Sporting Wood Intake System for 990 Yeah Baby!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by renogeorge, Sep 26, 2013.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just fitted up my system.

The ITG filter is a great improvement. As an old dirt bike guy, I am more than comfortable with the foam filter. $40 for a paper filter from KTM always bothered me.

But, the best part the immediate performance gain. I have 6+ years experience with the carbed 950. After a lot of fiddling I had my 950 right where I wanted it. After switching to an FI 990 recently, I wasn't so sure about the whole Fuel Injection deal and the lag and flat spots I was getting at low-mid throttle openings.

In one shot (I know only change one thing at a time) I switched to a 2 into 1 exhaust and the Sporting Wood Intake system. I had bought the cable and was/am ready to do the mapping deal with Tune ECU. For grins, I fired it up and ran it up to Lake Tahoe. With no other adjustment, it runs great--flat spots and lag are gone! I have a very slight popping on decel. So I am looking forward to playing with Tune ECU and some different maps.

Oh yeah----did I mention how much easier it is to access plugs and cylinder heads for routine maintenance?

Best $160 I ever spent!!!
  2. mikeash

mikeash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get it for $160?
  3. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I'm lovin mine!

[​IMG]
  6. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered mine. :)
  7. 666

666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here.
  8. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    FlyingPenguin had this on his bike during the KTM Rally in Steamboat. Great stuff, and it gives you all sorts of new elbow room around the carbs.

About the only thing I despise about my bike is getting the carbs out of that box. No more!!!
  9. Katoom72

Oddometer:
    If my finances allow me to, i'm getting one aswell.
  10. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Yup, same here. The performance and ride-ability gains were icing on the cake but the main goal was losing that damn airbox.

[​IMG]
  11. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    mine's been good so far. Nice to pull a lever to change the air filter. I do a fair amount of off road riding with my SE so the 600 mile air filter change was getting old (and $$$).

[​IMG]

more power may be nice, but the ease of maintenance and quick filter cleaning is what sold me. oh, and the sound when you get on it. :lol3
  12. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    you 950 guys, what did you do to the jetting? im currently running a H2W jet kit/pre filter and dual exhaust. thinking about the upgrade....
  13. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I rode part of the Colorado BDR with FlyingPenguin on his 2005 950 ADV. He had the ITG air filter on, and his settings were pretty much stock with floats at 4mm and mains at 162/168. He had to close his FlexJets completely to run at the higher elevations, but the bike ran.

Once we fixed my carbs, I was running my stock airbox with the side doors off and also running 4mm floats. My mains were at 160/165. I also had my FlexJets closed fully, and the bike ran perfectly at elevation, and it runs very well at home (900' elev.) with FlexJets out 2.5 turns. I am guessing that I will not need to make more changes to the jetting once my ITG shows up next week. :freaky

So, if you move your floats to 4mm and make adjustments around that, you should be able to find a setup that works well for you quickly.
  14. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike is set up as follows:
    2005 950

45 Pilot
    Needle clip 2nd from top
    165/168 Mains
    4mm float
    Stock air jet
    Flexxjets

2 into 1 exhaust

Whenever I went over 9-10000 feet I twisted the Flexxjets closed and all the bike ran fine on all the high passes.

And like Orangecicle said, the best part of the air filter improvement is the accessibility. I have left the rear 2 bolts out of the glovebox so all it takes is removing the front glovebox bolts and the fuse holder bolts- 5 minutes and the carbs are loose and ready to work on.
  15. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    FlyingPenguin preparing to cross a washout on the TAT
    [​IMG]
    Made it with ease down the drop
  16. Katoom72

Oddometer:
    How do you ITG/Rottwieler owners direct the bowl vents? Same way like the box is on?
  17. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Yep, same 10"/11" vent hoses.
  18. buzybraza

buzybraza Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the no airbox setup for the LC8 engine because of better power/throttle response and ease of access!!!
  19. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    165/168 mains, 45 pilots, 4mm floats, 1.25 turns on the screws, Factory Pro needles set to the 3rd clip. I could maybe go fatter but I like the 40mpg.

The 4mm float height leans everything out and is critical and key.
  20. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I"m about the same as Chuck Racer- I think I did a bit bigger on my main (168/170 or 170/172? pretty sure the latter), 45 pilots, 4mm floats (or at leat what I think was 4mm as the floats were uneven side to side), FP needles at the middle slot (3rd), and not sure about the turns on the flex jet screws as it ran fine the way it was so I didn't screw with it more..

700' elevation, ATL. dual akros.