I haven't even begun to ride... (Looking for bike advice)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by SilveradoTX, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I'm new to ADV, happened to stumble across the forum while researching different motorcycles, trips, etc. I didn't see a place to necessarily ask my question, so I went to the best section I found (please move if need be).

I've been looking at a lot of the trip logs, pics, and more pics, and stories, and more pics and have no doubt I could become addicted to this aspect of riding. It's very appealing to me and has me highly interested, however, I don't know where to start. I have ideas for trips, but the bike is my dilemma. I've been trying to research a good bike that I could commute on daily, carry a passenger + a little gear and go on day, weekend and maybe slightly longer trips... pavement and dirt.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome... Thank you in advance.
  2. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum! :lol3

In terms of a bike it is definitely a matter of personal preference. Some immediate angles on the subject that come to mind are:

Seat height
    Bike weight
    Desired or needed (fuel) range
    Ergonomics & "feel"
    Price
    More "streetly" or more "dirtly?"

In terms of dual sports I am partial to the Suzukis. Also, when I first started asking questions here some three years ago I was in exactly the same place. You'll get loads of advice, tons of insight, and perhaps a little superstition mixed in... :patch

Reading your description of the type of riding you want to do my thought is that a big thumper would fit nicely. My signature shows where I am on that topic.

Somewhere I have Word file of "which bike" thoughts. If I can find it I'll post it or PM it to you.

Best,
    Rick
  3. SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Seat height... My current ride is a Buell Blast (27.5" seat height). Just to guess, I'd say I wouldn't go over 30", for safety and comfort reasons.
    Bike weight... I've ridden between mid-300 lbs. to mid-500 lbs. Anything in that range should be fine.
    Desired or needed (fuel) range... Would like to go more than 150 miles (that's my current fuel range).
    Ergonomics & "feel"... I rode my Blast for a total combined 7 hr. trip, almost anything will feel better than that. I'd prefer a standard or relaxed style.
    Price... I'll be buying used (whenever that will be), somewhere between $5,ooo-$10,ooo.
    More "streetly" or more "dirtly?"... Something that will probably see more pavement, but would still be confident to head down dirt and gravel.

Hope that helps a little bit.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The Ride Report forums are for ride reports.

Do a little search, it's been asked and covered many times before.

Moved to Road Warriors.
  5. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Welcome.
    You will become addicted.

If you think you can manage a slightly taller seat, and dont plan an serious offroading, consider Kawasaki Versys.
    [​IMG]

If not, there''s a BMW f650GS (800cc)
    [​IMG]

Or BMW X'COuntry
    [​IMG]
  6. SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My noobiness shows. Thanks, Gadget Boy.

ominvore, thanks for the suggestions. I like the design of the Versys, but at a glance the X'Country catches my eye. It's starting to look like I need to go visit some dealers when my schedule allows it.
  7. 2wheelsrbest

2wheelsrbest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't spend too much time finding the "ultimate" bike. You could spend a year researching and finding a bike, then change your mind a year later. Pick something that seems to check most of your boxes and go ride it. IF you want something else or your riding changes or...OR...OR...

You can't go too wrong, since all bikes are great (for something).
  8. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since the ante has been upped with pictures ... :brow

I'll offer a shameless plug for the DR650.

Northern New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Colorado -- outside of Steamboat Springs
    [​IMG]

Ashton Idaho -- just before heading up to Yellowstone and then back east and south

[​IMG]

DR's just naturally look best when dirty... :lol3
  9. Bald Kirk

Bald Kirk Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer:
    Strap some gear on your Buell, fill up a backpack and ride.

Next?
  10. SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I let go of trying to find the "ultimate" bike a while back, that's why I'd like to have three bikes to cover the areas I like (if I ever have enough to do that). Right now is finding what fits my needs the best and what I'll get the most use out of. And that's why my Blast fits right now, cost effective commuter and can carry the occasional passenger when needed, and it's fun to just head out solo. Looking toward the future, though, is where I'll eventually need something that can offer more.
  11. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Suzuki DRZ400, pretty much THE perfect first bike, right size, right power, right weight, can be dropped, will take you anywhere, plenty of fun, cheap, will grow with the rider etc etc.

If you have no off road aspirations at all the Versys would be my pick as well but otherwise the DRZ400 all the way.
  12. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You better start sitting on a lot of bikes but don't buy anything until you get your MC permit out of the way.
    Buy used.
    Keep it under $3500 & you'll not loose your ass when you sell it in 6 mth for more what you'll be learning what you really want.

