Fastway Adventure Footpegs - Big Thumbs Up!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Yardstick, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of footpeg options for the big bikes right now and I probably over-analyzed each one. Do I trust the small hardware used in the add-on type for the kind of riding I do? Is there enough grip? Is the peg TOO grippy or dangerous if I fall? Will the peg fold up enough to keep from ripping the footpeg mount off the frame? And on and on... It came down to a couple of choices - stay with stock or find more stock footpegs or a couple sets of Fastways to make Frankenpegs. Then I found the Fastway Adventure Footpegs.

I e-mailed Pro Moto Billet/Fastway to express my concerns about their footpeg being aluminum and about the amount they fold up. A couple hours later I had a reply addressing my concerns and a request to call in if I had any more input. I called. :evil After hearing how much thought and actual engineering (and some build 'n' break methodology) went into these, I was convinced. PMB/Fastway also has the ability to tweak the design as necessary down the road since they manufacture these in-house!

I got the pegs last night and loctited all the pins in. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time (or light) this morning and the pictures I took didn't all come out very well. Here are what I did get (more later and/or on request!).

Compared to stock. These guys have actually done some Finite Element Analysis to try to optimize the strength of the pegs.
    [​IMG]

Mounting these is a WHOLE lot easier than the stock pegs. Also, check out the shape. They have a 45-degree cut at the rear, close to the mount, to provide extra clearance when folded up. The front, outside corner is rounded which should help to keep it from hanging up on things.
    [​IMG]

They fold up pretty well. In the low/back position shown here, there is no contact between the pins and brake pivot area yet. I think there is even a little room for improvement here by shaving the stop you can see in the first picture.
    [​IMG]

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up for the Fastway Adventure Footpegs and the guys at PMB/Fastway. :thumb I'm not easy to convince or to please when it comes to aftermarket stuff but these guys have done a great job with these pegs.
  2. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up with pics :thumb . I have been on the fence for a while. I loved pivot pegs on other bikes but would like to support CJ and run add on's. Now I have a 3rd choice to consider-fastway.
  3. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Hi Thanks for the write up. I own Fastway Evo2 pegs for my EXC and agree that they build quality equipment. I have been pondering these Adventure pegs for my SE but I would need to mount them in the "LoBoy" position. Would you be able to add any information on how well they fold in this position or how much lower they sit? My EVO2s dropped my feet roughly .75" at least in practical leg position if not actual vertical height. I measured it at my knee vs the tank while sitting on the bike.

It appears from the pictures that you are using the "LoBoy" position is why I ask...

One additional tip...I believe the springs are intended to go inside the frame mount (I notice you have the top over/on the mount). You will avoid a lot of wear on the frame mount by squeezing it inside and get a bit more resistance from the spring...at least if it works the same as the EVO2s.
  4. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Nice write up!
    Those look the treat.
    Better than the all billet alu ones I keep seeing.
  5. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    In the pic where I show the peg folded up, that's about the same angle as stock. Since the peg is longer it does stick out more when folded.

I should have measured from the floor to the peg when I switched them to get a good comparison of drop. It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8-1/4 inch at the peg. I'm running the longer traction pins (set screws) so they're probably closer to the stock height than they could be with shorter pins. I really don't notice that much difference, but I'm probably just not very sensitive to it. They are a BIG platform to stand on. That is something I notice in a big way. I have these on my 990 R and I keep thinking I need to order a second set for my SE!

On the spring, I remember trying it both ways and the way I have it seemed to work the best. There wasn't quite enough space to get them totally inside the footpeg bracket.

They are billet aluminum, actually. I really like the design of these pegs. It seems like a lot of thought went into them.
  6. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Allen,

Are these the ones from KTM Twins for $270ish? Dillon just ordered mine in orange of course! I know, they will get all scrached up, but hey, I never fall!!:deal:lol3

See you soon Brother, Eric.
  7. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Those are the ones! You're gonna like 'em! :thumb
  8. fastdirt505

fastdirt505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be getting some. I like how big they are to distribute your weight. I bruised my foot two months ago riding in casual shoes and jumping off road with the stock pegs. I think these pegs will solve that issue.
  9. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Boots would really help a lot more with that issue! :eek1
  10. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my EXC, I use the long spikes in the back, and short ones in the front. Fits the curve of the bottom of the boots much better.

These are on the growing list of future farkles.
  11. soupbone

soupbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those are a necessity. as i stand quite often, even when riding on the street. being able to move your feet around on the pegs is +1 also.
  12. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I would have ever bought them do to the price, but I bought a bike with them on already and now, I don't think I ever want a bike with out them, there an awsome add on.
  13. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the extra info Yardstick. These are on my list for sometime in the next few months. I'm spending a ton on the SE right now not to mention shop time. Once I catch up to what I've got on hand I can add some more :evil I figure those pegs and the Renthal Ricky Carmichal Fatbar (big rise) I have to put on should fit me really well (6'5") and improve riding comfort and control greatly.
  14. wreckinshop

wreckinshop super enduro

Oddometer:
    I have the old style fastways and they are awesome!! I just bought a 990r with pivot pegs on them and I hate them, they are to narrow for offroading.
  15. jsg161968

jsg161968 daydreamer

Oddometer:
    These pegs are way nice for sure. I got these pegs because they run lo-boy and I'm 6'3"
  16. fastdirt505

fastdirt505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got mine and love them. I'm a huge fan of lower pegs and these are so comfortable standing up that I feel like I'm on flat ground. With the 950 being wider than a 450 bike these give you plenty of room. They did get me one time when dabbing my foot down to prevent a slide out. I'd love to put them on my 250. I might try it and see if it works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The boots are empty and just sit there even all the way out at the end.
    [​IMG]
  17. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received mine. Can anyone tell me what this part is ? There was only one. Should I have two ?

Thanks

[​IMG]
  18. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had some on a former bike and they worked out great even though they were almost on the "too large" side. Nice to see the smaller options. Also note that you can change out those allen-head thread posts with some button-head screws from the hardware store if you want a little less friction to your boot or to prevent an eventual hole in the bottom of rubber soles.

[​IMG]
  19. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    That part is a tool to be used to hammer the collar into or out of the footpeg.
  20. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Hey Fastdirt- where'd you get those??