the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like lots of folks I have a FMF header also.
    First I had the stock header with the homemade tapered mid pipe,later with the FMF PowerBomb.
    I had looked at various mid pipe options but they were all standard bends with all manner of bits stuck in the end or two bends spigot ed into each other,none were tapered.
    They were all way over priced for my liking and nothing to write home about in general.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mid pipe was plain old muffler grade U Bends,the taper little more than the same tube split,a wedge cut out then pulled back together with hose clamps,dollied,welded and dressed.
    The flange was a piece of old plate hacksawed,filed and drilled.
    Cost $18.
    The muffler hanger bracket for the F40 was the same ghetto plate but mounted inside the frame,that allowed a industrial rubber damper mount to be used ( rubber centre with studs out each end) from the plate to the muffler bracket.
    It would be no heavier than a stainless version and one day it will be jet hot coated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only mod it has had was modifing the inlet and taper to suit the bigger outlet FMF header that bolted straight on.
    It might have even been the first PowerBomb for a DR650 to be fitted in Australia. :evil
    I can't see how it would not work unless these fancy mid pipes are not in the same spot as the original DR muffler given it dictates things being fixed to the frame not the header same as the mid pipes.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    FWIW, my bike came delivered with the stock exhaust and a box of bits that included a Megacycle muffler and matching midpipe, made in Melbourne here in Oz. I was warned by the PO that it was loud. It also came with a 'tea strainer' cap. I fitted the cap and muffler and mid pipe and felt the noise hardlly any worse than stock. I didn't try it without the cap. I then got the PB header and got Megacycle to supply me with a short section of tube with one end expanded, so one end was male and the other female. I then cut up the original mid pipe and TIGed it all together. As mentioned, the header needed the exhaust flange ground with a slight taper to get it to all line up, clearing the frame and spring etc. I considered 2 gaskets but felt there wasn't enough depth in the head to make that successful.

Subjectively, the first impression after fitting the header and with no other changes, was a quieter note again, which I like, and a smoother mid range, a tad torquier. Imagination, maybe, but for me, if nothing else, I like the additional quiet it achieves. FWIW, I've briefly ridden a DR recently with a TM40 and GSXR 40 can, Jesse midpipe and PB header. It was a lot noisier than mine, I expected less noise, and I reckon its too noisy for me. This surprised me after all the good reports this muffler gets, and also knowing the PB header mutes it a bit too.But it also probably had a bit more grunt than mine too. We didn't get them side by side, maybe later, but not a lot in it in his favour I think.

The dyno seemingly says the PB header adds no value, but my seat of the pants said otherwise. Dynos don't always tell the whole story.

I got mine in May 2010 and fitted shortly after. How does that compare with ADV8s fitting date?

Steve
  3. opium89

opium89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who said anything about this being Jesse's fault or returning the pipe for that matter? Seems to be enough evidence around here stating that the FMF header does not fit very well. Jesse should know this, as well as the person who ordered it without doing his/her research. Besides, you're talking about what? Maybe 2-3 horsepower gain if any, on what is essentially an over-sized and over-weight pig of a dirt bike. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? If you're trying to build a two-wheeled performance machine, the DR is probably not the best platform to start with. The DR does what it does well, raw power and blinding speed are not in that list no matter how much money you plan to throw at it.

Sorry if you feel this is busting your balls, just trying to throw a little reality your way.
  4. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My visa records online will not go back far enough.
    I pre payed for mine months before FMF started production so it should have been sent from the first batch to land at Procycle.
    First thing noticed (with the GSXR can) was it was quieter with the PowerBomb but then all it is is a small chamber with a perforated tube and packing just like a muffler.
    The expansion might give a little more scavenging but is debatable,they are somewhat different to the powerbomb chambers on the MX versions.
  5. NewDR650seOwner

NewDR650seOwner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a baja style racing light laying around?

Kinda intrested about HID.

Are they simple to install on an '07 DR?

Ive seen pictures of 8'' ones, they look pretty bad!:evil

[​IMG]
  6. N.dica

N.dica Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Whereas I agree she's a wee bit of a pig, if it is horsepower that is sought why not just throw on the tm40 or fcr, and go with the 790 kit ala Procycle. There you go. Nice and powerful, especially for the weight. Then you can simply do what fits nice and easy with your gsxr can and not worry about the details.....unless you are worried about the cosmetics. You will have plenty of raw power and speed enough for a bike that is not a crotchrocket. But then again-- thats just what works for me...
  7. opium89

opium89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. If you're going to spend performance dollars, spend them where they will make the most/best difference. N.dica, do you have the 790 kit installed? If so, I'd like a full report please!
  8. N.dica

N.dica Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Give me two weeks, brother:) Ive got the budget and its next on my list. Ive got so many farkles on my ride yet I think this one will top them all. I love how each person customizes their bike to their own desires. I'm all about making it better, faster and stronger. Its teaching me a lot as I'm doing all the wrenching myself- this board has bean a tremendous resource. Without the advice of all the other inmates, it wouldn't be as easy...The only thing, is that in spite of the exhaustive list of modifications I've already made, there is always another, and another, and still another way to customize it. Thank god I don't have a wife, otherwise it'd never happen...hahaha
  9. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bin der, dun dat. :deal
  10. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    exactly. except... i have $4k in my dr650, which includes the bike itself. this includes sm wheels/tires, rm usd front end w/upgraded springs, upgraded rear shock, set-up fcr39 carb, k&n cone filter, powerbomb header, hi-flo midpipe, tuskigi gsxr can, corbin seat, hid lighting, vapor trail tech speedo/tach, etc... the bike runs freaking awesome.

