Specific to Women

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by VelvtRide, Sep 9, 2007.

1. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input, TrvlGrl :thumb
  2. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
  3. Lucky_Devil

Lucky_Devil Master Lurker

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to thank to all of the ladies who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experiences here for the benefit of others. VERY helpful thread for extended-moto-travel newbies :clap
  4. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    Bump for the new ladies. :D
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Do the wimmins not read this forum?
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The only problem I see, if it should even be referred to in that way, is that they may need an invite to participate. I see several - not sure what the definition of many is - who post in many threads, and their posts are respected as much as any others are. Maybe those wimmin don't feel a need for a special carpet or leash for them to enjoy this site.
  7. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    Yup! :D
  8. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hello Women...

Just want to say hi :wink: - have been reading this thread with great interest as I´m about to - 3½ weeks to go - leave for my three months trip to Australia.
    My first bigger adv.ride - and always great to read about some female experiences - both concering the packing hints - and the thing about riding alone.

Cheers GSDane / Dorthe.
  9. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do not know how this will work for the opposite sex but it sure works for me. I take 2 pair of bicycle shorts with a chamois crotch for riding the bike. They absorb all the moisture and keep me from getting monkey butt.
    I wash them daily and wear the other pair just in case it takes more than 8 hours to dry. I also take under armor sock liners and long sleeve shirts. wash them out daily and they dry over night, really keeps the amt of clothing down, packs light and you still stay clean. good luck as you travel Mexico, hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Kieth in Tulsa:norton

p.s. if you need any route information just ask. :freaky
  10. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :thumb
  11. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd put this back on the front page for new inmates. :D
  12. itsnvr2late

itsnvr2late Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there's a women riders thread?
  13. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    Yeah. :D
  14. the Luz

the Luz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried WOW? I bet you could get some takers. The lady from Connecticut that bought my GS Adventure would ride with you. I bet there's others.
  15. mamadopoulos

mamadopoulos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the great input...so glad I asked!:rilla
  16. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    Hello ladies,

Just a brief medical perspective on postponing menstruation for those of you that choose to do so: be really sure of being able to hang on to your pills (pause for image of your side case or tankbag going missing for one reason or another). The withdrawal bleeds if you lose the pills can be impressive and quick, and I would imagine being in the middle of nowhere with the period from hell and a finite number of pads/tampons would be about as unpleasant as you could get.

Us mens also know that shaving on the road is a pain in the ass, especially if camping (and we don't have to shave nearly the amount of skin that you ladies do). However, it's worth pointing out that if you try to do it under less than ideal conditions, infection is a real possibility, especially in the tropical parts of the world. Save it for your hotel nights and spare yourself a trip to the local doc for antibiotics.

Reading up on local brand names of medicines or products you might need is a good idea, as spellings and sometimes generic names differ from country to country. I have no idea if Monistat is called that in Kuala Lumpur or Guatemala, but I can imagine a scenario when you might need to know like right now, dammit, and looking for the one local lady with 2 words of english and pointing to your private parts while pantomiming your misery should be avoided.

Stay safe out there :beer
  17. AdvRydr

AdvRydr De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer:
    I have started bringing AZO Standard with me on trips, because I find that, occasionally, I get bladder irritation after a few days of extended riding. Maybe it's just me, I don't know... I think it's the continuous low-level vibration that does it. AZO relieves the terribly uncomfortable symptoms that you get (and if you get them, you'll know the misery of which I speak) so you can continue to enjoy your day.

One caveat (and it's a big one); if the irritation is caused by a bladder or urinary tract infection, the AZO only relieves the smptoms, and will not stop the infection. If the irritation/pain persists well after the days' riding is done, get thee to a doctor, because the infection has to be treated with antibiotics.
  18. KayLR

KayLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the bladder infection--got one this past summer on an extended trip and thought it was just me and then my brother and his wife did a cross country on his harley and she ended up in the emergency room with a severe case of it---talk about a buzz killer on a trip-she had it bad-throwing up and the pain....I have to wonder is staying really hydrated would help feign it off??? We have done a few extended tips without problems except for the one time . We usually keep a few bottles of water on board to stay hydrated..some more input on this would be helpful..
  19. VelvtRide

Oddometer:
    My .02

I've been on 2(so far) extended rides and have not had a bladder infection. When I was a kid, I was prone to them, and yeast infections, all the time due to consuming so much sugar and/or swimming in public pools.

When I on the road, I am very aware of keeping that area clean and drinking 2x as much water as usual... after each bathroom use, I use Monistat Feminine Wipes. I also use them after swimming and taking a bath when I'm in a hotel.

I'll also wear panty liners and change them out after every bathroom use. And I think using a sweat inhibitor, ie: Gold Bond or Cornstarch, to keep dry would also help.
  20. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    Good .02 VelvtRide :thumb