E15 to E85 coming to a pump near you!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by coach03860, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Link to article explaining it: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/11/new-e15-gasoline-may-damage-vehicles-and-cause-consumer-confusion/

Thanks for the laugh, haven't heard 'nancy boy' for a while.

1911fan
  2. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Of course it is, but then again sliced bread is highly overrated. If E-15 frightens you so much, don't use it. Personally I wouldn't worry about using it in any auto designed for E-10.
  4. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Forget who said that, but it applies here.

1911fan
  5. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    So from there, "it's just 5%" up to e20, then 25, 30, 35, etc.

Ethanol has been shown countless times to cause issues.
    Yes, if you design your engine to deal with the crap, you can make it so it doesn't catastrophically fail.
    By the same token, you can design an engine to run on pretty much any fuel, check out the military multi fuel vehicles. You can run pretty much anything, BUT ethanol in those boys.

If I can find it, I run gas without ethanol. The more it's forced down our throat, the harder it gets to find it.
    I've also bought e-0 from places, not gotten the results I expected, went back to test it and either found it had ethanol, or they'd taken the sign down saying it was ethanol free. (Telling me the gas I got wasn't ethanol free).
  6. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is similar to my 2011 Jetta TDI, per the manufacturer I can run up to 5% bio diesel, any more than that and they will not honor the warranty. Ironically the govt is trying to up the mandatory bio diesel percentage to more than 5%.....
  7. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Do you have the slightest clue why increasing the ethanol content on non-flexfuel vehicles would cause an issue? Specifically the ones highlighted.
  8. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    What's a vehicle?

:rofl
  9. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bingo!

This is exactly what I said!
  10. stevie99

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry to pop your bubble .. I've not heard of very many folks in favor of using ethanol in gasoline. pretty safe to say a very, very small minority of folks are in favor of supporting forced ethanol in our fuel distribution systems.

if your definition of a successful industry is one that take massive tax $$$$ to prop up. combined with the forced blend into our fuel distribution system....

don't get me wrong HUGE humongous multinational oil companies are not our friend either. making MASSIVE profits while still taking tax credits to pay for what they do anyways.

now fuel retailers are figuring ways to charge extra for gasoline without ethanol...
    don't know about anyone else, but I'll go way out of my way to pump fuel without ethanol into my R80G/S (plastic floats) .. and pay about 20cents per gal extra to boot
  12. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Let the market dictate. I can get E0 here, but only Monday through Friday.
  13. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is delusional enough to think that massive tax credits, govt subsidies, and forced distribution and consumption equals a successful industry. It fits his agenda.... :deal
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Another word for Moto Guzzi. :lol3
  15. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    if success = massive profits .. than yes folks tied directly to ethanol production are indeed making massive profits $$$.

but to equate forced consumption with approval from the masses .. that's not happening. this falls along the line of American consumers that drives to get to work.. has NO choice but to pay what ever is charged at the pump.

one thing is for sure .. politicians and folks profiting from ethanol don't give a flying fuck what consumers think.
  16. stevie99

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A glorious day today in sw Minnesota, riding my bike back to Texas and enjoying the countryside. Just look at these fields harvesting sunlight and putting renewable energy in your tanks and and grid as well as food on your table. This is as it should be.
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That shit is not fit for consumption through tank or belly. :deal
    They plant that shit and it kills the bees.
  18. stevie99

Oddometer:
    Actually it's spraying certain insecticides that cause bee problems. GMO crops require fewer insecticide applications. Fewer often meaning none.
  19. IKIGAI

IKIGAI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bullshit.

The GM crops -- let's look at GM Bt maize and GM Bt cotton here -- are genetically modified to be pesticide (which includes all herbicides) resistant; to be correct, and I'll use one industry brand name here, they are GM Roundup Ready crops.

The crops themselves are not any more resistant to insect or competitive weed infestations, and were in fact designed primarily to be insecticide saturation resistant.
    These GM crops were designed to be used in conjunction WITH pesticide use, and that use is increasing dramatically -- not decreasing.

In fact, American farms have applied 318 million more pounds of pesticide over the last 13 years of GM commercially sourced seeds.
    In 2008 alone, GM crops required 26% more pounds of pesticide per acre, than fields planted with non-GM seed varieties.

And it's going to get nothing but worse from here on in -- most GM seed varieties are never allowed to naturally mutate and build a resistance to insects.
    The weeds the pesticide/herbicides are applied to however, do mutate and have built up an alarming resistance to RoundUp.
    This has led to Dow's development of a pesticide which now contains among other chemicals, 2,4-D34 which is a principle ingredient of the defoliant called 'Agent Orange'.
    And last year Dow applied to the USDA to commercialize a 2,4-D tolerant GM Corn.
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been testing the fuel in my area with one of these simple ethanol testers from Ebay
    ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=121138347163)

So far all the regular gasoline (3) has 10% ethanol and all the high test (3) have 0% ethanol.

Maybe the blenders just put the ethanol in the regular lower grade which is their high volume seller? BTW, all the fuel comes in the same pipeline as pure gasoline.

Since you should get better MPG I'm thinking the high test is a better price performer?

Also tested two different stations that advertise ethanol free and they were correct. But why pay the premium for advertised " ethanol free" when high test appears to be "ethanol free"?

Some of you should get this tester ($10.99 free shipping) and report back your results. The alcohol in the up to 10% gas mixes with the water in the tester and raises the separation line between the water and gasoline to show the ethanol percentage. Simple test but works.