L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Mar 5, 2008.

1. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    where the heck is sito when you need him....:ddog

[​IMG]
  2. toast

toast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Video I took with the digital still cam from last Saturday. Sorry about the wind, have to muffle the little canon somehow.
    <object width="640" height="505">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qRyRhuHly54&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></object>

Video I found from the Feb 21st ride. Head mechanic Joel working his magic :lol3 with nowwhat providing feedback.
    <object width="640" height="505">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eg5sbliKQBM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></object>
  3. qwiksilver

qwiksilver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, but did you do the infamous V Notch? :lurk

And no one rode through Burro Schmidt Mine? You probably could...but maybe shouldn't.
  4. knlkern

knlkern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Joel!

reasons #6 = When you run your own.. and you dont have any minion's..
    the work gets done by you know who! :puke1 :lol3

reasons #7 = that salty mud is no joke :deal
    we saw a barley pop can out there that was just a scrap of its former self
    .. plus, I embellished my lake story a little to protect the innocent (or was it the guilty) :lol3

:dunno Quicksy, I'm not sure if we did the V-Notch or not.. is it near the top?
    As much as I have been up in the Rand Mountans I have never seen the Burro Schmidt Mine yet, It is on my to do list though!
    Along with the Husky memorial, to which, I have never been. :eek1
  5. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    You're supposed to jump those tracks:clap . Thats why they have the ramp leading up to it:lol3 .
  6. SergX

SergX Back on the Saddle

Oddometer:
    baby powder? thought I had to use windex? :huh
    or is that just for the tube?

was looking at the tire - and realized I could *almost* get away with not removing the tire at all, if the spoke hadn't broken right AT the nipple! :doh
    It's probably a good idea to replace the nipple along with the spoke, right?

Is it safe to ride it with 1 missing spoke (street, no dirt) until I have time to work on it?

-Sergio
  7. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could just remove the tire halfway (one bead) and replace the spoke that way. Undo the rim lock by backing the nut almost all the way off (if equipped) remove the valve core. Push the beads off the rim into the center well of the rim. Pull the bead off with your tire irons and remove the tube. Remove the rim band and find the nipple from the broken spoke. Replace the spoke and nipple with new parts. Tighten the spoke gradually until it rings when you tap it with a screwdriver. Not crazy tight, but snug. Check your rim band for holes or tears and install. Put just enough air in your tube to give it shape and stuff that into your tire. Push the stem into its hole. Use either baby powder or windex but not both, you'll end up with a mess that smells like a clean baby. Put your bead back over the rim, using just the tips of your tire irons to do the work. Be sure to keep the bead of your tire in the well/center of the rim so it is easy to move around. When all is in place, put about 10 lbs. of air in the tire and let it all back out to untwist the tube and check that all is OK. Fill the tire until the beads seat evenly on both sides of the rim and adjust pressure to the correct amount.
    You could probably ride on the street for a while with a broken spoke, but your rim is more suseptable to flexing and impacts in this condition. Might be a good time to check all of your spokes and try to figure out why one broke. Good luck.
  8. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    windex or soapy water on the bead of the tire to lubricate it onto the rim.

baby powder in the tire/on the tube to keep friction down between the tube and tire.
    also, when you ride the baby powder helps prolong the life of the tube and to keep "balling" of the tube from happening.
    tubes can tear if there is too much friction.
    i change my tube when i change my tires. i also only use 'heavy duty' tubes.

:deal
  9. datol

datol n00b and improved!

Oddometer:
    I have gotten away with riding with broken spokes for awhile before. The bad thing is that the other spokes near it will start breaking because they are overloaded. If you can get the right spoke and nipple, you might get lucky and be able to just break the bead and push the tire and tube to the side enough to get the old one out, and new one in. Worth a try.

Better sooner rather than later to save yourself chasing broken spokes around the wheel :nod

Dane
  10. nsfw

Oddometer:
    :wave sergio...if you can wait till next tues, come over to my house and we'll fix it.

then you can check each spoke using my new spoke torque wrench, but first you must research the proper torque for your particular wheel.
  11. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    You HAVE to because you ride that KLR like a motocross bike!
  12. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    That's a good one. I've never thought of calling mine that before:lol3
  13. SergX

SergX Back on the Saddle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your info guys, and the offer Joel...

I finally gave in and decided to try and replace it myself.

At first I was trying without even removing the wheel from the bike - I was actually able to replace the nipple by just breaking the bead (using windex) and prying the wheel away from the rim, then lifted it with the tire irons in the area I needed to work on. Sweet!

But when it came time to do the spoke itself I realized that it was going to turn into an ordeal!
    :fall
    I had wiggled the new spoke into place without removing the sprocket only to realize it was in the WRONG way, and the sprocket blocked the spoke from going on the correct way.
    *sigh*

Luckily my neighbor was home and he was able to provide me with some tools and muscle :lift to take the wheel off, take the sprocket off, and install the new spoke. I had to remove 2 more spokes for it to go in right.

But now it's all done and ready to ride! :super:ricky

But I might still not be able to ride on Saturday due to other things going on. :doh

-Sergio
  14. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good job Sergio. Check your other spokes too. Start by feeling them. They should not feel loose at all. Next, find a starting point and tap each spoke with something metal like a wrench or a screwdriver. As you go around the wheel you will notice they will sound a little different. They should kind of ring. If the don't ring and go thunk, that one may be loose. Don't go and tighten them all. You could end up with a wobbly rim. Go gradually around and check them out on both wheels. Careful that if you tighten up a spoke that it is not stuck or you may break another one.
  15. SergX

SergX Back on the Saddle

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Yep, I went around and checked all my spokes, found a "flat" one... I've always wondered if I need to be concerned of spokes that sound different from others... they still "ring", but in a different tone... kinda like a piano's keys have different tones... it still rings and is not flat, just not the same as some of the others.
    :confused

-Sergio

16. SergX

SergX Back on the Saddle

Oddometer:
    Another spoke broke tonight! DAMNIT!

At least I caught it in time before it did any damage or broke in the nipple.
    But looks like I'll still have to remove the wheel AND remove the sprocket to put a new one in! *sigh*

Really starting to hate spoke wheels! That's the 3rd one in 12 months! 2 in two days! WTF?! :huh
    :kboom

Sorry... just venting! :baldy

Joel, starting to think your offer about the torque wrench might be a good idea. Does the offer still stand? I'll have the spoke in by then (hopefully) but I'd like to check them all anyway.

-Sergio
  17. nsfw

Oddometer:
    sure man...:thumb
  18. mike toon

mike toon AKA Mr Pastrami

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this Sergio.

Those really high pitched sounding spokes are too tight and are taking more of their share of the load and must be loosened slightly. Joel will get it going.
  19. SergX

SergX Back on the Saddle

Oddometer:
    That explains it!!! :baldy

I thought I was adjusting my front tire, and ended up with some pretty major wobble. Ben gave me a few pointers and was able to fix most of the wobble.

Also replaced the broken spoke...

not only that, but, Joel, remember the rocks on Lynx that dislodged my rear brake linkage? Well, we (a friend and I) experimented with the rear brake, and figured out we could modify it so the brake linkage is towards the top of the wheel and will no longer be damaged by rocks! :clap

Such a simple mod! The only downer is that the brake wear indicator no longer works. But at least rocks won't leave me without brakes (and causing me to miss the turn or worse - fly off a cliff).

-Sergio
  20. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    We rode a little be o this

[​IMG]
    Traveltoad [​IMG]
    bike