Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Falgaroth

Falgaroth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well in my part of the woods .. every other car is a diesel car so the question is a bit weird for me.. :p

I'd say of cause you'd put diesel in a VW.. anything else wouldn't make sense unless it was a GTI of cause ;)
  3. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Doesn't she squirm around alot?
  4. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Mercedes GL. It is rated at 25, but I'm consistently pulling 27-28mpg.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  5. Jordansdad

Jordansdad Jordansdad

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I'm getting gas and the guy with the clapped out truck at the next pump asked me what size my Te630 was. I told him and he then went on to tell me he had one of every new model Husky has ever made sitting in his garage. Said he figured he'd spent close to 3 million dollars.
    Didn't bother to dispute it, but that was a pretty good whopper, especially since he apparently owned my bike but didn't know what size it was.
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    "Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it's a waste of your time and annoying to the pig." You did well!
  7. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my high school teachers had that quote framed and hung above the door to his room. :lol3
  8. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    This one from today, but not my bike....or trike.

The in-laws broke down on their way to our house on their annual trip. They've had a HD trike for about 4 years, and put over 60k miles on it. However, they blew an engine today. I picked them up, hauled the trike to a HD dealer, and unloaded it.

Tech: "Where is the parking brake?"

Me: "You were there when I told you the year, right?"

Tech: "Yeah, 2002. But where is the parking brake?"

Me: "Not all trikes have parking brakes"

Tech: "All Harley trikes do."

Me: "When did Harley start making trikes?"

Tech: "2009."

Me: "Right, and this is a 2002 Electra-glide that was triked aftermarket."

Tech: "It is still a Harley trike, so it has to have a parking brake."

Me: "Well let me know when you find it. I'm going inside to chat with the service manager."

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  9. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or 1932.....Tech schools need to include a history class or two.

:rofl
  10. FloorPoor

FloorPoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago I was airing up my tires before heading out for a few days at a local truck stop. I was in one of the truck fueling lanes (the air is free there, would you expect anything else from a KLR rider?:lol3) A truck driver wearing a pirate costume minus chaps comes up and asks "what size, what year, bla bla bla, the usual stuff, the conversation was a bit random and hard to follow, but I answered politely.
    Then he goes on to tell me how no one could ever ride a bike like that very many miles in a day, the footpegs and seating position are all wrong for long rides. WTF? did he not see the bike with loaded soft panniers and a small top bag, ready to travel some distance? He said I needed to get a Dyna Glide like his if I wanted to travel in comfort.

What really got me thinking wtf :huh was when he said that my bike was just like a sporster, with only a 100 mile fuel range. Not at all good for traveling.

I kindly explained that I was going to ride 300 miles today, on mostly dirt roads, and I was not going to stop for gas, and I never could have done that on the Harley I used to have. I told him to drive safely and pulled away, wondering how many screws a guy could have loose and still get a CDL.
  11. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont remember if I posted it, but I had a very similar conversation with a guy about my F650. He spent probably 15 minutes "explaining" why the 1200GSA or the 990Adv were really the smallest bikes you would want to use for offroad travel. The 650 is apparently just "too light and powerless" to be able to go anywhere. Oh and further proof is how popular they are with poor college students. :huh
    Reduxalicious likes this.
  12. Pottz

Pottz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to pay for air over there???!!!!
  13. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    Yeah. 50cents or more in some places. There are some states (Oregon at least) that have a law in place that forces service stations to have free air on hand for motorists that buy fuel there. But then again Oregon also doesn't let you pump your own gas. Unless you have a motorcycle then the attendant can hand you the nozzle. Yup you can't even get the nozzle off the pump yourself by the law there.
  14. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Twice this happened over a weeklong trip through the UP of Michigan last week. Once while at a gas station taking a break and another while putting my gear on after eating at a restaurant. Both times guys would come up and ask me the size of my GSW. After telling them, they really had no interest in making discussion. They just creeped around my bike checking it out. I'd try to conversate with them but they clearly had no interest in me, only the bike. Its awkward when I'm standing their with MY bike and I'm clearly in their way as they are trying to check it out. I mean, I like checking out bikes as much as anyone, but if the owner is there I will at least make conversation. These two guys just wanted to be left alone. I just kind of stood there as they oogled the bike for about 10 minutes. Then they just walked away without even saying anything. Weird.
  15. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    They went over it in the late model program, even told us to watch out for the aftermarket conversions. Fool must have been one of the slackers. Early model class hits up evo back to knuckle/flathead beginnings.
  16. Pottz

Pottz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing...although I admit in the far outback here the pumps are locked in cages and the attendant comes out and unlocks for you - this was due to a petrol sniffing problem from the locals...they have since changed the additives in the fuel to alleviate the issue...and on the Nullabor you had to hand over your driver's licence before they would turn on the pump...no cops out there to stop drive offs!!!! But never had to pay for air!!!
  17. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "A few weeks ago I was airing up my tires before heading out for a few days at a local truck stop."

And why on earth would you want to spend a few days at a local truck stop?

Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't help it.....
  18. ColdWater

ColdWater Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well played Mr Buckey!:1drink
  19. FloorPoor

FloorPoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touche, re reading what I posted, it does sound a little:ymca
  20. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This afternoon, guy at a stoplight: is that one of those new inflatable jackets?
    Me: :huh Umm, no, it's armored.
    Him: But it looks puffy.
    Me: Oh, well I'm fat too *then off I go*