The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Dean,

In CA the smog warranty on our cars covers pretty much everything emissions related until I think at least 80,000 miles or 8 years, IIRC. If bikes come under the same rules, (and the state is making noise about it) what do you see as the impact on warranties? Emissions stuff means if your car fails a smog check, its pretty likely its a warranty item. If you think about it, that covers a lot of stuff. Pretty much the whole fuel injection system, catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, and more. In essence, the engine better not be polluting above limits for the 8 years/80K miles.

I think all that adds about $150 to the price of a car. Wonder what it will do to the price of a bike?
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Is there any emission testing done on bikes? Or did I never own one long enough to find out? :lol3
  3. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but I would not be surprized to see it coming. I think 2013 is the last year we can alter exhaust pipes.:eek1
  4. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
  5. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dark one looked like this:

[​IMG]

And the red white and blue one looked like this

[​IMG]

These are images from SJ BMW's (http://www.sjbmw.com/bikes.asp?s=new&bid=198) web site.

Is there a different 2013 R1200GS out there, with the exhaust pipe pointing forward, that weighs 525 lbs with a 720W alternator (things that drew my attention)?

Honestly, I haven't been paying attention to the new R1200GS as of late, and thought all 2013's were water cooled (to some degree).
  6. zzrwood

zzrwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Patrick

Those pictures are of the previous model. The current R1200GS (water-cooled) is a completely new bike sharing no parts with the ones pictured.

Cheers

Robert from Oz
  7. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks for the clarification! I thought that "2013" was equal to "liquid cooled" ... so I do feel better now that I am not waiting for one of the new new ones!
  8. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    Time for the morning news update. (NLS, got you again, you need to be faster ;) )

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QX5GCDihLqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Europe there are emission tests for bikes, but only upon construction. The current norm is EU3 for bikes, and EU5 for cars. Diesel cars (in Belgium) need to pass an emissions test as from 4 years of age, petrol and bikes not (yes, there are diesel motorcycles).
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get the impression only few people took the spoke wheels.
  11. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can easily count that. Over here 2 years is included, and 2 additional years can be bought for between 350 and 500 euro's.
  12. Rauven

Oddometer:
    I'm aware that nothing in this world is for free ;) But with the price of the bike here, few hundred euro up or down doesn't really matter. The bike is still incredibly expensive :p I have a stoic approach, I don't stress about things I cannot influence, and just take them as they come ;)
  13. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep up at the back:rofl
  14. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Talking about living under a rock (ok maybe you ride around climbing OVER rocks and don't have much time for Internet).
  15. NLS

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am getting slow. :)
    I'd say it's the time zone but I would be lying. I am just getting slow.
    Thanks for the update.

(why people use just 720p nowadays... 1080p PEOPLE! 4K is coming!)
  16. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't really worry either. If the price was an issue I would have bought something else.
    Why did I buy one? Cause I want one and I can.

And as a plus side: Since it is officially used for professional purpose (I use it to commute and work in a heavily congested area) I get quite a lot of my money back from the taxes.
  17. NLS

Oddometer:
    Erm... yes ok. Why are you telling me things I know?

BTW in Greece they just started (this year I think) periodic emission and safety tests for bikes.
    One way to get more money of course.
    Will be interesting to see people renting their stock exhausts. :D
    Will also be interesting to see what are they going to do with all the 20-30+ years old mopeds.
  18. Rauven

Oddometer:

Aren't we in the same time zone ? ;)

Same here :) Or actually I get a tax return for commuting to work not dependent on the vehicle. It's just based on the distance I have to commute in a year. As well can be on a cool bike ;)

With I can thing. So true. I answer always cracked me up, in Pimp My Ride one of the mechanics said "You might ask me why did I put 9 LCD tvs in the floor and one under the car... Well... Because I can !" And that sums it up ;)
  19. NLS

Oddometer:
    No we have an hour difference. Still I would be lying to give such an excuse. It's not like we are half day apart.
  20. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here cars can also be included in the tax return, but they are limited to 0.15€/km. For a motorcycle you can put all your costs into the return. It gets quite interesting if you play it like that.