chain guide faluire

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by booger1, Oct 26, 2012.

1. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got an 06 adventure. the rubber chain guide that protects the swingarm has failed and now the chain is starting to grove in to the swingarm. I'm in Durango Mexico right now with another week before getting back to the states.
    Does anybody know what I can do to patch this in the time being or does anybody know of a KTM dealer here in Durango. I'm going to post this in the regionals too.
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Get a cheap plastic cutting board and cut it into strips that you can make fit. These are very abrasion resistant and will be easy to find in any city in the world.
  3. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If worse comes to worse that's what I'll do. The Honda shop that comes highly recommended at getting bikes back on the road despite make is right around the corner.
    Someone in Mexico City has offered to drive one up to me if they have it in stock on Monday.
    Or the next option is to have the Honda shop order it and expedite shipping and maybe leave on Tuesday, which isn't all that bad of a plan, just riding thru here, there's alot to see, but it's all up in the air until the morning.
    Thanks
  4. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    when you get a new guide make SURE to (at least) use thread-locking agent on the bolts holding it in place. There isn't a lot of thickness to the swingarm so you don't get lots of turns before you run the chance of pulling aluminum out. There is a TSB on thread-locking the bolts but mine come loose again so went at it another way...

To create a permanent solution I used allen-head screws and drilled a hole into the side of each head. Once installed (& loctited) I ran a loop of stainless steel safety wire from the top bolt to the bottom (pulling the wire clockwise to prevent any loosening) and wired the two together, running the wire down the inside of the shock opening in the swingarm to keep the wire out of harms way, twisting up the ends and tucking it against the guide so it won't catch on anything. I'm busy prepping for the Franken-Storm that's about to hit the Northeastern U.S. or I'd crawl under mine & snap a picture for you :huh

After seeing most of them loose or fallen out on customer bikes I encourage everyone to do this modification- especially if you take yours offroad into rocky stuff (which I do) where the guide gets hammered.

Good Luck!!!
  5. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know about the TSB until the failure, but parts are on the way possible get it fixed by tomorrow afternoon.
    Yes mine has seen some rocky stuff this trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Looks like your boots found the right line. :lol3

That's great that SR was able to hook you up with the new chain guide. :clap
  7. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very gratefull to him.
    Wait to hear the story with that one.
  8. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    SR is good people. :freaky

You having a good trip, Andy? Looks like you found the good riding. :ricky
  9. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm having a blast, ppl have been extremely helpful, and the food, that's all I have to say about that, and the riding has been incredible.
    Thanks for all your tips and words of wisdom.
  10. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:

That, sir, is an epic pic.

Sometimes it's the breakdowns/crashes that make us take the time to look around at the sights & meet the locals on a new level. I know every single person I ever encountered in Mexico was ready to help & would "give you the shirt off their back". I hope your adventure expanded just a little more because of this. Hey, you might even get a few extra days off work, right? Just another excuse to drink more beer :1drink

in case your bolts went missing, you're after some 6x10 fasteners. If you can find an airport the guys in the shops should be able to drill & wire them up for you. I can't give you the "bucket" dimensions but some well-chosen washers oughta do it for now to get you home

Great that the AdvRider community comes thru again

Good Luck!
  11. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
  12. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good to hear, amigo. :thumb
  13. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike has been repaired (thanks to SR) and I'll be back on teh road in the morning.
    Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.