Ditching Garmin for android or iphone as GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by twowheelpilot, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    No gps.
  2. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem is that there is no way to give it a trial run to see if it is any better then the free OSMand that is it coded from.
  3. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    not correct, the cellular models of the Ipad mini do have GPS built in and it can be added to the wifi model via a plugin unit or bluetooth...many pilots use Ipads (including the mini) for navigation
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    And the WiFi models can use the Garmin GLO.
  5. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:

You're right there... at the same time I hate having to sort thru 20 half ass products and for the sake of simplicity would much rather have 1 reliable, great product. The best solution I can see are free limited time usages with full capabilities. Way back when Adobe InDesign was only $450 someone suggested it to me as the best product for doing what I needed done. I thought there is no way that I would ever pay $450 for software but I did get the free 30 day trial, thought I could finish my project in that time which I did, but at the end of 30 days found it was worth $450.

Fakename I agree... when the KTM690 enduro first came out I TRIED riding it across North and Central America but the fuel injection went out about a dozen times and I was towed/pushed etc to 9 different dealers. Most didn't have the software to work on the 690's injection system or even read the codes. They said it cost thousands of dollars and they hadn't needed it yet. Why couldn't we be able to monitor that kind of stuff on our own bikes thru a smart phone?
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:

For road: Sygic navigator, iGo, TomTom, Garmin navigation + another appr. 50 applications. Yes, not free but not expensive at all
    For offroad: almost endless choice, same maps but of course offroad GPS is kinda really tough piece of hardware unlike Galaxy etc.
    For Russia and Ukraine etc. dedicated GPS maps are useless for example. You have to use local ex-military maps and there are things like OZI explorer maps for that..free app is Androzic etc. etc.

I wonder why people always try Google maps first...I only use this on my phone for walking or when everything else fails for some reason. If you treat phone as actually GPS that can use almost any software whole picture changes.
  7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not the case for Samsung Amoled display. Big screen that not at all different than same GPS software screen.
    Can't comment on iPhones thou. Yes, I do not like iPhone :)
    Interface of Garmin on Android is same with interface of Garmin on Garmin.
    Saying that - direct sunlight on Garmin 350 is no problem unlike Galaxy.
  8. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the display brightness and water proofing being the two biggest factors. The newish Sony Xperia P (android based) with its super bright screen (brightest of all smart phones) should take care of the brightness factor. Now we just need a way to waterproof them without causing them to overheat at full brightness. The dualsportmaps app for android is beyond awesome.
  9. ADWrider

ADWrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems a dedicated GPS unit is preferred here, but can anyone suggest good Iphone apps for GPS functionality when out of cell tower range?
  10. rdougan

rdougan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my dream. Why it does not exist yet, I do not know. I know it isn't water proof, but there are ways around that. But the size of the device is perfect for this kind of thing.
  11. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a good suggestion, a free trial run. I think you should post that request to the DSM support thread. But I would bet you the $20 that if you were to spend some time watching the intro and other vids on youtube and reading the thread a bit for feedback and exploring/using the free website, you would not need a trial run to know whether you wanted to invest the $20 or not.

As far as being any better than "the free OSMand that is is coded from," wouldn't it have to be, by the simple fact that it is so much more than just that? My favorite feature is being able to press a few buttons and change map views to any one of over a dozen different map views. I typically use the Osmand, GMaps Sat, MS Earth, G Maps Terrain, and the USGS Topo the most. And I'm looking forward to getting my local OHV parks on Overlays. Please note that only the "Vector OSM maps" don't require one to cache the tiles (download from website) before heading into the field. And the more content others share, such as geo-referenced rasters (MVUMs etc.) and tracks/routes/Waypoints/POIs, etc. the more we will all benefit, for no extra charge.

BTW, I would easily support an annual fee, DSM is that good. And again, I am referring to DS use (primarily offroad) only.
  12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because it's built into so many android phones, and its free, and people are used to it on their computers. That would be my guess.

Don't disagree that there are other apps for navigation, I've tried some of them. Found them to be of as limited worth as Google Maps. I have not tried the Tomtom app, but since the app costs almost as much as a new Tomtom on sale, not going to be trying it.

Maybe I'll feel differently with the Harley out of long pavement trips, but when I'm crashing around on dirt roads or trails and the like, I can barely see anything anyhow, let alone a little GPS screen. And, I rather like having a waterproof(ish) unit with mechanical buttons, not a touch screen that ignores my gloves or cold fingers.
  13. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize you could get the 3G one without a contract. :cry
  14. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    What android app can I buy/download that is equal to having a a standalone gps, where I don't have to cache the maps I want, but it just comes with say, all the maps of the U.S.?
  15. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like CoPilot.
    I use that and OSMand.
  16. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    OSMand has been evolving over time with a lot of nice features. It has gotten easier to use and the rendering engine can be set to produce maps that are higher contrast. As far as I know, DSM is a branch of an old version of OSMand.
    And if that is so, the new version uses maps that are in a different format. It appears the old format OSM maps are no longer updated. So DSM may not get updated OSM maps.
    Unless I missed something.
  17. janliness

janliness Battery Discharger

Oddometer:
    I use MotionX GPS. Easy to download maps for offline use. Easy to follow tracks, easy to make tracks. Email GPX files both ways.

PM me if you want to see some tracks I've done. I import maps from dualsportmaps.com all the time :clap

I don't really watch my GPS/Phone while riding, but pull over and take a break. I have the feeling I'd do the same with a dedicated unit...

later,
    jan
  18. gplutt

gplutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rainy Seattle day, after about two hours.
    [​IMG]

Inside.

[​IMG]

The screen fogged a bit, and even if I took my gloves off the touch screen didn't work very well through the plastic. It stayed dry, though. I usually just keep my phone in my pocket and listen to the turn by turn, anyways. Couldn't go wrong for 15 dollars on Amazon.
  19. ADWrider

ADWrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this iPhone MotionX GPS app (not the "...drive" version?) will accept the same GPX track files that can be loaded into a Garmin? If so that's pretty cool. Do you know it the app allows non-cellular GPS tracking? If all this is true it could save me a few bucks on a real Garmin, at least for now. Jan I'd love to see some of your tracks.
  20. DigDig

DigDig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the Motion X accepts GPX, you email your route to them, and it comes back in an email to you that you can open on your phone in Motion X. It's easier then it sounds. Yes it has very good non Cellular tracking that I use a lot. It's great if you have an iPhone already and are too cheap to buy a GPS. " drive" is their turn by turn directions app, together a great combination for few $$. Been using them both for years with my biologic waterproof case. ( http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/bike-mount-iphone-4 )