Lower Safari Tank guards for the Super Enduro?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ktm950se, Apr 3, 2012.

1. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not sure where we are in this thread but as a reminder please do not use this thread to solicit sales. :deal R&D only here, sales need to go to vendors, please. :D
  2. markie_wales

markie_wales Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All sorted now - helped buying a rachet strap. I also did the zig zag thing so all ready for the annual off road trip :-)

Love them!

cheers

Markie
  3. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are these holding up for everyone?? winner or not so hot??
  4. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    There hanging tough, drug them on the ground a few times and they have not budged. Better them than myTank:clap [​IMG]
  5. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    It looks like you put those to good use:clap
    I also see some texture peeling off, not so great. will work on that one...Thanks
  6. markie_wales

Oddometer:
    1) strength is really good. Been down on rocks a few times, and although not cosmetically pretty still 100% on protection.

2) using RTV sealant was not such a good idea. These tanks "breathe" fumes and one of mine simply fell off while riding. Spent ages looking for it but it's gone for good :( There was no sealant stil on the tank, the vapours had lifted it off & I guess it was all still on the cover. I have now taken my other off, re-RTV'd it, but also put some gaffer tape around the edges (and under the tank, orange cover) to stop the last one going walkies when the vapours release the sealant again.

I'd buy another set (or just the one) if they were cheap, but what with import duties it's just too spendy for my right now.

cheers

Markie
  7. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Great feedback Mark..Ill send you another at no charge for the part. Please PM me for details.
  8. markie_wales

Oddometer:
    Well thank you - that is a very generous offer - PM sent!!

As I said above - can thoroughly recommend the guard for strength, we just need to be a bit more careful on fitting, or check the RTV sealant I think.

see there are people who "get" Customer Service :D
    cheers

Markie
  9. SE Steve

SE Steve Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had the same luck RTV Adhesive brand new tank I sanded the tank to rough up the surface so it would stick better. They stayed on for about 2000 miles 1 feel off in my garage and the other on the road. I was riding with a friend and lucky he saw it fall off. Try #2 I wire wheeled all the RTV off the covers and then tried to refit with 3m molding adhesive looks like it may work better but the covers don't fit the tank very well I don't know at this point how to get them to stay on.

before the RTV adhesive I also tried 3m double sided molding tape. Same thing i used on my swing arm covers and stock tank guards It wouldn't stick to the Safari tank.

Let me know if anyone comes up with a solution.
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Was that standard 3M stuff or their VHB tape? The latter really does have a very high bond, but with gas fumes nothing will be easy.
  11. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    We pulled the molds staright from a safari tank. is it possible that a tank can distort a bit?. All the ones we fit up seamed to fit very well.
    Ill look into other adhesives.
  12. SE Steve

Oddometer:
    They fit well when I first put them on. I think the tank must have expanded or something. Maybe I was to aggressive when I was cleaning the RTV off. :shog I cleaned the clear coat off and they look really cool just need to figure out how keep them on.
  13. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    I didn't see this coming. sorry guys, I made a bad recommendation and will replace missing guards at this point.for a limited time, now is your chance to check them and replace the adhesive with something more suitable, If you lost a guard Pm me..
    . My ADV tank that my guards are on is painted so no issue.

I just got this off the net.
    Permatex<SUP>®</SUP> offers the solvent based Form-A-Gasket<SUP>®</SUP> products or MotoSeal<SUP>®</SUP> #29132 [hyperlink to 29132 product page] that are designed for applications in a gasoline environment.
  14. Riddler890

Riddler890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another product to try is Permatex "the right stuff" found at any auto supply house. Has solved many sealing issues on my cars, valve covers, valley pans etc. It is not as slick as rtv, stays in place really well. Seems to be a better "glue" than silicone. I used it on my set from CMS, although I can't attest to how well it's holding up as the tank has been sold off. I did however use the same "right stuff" on a set of Carbon Works CF guards for a stock SE tank and they are holding up with no issues.
  15. mattc

mattc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riddler, I think I bought your tank with guards. They are still in place, and the goo holding them on looks solid. No signs of them coming off.
  16. SE Steve

Oddometer:

I think the guards are great quality. Just need to figure how to stick them on. I don't know what the tanks are made of but nothing sticks to mine every sticker I have put on has pealed off. :lol3
  17. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I pulled pretty hard on mine the other day (once I saw this thread again).... they are still stuck on nicely.
  18. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Good to hear Traveltoad. I also checked a local riders tank out and no issues. It looked as though it would be tough to pull them off.
    We used an empty tank, and acetone to clean the spot where the guards where to go..Tough stuff was our adhesive. We used enough that it oozed out the sides a bit and had to be cleaned off.
  19. markie_wales

Oddometer:
    Just got to say a big "bloody well done" & thank you to all those at Cyclops Motorsports and Daryl in particular. He's been in constant contact and also managed to source me some petrol resistant sealant I was struggling to get in the UK and it came through recently.

This is a man/company who stands by it's products and clients when things go a bit astray. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the guards or doing with the business with them - they get customer service!

cheers

Markie
  20. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words, Sir:clap