With all this talk about filtering and lane splitting in the US...what would it take?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Like this one?

[​IMG]

She may not be the sharpest pencil in the drawer, butt she duz have a purdie mouf! :rofl
  2. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ is that our little native darla?
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO. Darla is not that chunky. :deal

Is that BobbySands on the back of the Yellow bike?
  4. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    No, Bobby's a bit thinner....

/gimme a window seat..
  5. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    It would take a major shift in national road culture. Impetus for that change might be $10/liter for fuel. Serious insurance problems/premiums for poor road usage. Some percieved reward for 'doing it right' regardless of how 'right' that might actually be. The change might occur swiftly due to serious needs. Our it might take 20+yrs due to the necessary time for society to morph into a new perspective. I have always suspected that it would take a variety of needs with 2 or 3 being the most obvious. No matter how bad any metro gridlock becomes the 'haves' will want it to go their way. And the hoi polloi will have to fight for whatever makes sense to them. Cheap transportation with good flow is not on any politicians/authorities radar unless they get a piece of the pie. Not exactly CS&M. But that seems to be what it will boil down to before we can expect the Enlightenment&Rapture of filtering and the like here in the States.

The cagers really changed for the better when fuel costs rose to $5+/gal in chicagoland a few years ago. I would never have predicted that if I wasn't here to see it for myself. The police revenue sharing plan took a nose dive as speeding tickets disappeared and they had to cite lesser infractions more frequently and erroneously to make up the shortfall. Bikers got a lot more attention which was a downside that really interfered with the joy of less traffic idiocy. At the time, I was actually looking forward to see what would happen if fuel hit $6 or $7 per gallon. Not that I would really like to live at that price without some significant societal 'rewards for being on the bike'.

Still, I do believe that we bikers should whine for filtering et al at every opp to keep it on the front burner of the pols. We do get a little grease for our wheel now and then. Recently, ILL got 'left on red' when the induction loop didn't trigger the signal. This is good for the surrounding 'burbs even though it is still not allowed in chicago limits. We always had this 'malfunctioning light' plea in court where we couldn't prove anything and got hosed if we tried it. The difference now is that the local gendarmes are less likely to write the cite. ymmv
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Long lines of v-twins try to prevent "filtering" while potato-ing along in legal passing zones. If motorcyclists refuse to cooperate with motorcyclists, I don't have much hope for people in automobiles who know we're wrong for choosing to ride motorcycles.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

What's with that? Had it happen to me once, knew the road, was doing 100 mph two-up, caught them at a perfect legal passing zone and the last pirate swung out to block my pass, to avoid hitting him I had to go up the center a few rows before I could get back out to make a proper pass. Still have no idea what his deal was?
  9. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    What will it take?

Gas prices at European levels, putting more people on two wheels, then realizing there are great HUGE gaps of pavement they could be using.
  10. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-smith-lane-split-20130119,0,3665468.story

11. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The reason that Europeans in general stay to the left in 1 and the right in 2 is that this opens up a free "lane" for emergency vehicles. This is the law in most European countries.

It works fantastically. And it makes a lot of nice room for motorbikes, too. Conveniently, the bikes can slide into slots between cars when necessary to open up the required space for police, ambulances, etc.
  12. E double D

E double D are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Hypothetical question what if the motorcycle community got together and bought a bunch of billboards along busy congested highways and put on it something in the way of "Watch out for bikes filtering in traffic" and put a picture of just that? How many cagers and even cop would just figure that someone just made it legal and would not care any longer if we started doing it.
  13. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

sign ordinances & regulations and cost of paying for ads on existing billboards make that impractical
  14. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's actually not a bad idea. I think the ordinances and regulations might be a bigger hurdle than raising the money.

I am not sure who regulates them city? county? state? May not even be addressed, since no one has ever tried it, and there are a lot of people that will argue that in states like TX, where the issue (lane-splitting) is not addressed it is neither legal nor illegal, so how can they say no to putting it on a billboard?:confused
  15. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think it'll ever be a good idea in the US. Too many rednecks and people who don't "get it". They'll always be "pissed off" that someone is getting in front of them and that's where the trouble starts.
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    People are the same all over the world.
  17. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    But as a whole, drivers in the U.S. are lacking in attention and ability.

A majority of them feel they are "better than average" drivers, which is statistically impossible.

It should take more than the ability to fog a mirror to obtain a driver's license. Until training and licensing requirements get more stringent -- and they won't -- lane splitting will remain a very risky exercise.
  18. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    +1

I think its going to take a MC being seen as basic transportation instead of a weekend toy to get things moving along.

As it is, the weekend warrior-type thinking would get in our way. Remind me to tell y'all the story of the Hardley bobber riding guy one day.

'Course, it may be a catch-22 situation: no one shares lanes because commuting where its not legal is a PITA so not many ride a MC as transportation repeat the spiral. Sitting there sucking exhaust fumes in traffic? Sucks eggs. :nod BTDT

S'why I share lanes when I can regardless of where I am.

M
  19. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    As bad as the driving around the DC area is, I'm amazed that traffic moves at all, much less how few accidents there really are.

Cluelessness actually works FOR us instead of the reverse. IOW its easier to share lanes if people don't know we're coming 'cause they don't do anything stupid. We're there and gone before it registers that there's a MC around. :nod

Having said that, its up to YOU (the MC rider) to be aware of the danger and ride as defensively as riding assertively will allow. After a little bit, you get to where you see signs of impending movement and back off (or get thru the danger area faster!).

M
  20. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Even though lane splitting has been tolerated here in Kalifornistan, it hasn't been widely excepted or promoted. (I've been in traffic school on several occasions where the dick head instructor said it was illegal. :scratch :flip )
    Butt now the pig gubment 'n CHP have finally figured out that it's better fer everybody on the road, 'n safer, so they're promoting it. :clap http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
    Besides be'in shitty drivers, Americans are selfish pigs who don't see the greater good, of people splitting and getting off the roads making more room for others. Hopefully this'll help?
    Whyz it gotta be 'bout rednecks? Sum us rednecks are open minded, 'n encourage lane split'in. :ricky