Heated grip Fix - Step by Step

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by leadingedge, Mar 7, 2012.

1. leadingedge

leadingedge Trailing along...

Oddometer:
    I recently had a left heated grip failure, but I managed to open up the "sealed" grip and get to the element to fix it myself.

This repair will work on all of the following new generation grips, because the current part numbers for the replacement BMW heated grips are the same on all of the following bikes:

R1200GS (2005-Current); R1200R (2007-Current); R1200ST (2005-2007); R1200S; K1200S (2005-2008); K1200R (2005-2008); K1200R Sport.

F800S; F800ST (2007-Current); F650GS (2001-2004); F800GS (2009-Current); F650GS (2009-Current).

This is what to do: (For the LEFT grip)

1. Remove the handlebar weight. (If you have hand protectors, then remove them also)
    2. Open the multifunction switch cover by removing the 2 small screws on the back.
    3. Disconnect both plugs from inside the multifunction switch and then move them out of the way so you are then able to remove the 2 small screws that attaches the plastic attachment of the grip to the inside of the multifunction switch.
    4. Remove the multifunction switch.
    5. Remove the screw/s that attaches the grip to the handlebar, and then just slide the grip off.
    6. You now need to get to the root of the problem inside the grip. Normally it is one of the 2 wires that break off where they are attached to the element inside the sealed grip.
    7. Before going any further, I would suggest testing the wiring in the grip with a multimeter to see if electricity can flow from one pin, through the element inside, and out the other pin. If not, then proceed as follows.
    8. Use a sharp carpet razor blade to VERY carefully & slowly separate the rubber from the plastic all the way around the grip. The rubber is only molded onto the plastic for a short distance (only along the edge), so be slow and carefully cut a small bit at a time while you try to roll the rubber back onto itself to expose the element.
    9. NOTE - Some guys blow high pressure compressed air inbetween the rubber and plastic to blow the whole thing up like a balloon and thus force the rubber off the plastic, but this will basically stretch and ruin the whole rubber part of the grip. You DON'T have to do it this way, just carefully cut it open a little bit, and then you can simply roll it back to expose the element.
    10. Your problem is very likely now exposed, and is probably the wire soldering that broke where it attaches to the element. You can see in my photo below that my black/yellow wire has come loose.
    11. Simply solder the wire carefully back onto the element where it broke off, and you're all set!
    12. Roll the rubber back, and re-install everything, making sure that the markings on the handlebars, the clamps, the plastic guides etc. all line up nicely before tightening everything again. Don't over-torque!
    13. You've just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks.
    14. (Note - For the RIGHT grip, you will also have to remove the throttle cable & cover)
    [​IMG]
    Jimkav, JxA0, GS Addict and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information and write up. I haven’t had a problem with my grips but you never know. :wink:
  3. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    No probs, hopefully you never have problems with it.

It seems that a lot of guys have them fail on them, and always end up being told that you have to replace the grip because it is a sealed unit...

Actually a pretty easy fix, but don't tell BMW! :evil
  4. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Excellent DIY, thanks for posting!
  5. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Thank you very much for your DIY post, very helpful and appreciated! :clap :D
  6. mcmarcia

mcmarcia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome, I vote this goes to the hall of wisdom. :deal These grips eventually all break and it looks so easy to fix. I bet a small exacto knife might work good cutting around the grip end? :clap
  7. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks! The RH grip on my '05 stopped heating a few weeks back. I think I will be following your tracks very soon.

I am worried that I F'd something up when I dug into the RH harness to tap into the turn-signal-cancel wire for my Autoswitch. The heated grip worked for months after my surgery, so I thought I was ok.
  8. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it will do the trick just fine, as long as you do it slowly & carefully.
  9. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it is nothing that you did wrong, just a bad design and flimsy heating element solder join that BMW punched out.

Keep us posted with pics of your own, and your result when you're done!
  10. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    My left grip died this morning. Still under warantee, but if it wasn't, or when it isn't I'll be doing this. Thanks for posting it.
  11. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    No Problem!

See if they let you keep the old one, and fix it up for a spare in the future.
  12. vhugoabreu

vhugoabreu n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have a 2008 gsa 1200 and I did is as you commended. It was the left grip and one of the wires was not proper soldered. Now everything is ok.

Thx for the tips :D
  13. motorcy

motorcy motorcy

Oddometer:
    hey, do you know if it's the same for a 2002 1150 ?
  14. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the older R12GS's used nichrome wire for the heating element under the grip and it's not easily soldered. I don't know when they went to the flexible printed circuit elements but the 05 grips I disassembled had wire.
  15. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    As far as I am aware, the boxer grips were only changed in 2005 to the current type of grip, so your 2002 will have the old ones.
  16. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    Considering the repair you did, do you think that you could have otherwise replaced the grip(s) w/o damaging the heater element(s)?

I ask because my grips are showing wear, but the heaters are working fine. I tried Grip Puppies but those were too fat for my dainty digits. :wink:

Thanks.
  17. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    I've seen guys use the tube rubber replacement grips from cricket or baseball bats on the grips. Try get some from your local sports store and just roll it onto your grips. Should work fine.
  18. erkmania

Oddometer:
    ^^^

Do you mean over the existing grips or as replacement grips?
  19. leadingedge

Oddometer:
    Right over the existing grips. The rubber cricket bat replacement grips that I've seen guys use is very thin, so you just roll it right over your existing grips.

Something like what the guy in this video uses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6L9UhSvZYI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This guys' technique will also work great for getting the rubber on the grips. Check out the video.
  20. erkmania

Oddometer:
    ^^^

I see know. Thanks.:thumb