sidestand help

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DustyWheels, Dec 17, 2012.

1. DustyWheels

DustyWheels Nomadic motorcyle traveller

Oddometer:
    My sidestand switch hasnt worked for some time, so decided it was time to get it sorted.

If my understanding is correct when these fail the bike will not start, but that is not the case with mine, aways able to start the bike regardless of wethr the stand is down or not.

anyway removed the switch to clean and test the switch and out of curiosity tried starting the bike with the switch removed, bike started no problems.

I thought that with the switch dissconnected ie open circuit, then the bike should not have started, am I on the right track here ??

switch tested ok

Next thing that has me guessing is what to check next and why bike started ?
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try putting it in gear with the wires open. It should die.
  3. DustyWheels

Oddometer:
    Just tested it all again, bike starts regardless of whether switch is connected or switch position or if in gear.
  4. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any chance a previous owner bypassed the safety switches in another location? It doesn't necessarily have to be done at the side stand.

It is also possible to bypass the clutch switch. If this was done then the starter can be engaged with the bike in gear and clutch released. Be ready for the jump forward ! :deal
  5. DustyWheels

Oddometer:
    Yes after re-reading the H.O.W I'm thinking next course of action will be to check for Clutch bypass and Gear selector bypass, but I'll wait till I have the tanks off next or I get bored
  6. AirDale

AirDale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I found with my 2007 SE was it would start and go into gear but when I began to release the clutch the engine would die. I ended up cutting the switch wire after the last connector and wiring the red and black wired together and left the blue wire with no termination, wrapped it all up, plugged it back together and it worked as it should. No aftermarket plug and no wait and no $30.
  7. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    The 950 ADV and the SE use different systems to detect the side stand position and therefore one modification will not work on the other. The ADV uses a physical rotary switch where the SE uses a hall effect switch. The 990 is different as well, 2.2k ohm resister between blue and pink will keep the ECM happy, splicing them directly together will not work. The 950 ADV will work by tying the green and black together.
  8. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK. 2007 990 Adv. " 2.2K" ohm resistor? I have 22,000 ohm Radio Shack resistors left from the de-smog, which would be 22K. Am I off a digit or a k or what. Or do I need a 2,200 ohm?

Thanks
  9. dmn0507

dmn0507 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure I get the point. I am just trying to clarify the resistor sizing for the 990, which I understand requires a different solution than the 950s and Super Enduros....
  11. dmn0507

dmn0507 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a voltage divider something around 1K should be ok.
    Small resistors are rated for up to 0.25W, so with 5 V and 1K resistor you are about 10 times smaller than the resistor limit (but I'm sleepy and I had a beer, so double check the values :lol3)
    I = V/R (W= V*I)