MG Stelvio Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by 03x2, Feb 11, 2011.

1. 03x2

03x2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a Stelvio and replaced the exhaust what exhaust did you use
    and did you have to re-map the ecu?
  2. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    As stock exhausts go, the one accompanying the Stelvio is pretty darn sweet. Nevertheless, decided to swap out the heavy cat-equipped stock can and first tried "Brand X". Saved a few lbs but the tone didn't impress. Put the stock can back on. Returned Brand X. OK, maybe I'll try again. This time decided to go with the brand just down the street from MG in Mandello.... Mistral. Very pleased. Mistral knows how to sing the Guzzi song. Feel no need to pursue a chip upgrade or tinker with the FI, though possibly with some $$$ I could probably have a slightly better tuned bike. But I'm fine with the responsiveness of the stock fueling, the bike has adapted to the Mistral just fine, I've saved serious lbs with the CF can, and I enjoy hearing the music. Oh btw, the Mistral comes with an easily removable baffle. The vid below is with the baffle removed.

EDIT: Removed the old WMV video link. Here's the YouTube version...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U6jV56woIGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The appearance (Have a larger Givi screen, the side cases are off (but can see the Mistral))...
    [​IMG]
  3. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn it sfarson, that vid is beautiful. Captures exactly the mood I'd hoped that bike would produce. :D
  4. BravoBravo

BravoBravo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just put a Mistral on my Stelvio this winter and I am itching for spring so I can listen to the new music! :D

Bruce
  5. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    That sounds fantastic. I've been contemplating the Mistral pipe for just the weight savings, but man, it sounds fantastic.

Now, I'm definitely going to put one on.
  6. DirtisGood

DirtisGood Rhino Adventures

Oddometer:
  7. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    I have the same pipe as sfarson. Huge weight savings, sounds sweet. I left the baffle in, so no reflash of the ECU and it runs fine.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I've had Mistral cans on both my previous Guzzis, a twin carbon setup on the V11 Sport Rosso Mandello and a stainless Mistral on the 1200 Sport.

None better for the Guzzi marque, IMO....and if my NTX gets one it will be Mistral.

@DirtisGood: what is the heated grip switch setup on the '12 NTX? Does it still require you to stop & be in neutral to make settings changes?
  9. Chuck in Indiana

Chuck in Indiana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DirtisGood --

What does your '12 NTX weigh with a full tank of fuel, all accessories mounted and the rear cases empty? My estimation from info that's available is that it's about 685# (311 kg).

I'm looking to move from my '09 Wee to a '12 Stelvio NTX and, at my age (79 this August), I'm starting to be concerned that it's more weight than I can easily handle. At that weight, it's a little more than 100# heavier than my Wee, which I can still handle.

Thanks.
  10. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Hey, I updated the old WMV video link above to the YouTube version, and if half-hearted interest in other Stelvio vids where with varying degrees of success the Mandello Music is captured...

http://www.youtube.com/user/rmridervideo/videos?query=stelvio

The first recording, Echo Lake, I gratefully do not attach some lame kind of song. :lol3

Blake, Major congrats on the bundle the stork will be delivering soon!
  11. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Steve...I'm looking forward to this one very, very much. My previous all-time favorite road tripper was the R1150GS Adv, and this should be a great update on the theme.

I'm having a set of Heidenau K60's mounted straightaway so I can explore some unpaved areas I've not seen yet.

I'll check out those videos when I get home tonight, that's quite a collection.
  12. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    To the OP, have a look over at the Guzzi Tech site.....I had one of Eagan's (a friend of his fabricates them) "GT-RX" cans on mine and boy was it ever so sweet.

Here's the link,

http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/190/2233.html

Photo from the thread found above

[​IMG]
  13. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with the Quill EVO2? It sounds amazing in this YouTube vid.... :eek1

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H-1Mv6du2LU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

-SM
  14. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    I've seen Quill on other bikes, the quality was very good and the sound too, if a bit on the loud side compared to some.

Aside from the Mistral pieces, which are available in quite a few choices for the Stelvio - there's another pipe made in Mandello.

Agostini makes beautiful ones as well (no relation to Giacomo, another former racer with the same name)

http://www.guzzitalia.com/
    http://www.agostinimandello.com/ind...ntx&catid=34:concessionaria&Itemid=57&lang=it

[​IMG]
  15. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how loud it is with the baffle inserted. I'm assuming the vid had the baffle removed. What I like is the tone....deepest I've heard. :thumb

-SM
  16. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blake,
    My thoughts exactly with the K60s. Is the dealer charging you more for the tire change?
  17. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Yes, but I'm keeping the oem tires to put on when the K60's wear out. I have a couple of rides coming up right after getting the bike that good offroad tires will be required for if it rains. Not getting the K60's will guarantee rain. :nod