!979 R100RT more power for side car rig

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by MMW Motorcycle, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look, Billy, it's fair to say a bit of miscommunication went on back there. How about we drop it and try to move towards a more coherant discussion, no harm no foul? :ear

Personally, I'm intrigued to know a 336 cam is good for anything besides balast... provided it's mated to enough of the correct port work. Care to share details of those mods and how you figure it works? :ear

Am also curious to know why, if you've gotten it to breath so well, you haven't teaken it to the next logical level?

Seriously.

:ear
  2. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    So now it's Billy. I don't think it is fair to say a bit of miscommunication went on back there. You are giving yourself WAY too much credit.

Before I go on any further answering your questions pretty much point by point, why don't you answer some of my questions first.

Seriously.
  3. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Here's what I said about your beloved 336 cam and I stand by it.

I'm guessing that without the accompanying port mods you've made/had done that your 336 cam wouldn't work any better than the rest.

Is that not an accurate statement?

:ear

edit: can we please make an effort to stick to facts and try to be a little less confrontational?
  4. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    So now it is beloved? We all use to talk like that in high school but that was before any of us knew anything!

Statement? We have already covered how that is not an accurate statement about the revs or the lift.

I asked for you to answer some of my questions, not repeat the same erroneous stuff you have already stated.

On second thought, let's just call this done.
  5. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    C'mon guys. Let's just agree to disagree. Arguing does not solve the problem.:freaky
  6. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I am already there Dave. I don't think there is anything wrong with arguing. People interested in the topic can go through the different sides of the issue. Nevertheless, swift boating is total BS! It won't win any argument I am in. It will drag them on and on but what else is it good for?
  7. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Let's please cut the crap so I don't have to throw this thread in Exploding Heads.

If this thread continues with this kind of tone, we're done.

Thanks,

Kbasa
    Mod.
  8. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Half of this thread has nothing to do with helping this person out. Crazy! Find a used rear drive and start there. That will be your best investment for getting a little more low end and more usable power in the right RPM ranges. I have done this on a few different rigs and it always helps. I am speaking from almost a quarter of a million miles on Airhead sidecar experience.
  9. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    bmweuro sounds like a man that knows. I agree with him 100%. No need to over think this. Many people have done exactly that in the past, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel for what the original request was all about.
  10. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Sorry, kind of got sidetracked from the original OP's question. :rofl

A '79 RT has a fairly healthy motor in stock trim (big valve heads, 40mm Bings, 9.5:1cr) just needs some shorter gears to help you use it with the hack. And the man with the sidecar experience says the 3.09's (34:11) will pull it.

Planning to take his advice on my own R90/6 sidecar project.

:thumb
  11. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The lower ratios are the most popular for hacks - 3.36 and 3.56. I may have one of these I'd swap for a 3.0 or 3.09.
  12. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Those ratios were used on R50/5, R60's and R65's. They work great on a hack as long as you're running an 18" wheel and not looking for speeds above 70mph. Your hands will go numb. I prefer a 3:09(R90/6 or a 3:20(R75) and use a little more RPM between gears.