcal. Sure miss the willamette valley, but not the rain. Sorry for the thread hijack. Just cool to see someone from small hometown on here.
  3. Bear Archer

Bear Archer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely like to do that someday. I bought my first motorcycle (the klr 650) in mid June of this year and am saving/gearing up for a trip to Alaska next year. I live in east Texas so it'll definitely be a long and fun trip.

Looks like I may have to do it alone. I can't seem to find anyone that I know to do a long trip like that.

Have fun, be safe and please keep us updated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Wow, great videography! Very impressive. Thank you for making the effort to record, edit, and then share.

Are you still in in my hometown "Los Anchorage?" :lol3 Are you going down to Seward or Homer? Sorry but yeah, looks like the coming days are gonna be a little damp.

When you get up north up to Glennallen I highly recommend turning right and going the 110mi into Valdez and maybe even McCarthy/Kennicott.

Then once up in Tok http://thompsonseaglesclaw.com/ is a great m/c only campground and Fast Eddie's is a really good restaurant with a salad bar.

Lemme know if you have any questions. I live on here. :D

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  5. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Wow!!!

I haven't talked to you since Overland Expo last year, you were still in the cast as I remember, glad that episode is over, but would suggest some industrial strengthen Aleve just in case.

If your plan is back to AZ before Mexico crossing let us know, Beer & Dinner on me, OK?

Subscriber & following, just stay safe & have a blast doing it , It's great for me to actually know someone that is doing my bucket list ride, so I'll be following w/ interest & admiration for you.

So from the red rocks & rim rocks----straight ahead, don't look back, :clap
  6. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I very likely will. :) Probably last minute haha, our "schedule" is just bouncing around erratically and sending out tent space requests the day of and crossing our fingers...so far it's worked out! :clap

Perhaps! How fast we have to blaze down the West coast area depends on how much time we wander Alaska and Canada...we haven't been making great time so far...but it's too pretty up here to speed through!

Thanks!

Just make sure you give yourself a lot of time. If you only have a month or so I would consider shipping one way or buying a bike up here like we did. We only have 45 days and decided to buy up here and ride back one way instead of sacrificing a lot of time to blaze up and back. I'm happy for the decision (even though it's meant some work on making our bikes adventure ready) since this place is so big and so pretty with so much to see. Traveling alone isn't so bad, there's a great freedom in it and there are a lot of other riders around to chat with if you get lonely. :freaky

Haha you're writing our itinerary! The videos are a bit behind real life. We just got back from being rained on in Homer and we're in Glenallen using the free wifi at the Caribou Café right now, about to ride to McCarthy/Kennicott! We're going to skip Valdez, I know it's a shame, but we had to do another maintenance day and deal with some DMV bullsh*t so we had to cut something out. :cry

No plans to head back to AZ again sadly. Gonna ride down to San Diego and swap riding buddies for my roommate Andrea (you met her too right?) and then head down the Baja, ferry over and ride Copper Canyon, then head South for Day of the Dead in Oaxaca (a long time dream of mine)...after that it's rollin' slow wherever the wind takes us. :D

And heeeerrreee's Episode 5!

7. IRIDE56

IRIDE56 Mike

Oddometer:
    Cool count me in, Slow down and I may see you in Mexico in November
    Mike
  8. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Where in Mexico will you be come November? We're planning to be all the way in Oaxaca by Nov 1st, but we're slowing way down afterward and might be in the Yucatan a while.

And here's Episode 6!

9. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR :clap:clap:clap

Let us know when you are getting closer to Guatemala, our guest room will be there for you.

Ride safe !
  10. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really good! Will definitely keep up on this one! :clap
  11. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OH sure, leave us hanging. See how you are. :rofl
  12. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the hell out of this, great luck and ride on! :thumb
  13. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thank you!

Thanks!

Sorry! I wasn't originally, but it was getting to be a long video and I didn't want to leave out any of the fun I was having in Willow!

Thanks! We've had decent luck so far, some equipment failures, headaches with the electronics and weather, but my tools came back to me and we had incredible luck in Hyder (can't wait to make that video!) so it all balances out. :1drink

We're just South of Prince George now, heading to Vancouver via the Sea to Sky over the next 2 days. :evil

14. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Episode 8 goes across the Glenn Hwy and down the Richardson to McCarthy and Kennicott. We hike to the Kennecott Glacier (yes those two are meant to be spelled differently! A typo from long ago that stuck!) then ride to Tok, Chicken and finally to the Top of the World!

15. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    so very very well done !
  16. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:

Road this portion of your trip two years ago on my way to Dust 2 Dawson -- thanks for the memories!! Ride safe!
  17. huguesfrederic

huguesfrederic HF

Oddometer:
    :clap Great stories... Can I digress and ask you or should I say rotarygirder a quick question about what headlamp and windscreen is on is beast?

Thanks
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi Becky,

Even though I am deaf and can't hear you speak but good thing YouTube has a wonderful feature that will translate your voice into subtitle so I understood you. I thought about doing Vlog of my trip like you are doing now and your Vlog gave me some idea. I imagine it can be a bit time consuming but it is probably a good thing to keep up with it to manage memory size?? It will be interesting to see how you can stay on it once you get down to Latin America where finding a good internet to upload can be challenging for most part.

I'm definitely in for your ride and riding along with you from here. :thumb :lurk
  19. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Hope you had good weather for it too!

It's a Trailtech headlight! http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/195/29290/ITEM/Trail-Tech-Torch-Halogen-Headlight.aspx with the windscreen off of a KTM 640 adventure I think, with a KTM fender too. Makes it look edgier than the stock DR right?

Does it do a good job translating? The vlogging is time consuming, but if you have a decent amount of time it can be nice that it makes you take a down day to upload and sort your stuff while it's still fresh as opposed to returning home with 8000 photos and 70 hours of video to slog through. I hope I can keep up on it heading South. I'm going to wire my top box to charge my laptop as I ride so power won't be as big an issue, though I've heard good internet can be hard to find. I will probably have to do fewer episodes further apart, or make them as I go but then upload a bunch when I get a good internet connection. We'll see!

Oh and I have a My Passport external hard drive to store photos and video on so they don't bog my computer too badly. :1drink

20. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    Well done, and thanks for the time and effort you're putting in to making such succinct and enjoyable installments! Looking forward to more.

:lurk