Updated Routing Tutorial for Garmin Mapsource

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by 9Dave, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mazman808

mazman808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the city nav pre loaded into the unit(australian full map), however it doesnt have all the firetrails ill be going on so cant use it.

I also have the shonkymaps on my sd card which is inside the unit as well, and will be using that to navigate as that has the firetrails i need, but yes, that map is non routable so i have to basically draw the map lines manually the way i want to travel.

I tried looking up the "off road" routing but not sure where that setting is.
    In EDIT>PREFERENCES>DISPLAY there is an option for route avoidance 1.OFF/2.ON/3.AUTO
    Is this what your talking about? and i should have it set to off?

I see what you mean by if i go off my route, but if im using the shonkymap which is not routable, i should not have a problem, i just got to follow the map lines, yea?

cheers.
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    No in Mapsource it's EDIT>PREFERENCES>ROUTING>USE DIRECT ROUTES
    (I'm still using the old Mapsource v6.13.7, but I think it's still the same)

It's more important to have it set on the unit though, for what you are doing:
    TOOLS>SETTINGS>NAVIGATION>ROUTE PREFERENCE>OFF ROAD
  3. mazman808

mazman808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yea on the unit i chose off road, i found that and was able to select it, havent used it yet so not sure what that actual does...

But, in mapsource, i have the 6.16.1 version and in edit>preferences> there is no routing option tab! so they must of changed it.

Thanks heaps for your help so far, youve been a great help:clap
  4. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm using MapSource 6.16.2;

Edit > Preferences > Routing > Route Style:

"Use Auto-Routing"

or

"Use Direct Routing"

Bruce
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I just remembered - You have City Nav on the unit but not loaded on your computer, so you don't have an autorouting mapset loaded. That's probably why that option deosn't show up - no routing preferences when you can't route!
  6. rotax793

rotax793 gravel hunter

Oddometer:
    The availability of the routing tab depends on the map products installed on computer. If, for example, you only have a map which does NOT support auto-routing the setting will default to direct routing and the tab will not appear.
  7. COG-528

COG-528 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Streetpilot 2610 and a copy of the 2008 edition of MapSource<sup>®</sup>. I created a route for a COG ride to eat, "Springtime at Kundlas" - May 14th. I want to include a stop at High Point Monument here in NJ as part of the route but my version of MapSource<sup>®</sup> does not show the roads within High Point State Park so I could not include it when creating the route.

Last Saturday I check drove the route and created a Track file that shows the way in the park to the Monument. But I've no idea :dunno how I can incorporate a section of that Track file into the route or how to create a complete Route file from the Track file in my 2008 edition of MapSource<sup>®</sup>.

Does anyone here know how to accomplish either one of these goals?

Someone suggested I'd need to get a third party utility which could be a problem since I'm still running Windows 2000 on my PC.
  8. lfs225

lfs225 Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Oddometer:
    Naples, Fl with a storage unit (house) Mo
    Mapsource 6.16.3. If you want to add on to a route that you have closed you can do it by doing this:

1. Click on the route with your arrow icon. This will highlight the route.

2. Change your icon to the hand.

3. Right click on the end waypoint. Either end will work. It even remember what direction your traveling.

4. An option will be given to "extend route".

This option is not offered unless the route is highlighted.

Now can someone tell me how to make multiple routes into one route? I know about copy and paste to move routes from one file to the next but once I get two or more routes in one file how to I convert them into one route?
  9. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I got the document. Eagerly awaiting the gpx files.
  10. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Extending or inserting a route

In Mapsource (I am using 6.16.3)

1-choose the arrow tool

2- highlight route by clicking on it in the Route window, or the route itself in the map window

3-right click on either the beginning or the end of the route, depending on which you want to extend

4- pop up window opens- choose extend route

3a- to insert a new section within the route right click on the spot on the route

4a- pop up window opens- choose insert route section.
  11. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread, but there is something in MapSource that I've never been able to get to work ...
    How to simply move a waypoint. Yes, I've done searches... :-)

The instructions seem to be:
    1. Click on the Selection Tool
    2. Right Click on the Waypoint to be moved. This brings up a menu.
    3. Select Move Waypoint from the menu. This creates a black line with a Selection Tool Icon with a curved arrow under it.

Is that right? Am I missing something?

Maybe one out of 100 times, I can get this to work. It's so random I can't figure it out.
    What usually happens is that the "Move Waypoint" option on the menu just never appears.
    It's sort of frustrating, because it's the only thing I still can't figure out.

I often end up having to delete the waypoint in question and create another one, but I'd like to figure out how to move it instead.
  12. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I played with mine and found that you have to right click, then in the box that opens, right click again on the first line "waypoint" then a box with "move" appears.
    Menhir likes this.
  13. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! After days of trying to figure it out and searching for an answer, this is it.

In my (poor :-) ) defense, the answer was not inherently obvious from a contextual point of view, which is the main issue I've had with MapSource's sister program, Basecamp.

There was another complication that got in my way: For simplicity, I often create my routes in Tyre, open them in MapSource to double check everything, then transfer them to my device from there.

Using your method, sometimes I'd get the "move" menu, sometimes not. Very confuzzed I was, until I realized...

I've found the waypoints I've created in MapSource can be moved as you said, but waypoints created in Tyre and transferred to MapSource can't...the "move" menu never appears.

I don't know why this is, but I'm happy enough to know how to handle it from here.

Thanks again. :D