75 Year old to Hyder, Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jckid, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jckid

jckid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No kidding. Well he can retire any time, so now it just may happen a little sooner. :D He mainly works, because he likes to have something to do. I'm more independent and would do things on my own if retired, but he is likely to sit idle if he retires. So I guess I need to retire too, so I can plan adventures and keep him entertained. It's just very disappointing to realize that after so many years, he is not rewarded for being such a loyal employee. There are people at my work that have only been there less than 5 years that take 6 week vacations.
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would retire when it's the worst time for them and when asked by anyone further up the ladder if there is someone...explain why. The world is full of pricks!
  3. petebcca

petebcca Petebcca

Oddometer:
    Hi!

Im 55 also, so thought I'd reply. I think this is a great trip. In 2010 i took my first long motorcycle trip on a 1997 BMWf650 and went from Vancouver over to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, then up to the North end of Vancouver Island to Port Hardy. In Port Hardy i caught a ferry north to Prince Rupert. This was a full day ferry ride and the price was about $250 for bike and rider, but well worth it. I called this trip the poor man's Alaska cruise. The scenery was fantastic.After overnighting in Prince Rupert I then caught another ferry to Haida Gwaii, previously know as Queen Charlotte Islands. This was my goal and I had a fantastic 5 days there riding gravel. I then returned to Prince Rupert anb headed south east to Vancouver on Highway 16. However, when i got to the junction of highway 37 north (Deese Lake / Stewart Cassiar Highway), i thought why not go to Alaska. I believe it is about 260 kms from Kitwanga Junction. On this highway i saw more bears that carsl let alone people. But the bears are fine and are not known to chase after bikes. This was certainly a highlight of this trip. Quite enjoyed my overnight in Hyder. Several wonderful glaciers. I highly recommend you take this trip. It was fantastic. I went in early August when you have the best chance for great weather. I would think that a trip to Hyder from Oregon could easily and comfortably be done in 8 to 10 days. Good luck and have fun. Pete
  4. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    I've planned almost that same trip a couple times, from Oregon, and know the challenge: time is the limiter.
    A couple thoughts: first, consider riding up, enjoying whatever itinerary you come with as best, then ship your bikes back with Alaska marine lines (etc), and airline yourself home. Cost isn't as bad as you might think, especially when you consider that riding down isn't free either, depending on how you travel. I shipped my bike back from Juneau last year to seattle for around $220. Just the practicality of being to enjoy the riding while not being away too long from work made it the best choice for me. They have pallets for bikes at the shipping places, and it worked slick. Some pre-planning required, but no big deal.

2nd, regarding route, I would suggest that missing the ride all the way up deadhorse is no great loss. I'm biased, having lived in Alaska for some years, so i don't feel the need to check that box (to see deadhorse and environs again), but the good riding is indeed mainly more south, and certainly including the area around Hyder, as others have pointed out.