the 790 kit? sounds nice, and if i could get 'er done w/the big walves and cam for $1k installed, i might bite. (when i bought my '95 buell s2 back in '98, it cost me $800 installed for two new heads and pistons, which took power from 76hp/76ft-lbs torque to 101hp/84ft-lbs torque - that was cost effective.)

but if you're talking performance dollars, instead of the complete 790 kit, which will run ~$2400 uninstalled, you may as well simply pick up a nice used aprilia sxv550 (or rxv550 if you want a dirt oriented ride). 70hp and ~270lbs dry. if you really want to spend performance dollars, that's the ticket. (or opt for a ktm 690 or husky 630 if you don't want something quite so hi-strung.)

but, for a fun nice performing reliable all-around excellent bike, putting a fine carb and complete exhaust system on the dr650 is good performance for the money, and not ridiculously expensive like the complete 790 kit w/big walves and cam...

ymmv,

doug s.
  11. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a quick thanks to Procycle and Tech23. I ordered my TM40 per my set up and it ran perfectly right outta the box...& as usual, got here quickly.

Tech23 gave me a couple of pointers on the install. Take the airbox and connector boot off. The installation instruction say to loosen the airbox to make it easier, but there's another 2 reasons to do this. When adjusting the throttle cables, it makes it very clear if the slide is opening all the way during WFO or not because you can look down the carb throat. Second - the AP squirt can be aimed at the needle or emulsion tube so the fuel stream breaks up and disperses into the airstream.

Minor things and fine tuning maybe, but absolutely helpful. Thx Tech23.

On a side note, I sold my FCR to another local DR guy and installed it on his bike for him with all the appropriate "breathing" mods. The instructions for the FCR install do not say to trim the "locator" tabs off of the intake boot which are there to center the stock carb (the TM40 instructions say to chop 'em off for a better seating of the carb). I noticed the "centering tabs" kept the FCR from seating as fully as it could by about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch. If it were mine, I'd chop 'em per the TM40 guidelines. New FCR owner didn't want to.

I also did his NSU's and they "snapped" loose....one more than the other. 2009....6300 miles. At least it's done - my 5th bike completed.

Anyway, thanks for all the help this board has been and thx to Procycle over the years for suspension guidance, parts availability and great customer service.
  12. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I really didn't need to know about that Aprilla bike...

It just fuels the continual thoughts that #1, I want a bike like that, and #2, that is THE MOTOR a lot of us want for our dual sports, even if it was toned down a bit for reliability. A 500 to 600cc lighter v-twin would make my DR650 a bike worth keeping for a very long time.
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to installing the new springs that have been sitting in my kitchen for 51 weeks. No rush (apparently) but I wanted the springs in before sweep riding our Classic BBR this weekend. In the process of getting the shock out to replace the spring, I removed the airbox and found a good reason (for me) to leave the snorkle in place. It would appear that the last time I had the shock out, (to max the preload, hence the reallity of upgraded springs) I wasn't careful enough tightening the bolts that mount the airbox as one was missing. Upon removing the box I noticed a rattle and sure enough the missing bolt had rolled into the snorkle and taken up residence inside so it saved me having to find a replacement. Of course had it been either of the other two bolts it would have just vanished. Ran out of daylight before getting to the new fronts, no room inside the garage so the lift is on the patio, perhaps I will catch a break tomorrow and have a few hours without rain so I can finish up.

Bruce
  14. Tech23

Tech23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish Suzuki would just build this thing. They already have a 650 V twin, just need to manufacture an aluminum frame and use DRZ SM wheels and suspension parts to tie it all together.

[​IMG]

Tech23
  15. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...dream on.

Unfortunately, Suzuki seem to quite satisfied with the market share they have and aren't interested in appealing to 10% of that share who want something better/different.

I am convinced that having 3 simple versions of the DR, like the DRZ range, would be a huge winner for them. But they see it as taking away from other models that make more money.

Some of the people that buy the V-strom now at $14k here, would switch to a Motard or Adventure spec DR at $9k given the chance. Similarly, some who buy the DRZ at $9.5 currently would switch to a trail version of the DR at similar price.

They seem to regard the existing line up as enough, and our desires are mere "wants" versus "needs".

Any change to the range would see the DR priced to reflect the sales it takes away from other models in the line up. Without the price advantage the DR doesn't look quite as good as it does now.

I'd like to see a proper off road spec version of my BMW F800GS. The reality is that 95% of them don't see the off road work I do, so it's a pipe dream. I'll just have to build what I want.
  16. sagebrushocean

sagebrushocean Harris's hawker

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a Japanese Dorsoduro.
  17. Tech23

Tech23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too, I'd like to see an offering from all four! :evil Talk about a pipe dream :jkam

Tech23

Hey, TrophyHunter...you're welcome. :beer
  18. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Oh great.

Now you've got me thinking.

If I had a steel trellis frame version I could graft on any rear end I want from the Suzuki range - to keep it pure Suzuki.

I'm sure I'm going to live to regret this. To eBay...
  19. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. n2deep1901

n2deep1901 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dr 650 surge
    <!-- #dg-post-title --><!-- message -->Has anyone else experienced a bad surging while at sustained speeds using 1/4 throttle? Currently have stock carb with procycle jet kit, slide drilled, largest main jet clip on 4th groove, airbox mod, and about to install a new exhaust. I've tried adjusting the fuel mixture multiple times, but cant get the surge to go away.

If anyone has experienced this and knows what's causing it, or how to fix it, please let me know.
    I started a seperate thread about it, please respond on http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797944

Thanks
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->