Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. baybueller

baybueller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode down Lippincott 2 years ago on a lightly modded klr 650 and had my hands full. I consider myself a decent offroader and would not want to do it on anything bigger/ more expensive:wink:
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Rich (M1),

Please take me off your Saturday ride. As much as I would love to ride, I am stuck in a cage. Although I will get to :freaky with Pablo some. :lol3
  3. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've contacted a few riders that are signed up on my rides to make sure they understand what they are getting into.

The problem with Lippencott is that once you start it, you pretty much have to finish it, as there really isn't a place to turn around. Lots of rocks and a steep grades.
  4. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do, Bob. Get well bud and see you at the rally.
  5. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    No I don't do I. :evil

I'll take a load of fire wood if there is a place to park the truck. I was riding in but can change to driving in with wood...

...either way let me know.

:freaky

6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    This is NOT the ride if you are a green rider on a larger bike. Once you start the loop down you cannot turn around it is a one way trip. This is an intermediate skill level ride on that portion.

You really need to understand that before taking on this road I was down it in November at it was in really bad shape much worse than last year.

Just sharing
  7. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

For all of the folks who have ridden Lippencott, IF, you have ridden Coyote Canyon in Anza, how does the rock section compare?
    If you have not ridden it, will you Youtube and compare. Just the rock section of Coyote as the rest is
    very easy but fun.

Thanks,

Heirhead
    Worlds worst mechanic
  8. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    The entire length of it is rocks all of it.
  9. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year I rode up Lippencott to the racetrack with my DR350 and had no issues. My friend rode his KLR up Lippencott with no issues either. Like all riding take your time and look ahead for a line through the rocks.

Then again I better bring a camera, noob rides are the best for carnage :eek1.

SP
  10. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oooooh, I'm sport'n tremendous wood now!!! :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    I just hate it when someone I don't know tells me where I should or shouldn't ride on the bike I'm on, or assumes because they wouldn't ride a certain model bike somewhere that nobody should.

But With that said, sharing experience and looking out for others is good too, I've lucky to have been to DV many times this year, rode most of the big loops and usual rides quite a few times in various capacities; solo, small groups, and with riders with varying experience levels.

Saline valley rd, lipencott pass and even the wash leading to Cerro Gordo are all much different than last year, rumor has it a big storm in October did the damage, I wasn't here though for it but either way those roads are different and much more tore up.

Please excuse me, since there's already discussions with similar viewpoints I thought I'd throw mine out too in agreement.

Dirt N00bs on any bike will be challenged on those rides, inexperienced dirt riders on big bikes will be very challenged or a liability to the group, especially with a moderate pace needed to get back to camp before dark.
    While I'm all about promoting folks to pushing their limits, ride what you got where you want kind of thing, IMO in a big group with many miles involved beyond the challenging bits isn't the necessarily the right place to do it for some folks. Those places are far from camp and very difficult for 4 wheeled vehicles to come get someone.

I think people should go concur the various challenges around DV to be rewarded with great views and have the satisfaction, maybe just try to do it in the appropriate group, or smaller groups, or even just closer to camp.
    There's nothing stopping anyone at any skill level from starting up shorter rides with like minded riders, everything doesn't have to be a loop ya know. A ride leader just needs to be a leader and have a plan.

Think Ice Cream Ride, extreme. Lol

Give yourself lots of time, don't make it a monster ride, be prepared to be out late if things go wrong, make sure folks at camp know where you're riding and when you should be back and go get to it.

There is plenty of excellent riding around Panamint valley or even within just 10 or 20 miles from camp with all the rocks, sand, washouts, big elevation changes and great views anyone could want.
    you don't have to go do the Big Stuff that is so common at these ADV rallies so far away from camp to have a good time. You dont have to ride 160+ miles to get out of your comfort zone, see cool stuff, have fun and learn.

There's more challenging ways into Darwin, or to Osborne Cabin, Lookout Mountain will have similar climbs as lippincot with spectacular views, the canyons above Ballarat offer neat stuff, hidden cabins and challanging routes, the escape route is fun, etc etc.
    have fun be safe and go ride!

My $.02, posted from Furnace Creek, coffee done, time to ride! ;)

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App
  12. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a butt load of fire wood in north san diego county if any vols
    wish to make the trip.

i will probby go down the wknd prior to pick up my share for the cause.
    interested parties shoot me a line
  13. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great $.02c Hopefully read & digested by all participants:wink:
  14. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The things I could do with a statement like that...
  15. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    lippencott coments - thanks everyone for you input.

in this event, either you're riding solo or with your own group - nobody is responsible other than yourself. since we're there too, if something happens to you - we care.

ride within your skill level, challenge yourself but act for the common good of the group.

we're just over a month from dvnr day....get the bike ready.

peter, bring the truck then and i will ask ersin to get you a spot to park.

please contact slugdad.

thank you.

thanks bill. PM me with the cost of getting a wood....:D

the lizard ladies at the truck stops have the answers....hahaha
  16. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent post Finn!

As Joel says, everyone must take personal reponsibililty for themselves! However, it's a caring group that will help as much as possible. It's best to not put yourself in position to require help though. Try not to be "that guy" (and I've been "that guy" before). Everyone should ride within the capabilities of both yourself and your bike. No matter what, it's gonna be FUN!!!

BTW Joel, I should be able to bring a bit of firewood along (but it will probably be just some bundles from Lowes).
  17. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    Lost Rider speaks with straight tongue!

There is absolutely zero excuse for anyone, noob or otherwise, to show up at this event unprepared bikewise, skillwise, or with inadequate equipment. It is called Death Valley for crissakes!

If you have doubts about a trail or certain route, go with your gut, that is why you have one.

These should be fun experiences where everyone goes home at the end of the event, not a Search and Rescue exercise...

Expect the best, but prepare for the worst. This includes always a spare 21" tube, and the tools and knowledge to fix it. A tow rope, snack bars, 3 liters of water, matches or a lighter, and a space blanket, and basic First Aid kit.
    These are bare minimums..

If you break down or are incapacitated two hours from camp, it may take a minimum of 5 hours to expect help to return for you. It gets very dark and cold depending on where you may be.

End of sermon! :D

Pointman
  18. nsfw

Oddometer:

jesse, yeah burn those street tires and put on the TKCs.

nice pics.

:clap

larry, hold off on the bundled firewood for now and thanks for your offer.

things are shaping up good. only 3 bailed out since last week. looking good people.

we just need a beautiful weather.......................and people to join me..:cry

http://dvrides.robgadv.com/

:lol3
  19. nsfw

Oddometer:
    more donations....:deal

wazoo is sending us a bunch of goodies. thanks to patrick (pomo) for hooking us up.

http://www.wazoosurvivalgear.com/

nameplate, paracord, whistle and fire starter all in one.

[​IMG]
    one gear i want with me....:thumb

check out their site, lots of useful survival items.
  20. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    I agree with all of these comments. And, when put together, they say everything that I was trying to say.

I will add that, as a ride leader, I would want to be able to help folks get out of any challenging situation that may come up.

Not knowing peoples various skill levels or knowledge of the area, I had only intended to add a word of caution to the folks who hadn't ridden the route, just in case they didn't know.

Fairly recent videos of Lippencott, for anyone who hasn't ridden it before: