Trip through Turkey, Iran, Stans, Russia, Mongolia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by eustachius, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very inspiring and beautiful. Thanks for your efforts! I can't wait to get a motorcycle soon and start my little adventures. Look forward to the pictures everyday.
  2. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap Fantastic Photos and Story. Thanks so much for sharing your trip. The only way many of us will ever get to see this part of the country. :clap:clap:clap
  3. zandesiro

zandesiro In rust we trust....

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk
  4. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great RR with this stunning pics really enjoying it, and a good inspiration for the choice of my route planning
  5. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Another one joining up.

Kinda like the soft bags deployment on the bike. Must have looked familiar to most horse riders on the route.

Whenever you feel like a few words on the Transalp would be appreciated. It looks already weathered in through previous expeditions?
  6. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Great RR and pics :super
  7. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride and pics:clap

Were there many warnings about land mines?
  8. bhuwan

bhuwan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    absolutely stunning - waiting for the next treat :1drink
  9. betitou

betitou Thumperized!

Oddometer:
    I have to say that the level of the pictures is increasing a fucking lot!
    Awesome!

:clap
  10. blackcaps

blackcaps Do it alone

Oddometer:

That looks like a very lonely trip you were doing.

I see also a lot of long empty roads. No traffic at all. Beautifull scenery indeed. But so lonely. Does that make fun driving in this way?

And after a long loneley day you put up your tent hidden from the rest of the world. How do you feel being alone in your tent? Don't you miss some company? Is this what you dreamed of of being on a big trip?

Oh... you are in for the beer...

Well seriously: what is it to be a lonely rider?
  11. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Such amazing scenery and people. It's shocking when you see the picture of the upside down tank in the river and the land mine sign. Thanks for putting this together.
  12. eustachius

eustachius Adventurer

Oddometer:

I will do so later on, if this is ok?
  13. eustachius

eustachius Adventurer

Oddometer:

There were, but not many. You see one and you know it's no good idea to go for a hike there.
  14. Ruis_Rider

Ruis_Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report so far! Keep it coming!

-R
  15. eustachius

eustachius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blackcaps, I think you know better than me what it is like to be a lonely rider. Isn't that your motto - do it alone?
    And then, I was looking forward to meeting two friends in Barnaul. Unfortunately, one of them had decided to come in a Mitsubishi Pinnin, which was great of course because he was offering to transport all our stuff, but at the same time it slowed down our progress.
    By the way, what about the photos - yes or no? Only the best, I promise.
  16. blackcaps

blackcaps Do it alone

Oddometer:
    Well I know what I feel and think but wanted to know and hear from you.
  17. iowarider123

iowarider123 Wanderluster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome ride report and pics! Amazing places.. so beautiful and untammed.
    You look very familiar, was wondering if you were the gentleman I talked to with his wife and daughter back in August 2008 near Vejer de la Frontera, Spain at a restaurant. I was with my wife. I know its a far shot but I figured I would ask. Thanks again for the excellent pics and notes.:clap
  18. eustachius

eustachius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We spent two nights in Bishkek, had a couple of beers there and some decent food and my first icecream on this trip.
    Leaving Kyrgyzstan was absolutely troublefree. There were lots of cars and trucks waiting, but people waved us on and we were in front. Nobody seemed to be upset. Here again, customs officials were efficient.
    At the Kazakh border same impression, but they wanted to search our luggage. They were simply curious to see our gear.
    We were on excellent roads all the way to Almaty and on to the lake north of the town. We wanted to go along the lake north of Almaty and into the National Park, but were not allowed to enter without special permission. So we camped at the lake.

[​IMG][/IMG]

First stop in Kazakhstan. Adrian insisted on paying

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Swiss bikers in underwear, it was getting hot again. We couldn't get to the water, too bad.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

On the second day, going north to Taldyqorghan and on to Lepsi.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

It was a hot and bumpy ride. We stopped in Lepsi to buy food and drinks for another camp and who do we meet? Jan from Prag on his F800 GS, who had come much the same way I had. But he had also been across the Afghan border. So we were four to camp at the river.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

If you look carefully, you can see the Swiss bikers' 'espresso machine'. Some bikers' needs are bigger than others'.

[​IMG][/IMG]

It was getting hotter every day.

[​IMG][/IMG]

And sandy.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We took a break with those railroad workers. Nobody wanted to move. It was tough going and distances in KZ are huge.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Barren land for many miles. It's gravel, sand, dried mud, shrubs, but you feel so much safer when you are not alone.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

After a long day riding in the sun and dust, camp at a brook. The water was perfect for a bath.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

We spent one night in Semey (Semipalatinsk) and on Friday 24th we entered Russia at the border post south of Rubtsovsk.
    We were very positively surprised by Kazakh people. The roads are perfect in the south but badly deteriorated in the north. It's incredible that even the main roads are in such a bad state. It's potholes, broken asphalt, gravel, burst truck tires. At times we couldn't go much faster than 30 -50 kms/h for long stretches of straight road.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

First stop in Russia, right after the border.
    Leaving Kazakhstan was easy. We bought insurance for Russia for 15 days. This was long enough for the transit to Barnaul and on to Mongolia.
    The Russians were very helpful with filling in the immigration forms and we didn't have the impression that they made us wait longer than necessary. While we were waiting, we were chatting or trying to chat with army people and customs officials. Rather relaxed.
    And then we had our first drink in Russia. Nastarowje, or something like that. Please feel free to correct me. My Russian was so minimal and now it's almost completely gone. I think this is the single, most useful investment for a trip in those countries - study some Russian. It serves in all countries, from Turkmenistan on till Ukraine. Of course you can do it without, like me, but it makes a big difference, we all know that.
    I have to add something here. I was so glad I had my Garmin and OSM.
  19. eustachius

eustachius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, could you please ask easier questions, like for example, which tires I was travelling with?
  20. eustachius

eustachius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am glad that you like my report. Well, that was certainly not me. In August 2008 I spent a holiday in Alsace and Franche Comté with my wife and daughters.
    A beautiful region of France.