Keep the bike simple & read different forms which host one bike over the others. KLRWORLD, THUMPER TALK, there's others.

Something over 500cc & under 800cc.

A big single makes enough power for most & is simple to work on.

You have a lot to learn & buying a bike is only part of the fun.
  13. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley Sportsters are in your price range, low maintenance and backed by an extensive dealer network. Seat height will work, fuel range will work if you avoid the peanut tank, dirt roads will be a stretch though you may have read the thread about the "off road" Road King currently mashing the miles in South America.

I like my Bonneville, also in the price range. Triumph's Scrambler will work fine on dirt roads though the seat height is too high for me and luggage is limited by the high exhaust pipes. I ride the Bonneville on dirt roads where it is okay. I like the versatility of the Bonneville all round (and I prefer the looks to those of the Harley).

A modern inexpensive Japanese bike could be the V-Strom 650 by Suzuki, entirely reliable and extremely popular. Or the Kawasaki KLR 650 though it has a seat dizzyingly high off the ground.

On the whole I like the advice about riding your Blast as much and as often as you can. The best advice to people who want to tour is: "Do you like to commute when the weather is crappy?" "Do you turn to your car at the least sign of adversity?" "Does a hard ride in difficult conditions excite you?" Answer yes and then spend the money on more motorcycle.
  14. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The title to your post is - "I haven't even begun to ride" and further on you say that you own a Buell Blast.
  15. SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha. Actually, I've done that. Within the first month or so I set out on a trip over 600 miles. Farthest I had gone prior was a total of 30 miles round trip.

Got my motorcycle license last year; dad, brother and I split the cost of the bike three ways this year. Gaining experience for now.

I had been stuck on the Harley only thing for a while, still like them, but over the past few months I began thinking about what my needs would be and what I'd be doing with the bike and what I need the bike to do and began searching other manufacturers, and that opened a ginormous door of possibilities.
  16. SilveradoTX

SilveradoTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    conchscooter, I have looked very heavily at the Sportster lineup, specifically the Nightster. But I've also spent a deal of time looking at Triumph's as well.
    "Do you like to commute when the weather is crappy?" "Do you turn to your car at the least sign of adversity?" "Does a hard ride in difficult conditions excite you?" Yes. And if I had the proper gear I'd answer all yes. Had a ride the other night that was fun... 50 degree air temp., riding 70 mph with a 25 mph wind + gusts to contend with. I have ridden in 40 degree weather with just the clothes I was wearing and my jacket, helmet and gloves. That was bordering too cold.

lfmn, my apologies, I was taking a cue from quotes form John Paul Jones and Franklin D. Roosevelt. I have been riding for about four months, but the serious riding has yet to begin... at least in my mind.
  17. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    welcome and enjoy buying your next bike. don't sweat it too much, you will outgrow it fairly quickly. there is no perfect bike so find one that is close enough but still cheap (3-5k) so you won't lose your shorts when you really figure out what you want in 2-3 years, then buy it and go for it. buying a new machine is at least half the fun for many of us.

lots of bikes fit the criteria from nighthawks (really underrated first bike) stroms, even sporty bikes like ex500's and then there are the big off roady bikes like dr650's, xr650's even the ancient klx650's and their ilk. read and learn and enjoy this part of the process too.

spend your cash on good gear. Helmet, pants, gloves, boots, etc... If you buy well, that stuff has longer usage than most first bikes.
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    buy used, buy cheap. Take a MSF safety course - the beginner's course before you buy, then when you get about 1000 miles of experience, take the experienced riders course.

Be very cautious about taking a passenger. Make sure you are ready. Taking someone else's life in your hands is a big responsibility.

Once you have ridden for 6 months to a year, sell the cheap used bike for what you gave for it and then buy the nice bike...
  19. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    .......do take the MSF BRC through your local community college or wherever as mentioned above. You'll find the instruction invaluable particularly if you luck out w/some good coaches. Seek, learn, seek, learn.

Motorcycle Consumer News i've found to be a great place to find minimally biased, solid, concise info on products, improving rider skills and what have you not to mention the innumerable threads here.:deal
  20. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Honda Transalps and African Twins are pretty brilliant bikes for what you want to do too.