478 data card load

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Motorrad, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay. I have a problem..

I used to have my CityNav, R&R and Topo all on one computer.. It died.

All my CD's got left in a motel in liberal Kansas during the TAT (thank you cousin who was incharge of them).

I have since gotten the update copy of City nav, and a copy of R&R.

On my wifes OLD work computer, I still have topo installed..

I know when you load data onto the garmin data card, its all in one shot, or it deletes whats there.

what Im trying to do, is load alaska and canada off City nav, from one computer, and load topo from another, all on the data card..

I can figure out how to do it, without the 2nd upload just erasing the first

is there any way I can do this? or am I SOL...
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry,all need to be loaded at same time,otherwise most recent loaded set overwrites the prior map set.

JR356
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    :nod

You may have a shot at transferring the Topo information to the new computer depending on the files that are on the old one. If you copied the whole disk, and then image still exists, you could copy that to the new computer and then do the install from there.

If you used the install routine from the disk, then you are pretty much screwed. There could be ways to do it, but they involve registry modifications after transferring the files, and that is beyond my pay grade.
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Can't you just back up the file called gmapsupp.img before you do the update so you can always go back to what you had, if nothing else? There's no reason that you have to let the update overwrite the existing maps file, as far as I know.

But then I don't have a 478.
  5. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Have you tried MapInstal instead of MapSource? .

Edit:

Sorry, it appears that MapInstal works the same as MapSource and will only do a complete re-write. My bad.