Buying oil on the road?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RichieBoone, Apr 18, 2013.

1. RichieBoone

RichieBoone TheBooneMan

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to start a crazy oil thread, but I am on the road and I need to change oil.
    I have a filter but I need some oil.
    In the past I used BMW oil, then I switched to buying oil from beemerboneyard.
    I have a 2012 GSA and I need to know which oil I can buy from a Wally World or an auto parts store. I know nothing about oil so I am trying to get a recommendation to a brand that will be safe to use. Thanks.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You can use any high quality 10W40 oil you wish. Dino or synthetic is fine. Just do not use high detergent oils for older motors.

Jim :brow
  3. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

+1...

Contrary to popular opinion. You bike will not self destruct if you mix oils. I like the Mobile 1 15-50. But I cant always find it. So I use what ever else Wally or Autozone has that looks good. I even dumped in some cheap 10w30 from a convience store once in an emergency.

The bike was just fine.
  4. sandbagger

sandbagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While doing a 4-corner tour last summer, i couldn't find any 15-50 mobil 1 in new mexico, i stopped at a Car Quest and found some 20-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil, cost me 12.50/qt and i change it on the side of their garage with my own oil fliter, they let me use their drain pan...gave the attendent a $20 tip for some beers...made their day!
  5. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles since the last change? 6K miles or so, don't worry about it. If you have synth in it, even better. I would start thinking about it at 7 or 8 K miles especially when on a trip with highway miles.
    I agree with any oil.
    What happened to 20W50? Did someone change the engine while it was in my garage this last 4 years?
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    20W50 is getting hard to find. If using synth then up to 10K miles you are still good.

Jim :brow
  7. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin showed very well in those MOA oil tests. It seems to be available at most stores around here in IL.
  8. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine that an oil change couldn't wait until you get back home.
  9. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not trying to start a fracas and the article of which you speak was an OK piece of journalism, but there was nothing in it or just about any other one out there that makes one oil significantly better than another. That is as long as they are in the ball park with the manufacturer's spec. As long as you are running a bike with a dry clutch, and separate transmission and crank oil, you can mix and match without a problem. The tea kettle should require a bit of care before adding oil.
  10. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I go 10K between with Mobil 1 from Wally World, I also use either the Purolator or Mobil 1 filter, my oil analysis says I could probably go another 5K.

Kind of an aside, I was contemplating going to a KN cleanable filter but was cautioned against it by both my dealer (they would have made more money) but I have heard from others that since it is washable, allows greater flow, that the mesh is larger and allows more dirt through. I really don't want feelings, but facts, has anyone done something like an oil analysis to support this (greater amounts for PM and PM10)?
  11. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    .....their syn is very reasonably priced.
  12. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found that at walmart before.
  13. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thing that's really important is that you have enough oil in the engine.
  14. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    You might consider any of the brand name HDEOs in 15w-40 viscosity. They are available everywhere, at truck stops, autoparts, Wal-mart and are very reasonably priced. As for the filter, OE, Mobil or Purolator are considered the best.

No Frams.
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Check with BITOG regarding oil filter particle size and particle size distribution.
  16. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I have been using 20W50 GTX since the early 70's. I found then I could find it at some Safeway stores.
    since my aging beast past 120,000 miles I started using the "high Mileage" version just because I could and it was there on the shelf at the Pep Boys.
    I'll have to look at what they have this next time. It has been a couple of months since I was last in.
    I stopped using BMW oil,(Spectrol, or some such we used to buy by the 55 gal drum back in the 70's at the shop.) when they change the cap size. The new version no longer mates to my filler neck.
    I've also run my bike 10,000 miles between oil changes but only twice. Hasn't seemed to be an issue, but maybe in the next 100,000 miles I'll see something.

A friend's grand dad once said there are two enemies of machinery; Dirt and Stupidity. Keep 'em clean and don't be stupid and you got a good chance of running the thing well beyond the point of familiar and favored tool.

17. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Why would you mess with success?
  18. sarelp

sarelp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my new GSA I switched to Castrol 15w40 HDEO for Diesel engines at the 600 mile oil change. Same as Shell Rotella T. It's available at all the truck stops. I have done over 2000 miles since , including a saddle sore 1000 and I have zero oil
    consumption.
  19. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True...it looked like what they measured was ok in all the samples. But, a couple stood out from the rest with a high mark in all areas. And a couple stood out with lower marks in some areas...even though we know the engine probably won't know the difference. Choosing the best one allows me to focus on something else...the ride maybe :)
  20. Lime

Lime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They carry this at my local Wal-Mart. It is what I use. O'Rieley (sp?) Auto Parts had it on sale last time I was there.